Author Topic: What are BCAAs  (Read 1033 times)

jakecody

• Getbig II
What are BCAAs
« on: August 29, 2007, 08:25:08 AM »
I see and hear about BCAA but have no idea what they are or what they do.

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
Re: What are BCAAs
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 11:50:30 AM »
branch chain amino acids. they are not complete proteins.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 01:38:39 PM »
"The BCAA Are A Group Of Three Essential Amino Acids:
1.  Leucine
2.  Isoleucine
3.  Valine.
The BCAA are different from the other 17 amino acids in that they are primarily metabolized in skeletal muscle (Layman, 2003) and metabolized at a much lower rate in the liver (Norton, 2005). The rate limiting enzyme in BCAA catabolism is Branched Chain Keto Acid Dehydrogenase, which is much more active in skeletal muscle than in the liver (Norton, 2005).

Because BCAA serve as a "fuel" for skeletal muscle, supplementing with additional BCAA to improve sports performance and to treat various diseases and aliments as been suggested."

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/beast11.htm

The above link further discusses various metabolic and other puirported effects of BCAA supplementation.  Happy reading.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 09:21:59 PM »
If I recall correctly, you should not take BCAA's with other protein because it defeats the purpose
:

Alex23

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 10:04:29 PM »
If I recall correctly, you should not take BCAA's with other protein because it defeats the purpose

Which "purpose"?

Azn Muscle

• Getbig III
  • Team Nasser Forum at www.FavorMob.com/hugenasser
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 10:43:47 PM »
I too am curious about BCAAs.  Is it necessary to take BCAAs even if you already have a diet high in protein and use supplements like whey and MRPs? 

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 06:29:05 AM »
I too am curious about BCAAs.  Is it necessary to take BCAAs even if you already have a diet high in protein and use supplements like whey and MRPs? 

If you eat well and get in a good amount of protein from meat sources then you are in good shape.  Just don't sear the meat.  The maillard effect that crisps the outside of meat to a brown crust actually destroys the integrity of the protein.  The best way to cook meat for full amino bioavailability is to poach it.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 06:50:00 AM »
Which "purpose"?

BCAA do not go thru digestion, they get absorbed right into your bloodstream. I drink Xtend while training (BCAA powder) and then Whey and Waixy Maize post work out. Whey and other protein powders have plenty of BCAA as well so no need to add them

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 06:57:41 AM »
BCAA=bullshitcravinganonymousalcoholics

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 08:12:45 AM »
BCAA do not go thru digestion, they get absorbed right into your bloodstream. I drink Xtend while training (BCAA powder) and then Whey and Waixy Maize post work out. Whey and other protein powders have plenty of BCAA as well so no need to add them

Everything passes through the burning acids of the stomach first, the bile will eat away at what you have, then it gets past to the small intenstine in which nutrients then get absorbed but still continues down the tube where the nutrients get destroyed further and continue to be absorbed by the body.

busyB

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Have a Nice Day!
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 08:33:27 AM »
Everything passes through the burning acids of the stomach first, the bile will eat away at what you have, then it gets past to the small intenstine in which nutrients then get absorbed but still continues down the tube where the nutrients get destroyed further and continue to be absorbed by the body.

Sorry, not BCAA's

From Todays Dietician:
Following ingestion, BCAAs are not readily broken down by the liver. They instead circulate and compete for absorption into the blood-brain barrier with the amino acids tryptophan, tyrosine, phenylalanine, and methionine for access to the neural amino acid transport system that allows amino acid entry to the brain.