Author Topic: Cardio Thread  (Read 7405 times)

corinth

• Getbig IV
  • Team Wolf
Cardio Thread
« on: August 29, 2007, 11:02:03 AM »
Hey Rip, what do you recommend for a good cardio workout just for general cardio health, not fat loss. 

Type, duration, frequency.

My resting heart rate is 56, but I just don't have the "wind" I used to.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: Cardio Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 11:54:21 AM »
Hey Rip, what do you recommend for a good cardio workout just for general cardio health, not fat loss. 

Type, duration, frequency.

My resting heart rate is 56, but I just don't have the "wind" I used to.

There are A LOT of schools of thought about cardio, alot of opinions on how to do it, when to do it, how long to do it for, and how hard to go.  I haven't found the absolute answer, but here's my take on your question.

For general cardio health, I would recommend 3-4 times a week, up to 30 mins or so (somewhere between 20-40 mins), at a moderate intensity.  If you are not focusing on fat loss, then I don't think it matters as much when you do the cardio, so long as you do it.  I think that anything less than 20 minutes is not worthwhile.

You wouldn't want to do cardio right before weight training simply because it would deplete you and you could compromise some of the benefits of weight training.  But otherwise, I would just do it whenever you can.  This is not true for fat loss, in which case I would recommend first thing in the morning on an empty stomach - which I still think is ideal.

Moderate intensity would be somewhere around 60-75% of your max heart rate. 
If you are looking to improve your "wind," you may want to consider intervals for cardio.  I usually do intervals of light/moderate (about 65 or 70%) and heavy (about 80-85%).  This can greatly improve your cardio endurance.  You should also feel yourself getting stronger in the cardio area (i.e. improving your wind) after a couple of weeks of consistent cardio, so you are going to want to find ways to keep improving that by continuing to challenge yourself.

In terms of the type of cardio, it seems like I have tried them all LOL, and I really cannot tell much of a difference between any of them.  I think that monitoring your heart rate is more important than what kind of cardio you are doing, and you can get your heart rate going with just about any type of cardio.  I DO think that the stair climber focuses good on the glutes and hams and can actually help build muscle/tone that area....so that is my favorite. 

I have an elliptical at home as well as a recumbant bike, so I use these alot, in addition to the stair climber. 
The treadmill is great for incline walking and intervals.  I would avoid long-distance running if you are trying to maintain muscle mass in your legs.

I have been meaning to get some information together and start a thread about CARDIO, so thanks for reminding me!  Here it is LOL.  I'll add more information as I have time.

:)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 12:13:11 PM »
Regarding cardio for fat loss, here is one thing I found, and I totally agree with this. 
I have never bought into the theory that fat loss is maximized at lower target heart rates.  I prefer to do cardio at a higher heart rate because you burn more calories overall, and I don't worry about burning muscle as long as the cardio sessions are not too long (i.e., I usually go 45 minutes max at one time, not including track workouts).

The body does burn a higher percentage of calories from fat in the 'fat burning zone' or at lower intensities.  But, at higher intensities, you burn a greater number of overall calories which is what you should be concerned about when trying to lose weight. The numbers below illustrate the fat calories expended by a 130-pound woman during cardio exercise:

Low Intensity - 60-65% MHR
Total Calories expended per min. 4.86
Fat Calories expended per min. 2.43
Total Calories expended in 30 min. 146
Total Fat calories expended in 30 min. 73
Percentage of fat calories burned 50%

High Intensity - 80-85% MHR 
Total Calories expended per min. 6.86
Fat Calories expended per min.  2.7
Total Calories expended in 30 min.  206
Total Fat calories expended in 30 min. 82
Percentage of fat calories burned 39.85%

corinth

• Getbig IV
  • Team Wolf
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 12:51:54 PM »
Thanks for the great tips Rip.  I think I'm going to start off by adding some treadmill jogging after my weight workouts and build up to the interval training.

What do you think a good cardio goal is? 

What signs should one look for to judge where their cardio health is, resting heart rate, a certain time in completing a mile?

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 01:34:14 PM »
Thanks for the great tips Rip.  I think I'm going to start off by adding some treadmill jogging after my weight workouts and build up to the interval training.

What do you think a good cardio goal is? 

What signs should one look for to judge where their cardio health is, resting heart rate, a certain time in completing a mile?

Are you one of those people who is lean all the time without doing cardio?   :P :P :P
My husband is like that...he hasn't done cardio in YEARS and was just remarking the other day how he feels more "winded" than he used to. 

A good goal for you, I think, would be to get up to doing three or four 30 minute sessions a week, with at least one of them incorporating some interval training.

I think that the best way to judge your cardio health is by your heart rate as well as how you feel...resting heart rate as well as how long it takes you to recover from doing cardio.  I think that's how doctors test for cardio strength...they take you up to your max heart rate and then see how long it takes you to recover. 
You also should feel yourself improving in the cardio department.  I always notice a difference in how I feel when I pick up the cardio.  You'll get your wind back!

I'll post my cardio routine in this thread later.   :)

az

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 03:44:27 PM »
I'm doing cadrio every day now , I HATE CARDIO!!!!!!!!!!! but love the results ;D just treadmill on an incline, soon I'll get on the step mill. I usaully burn about 300 calories in 30 minutes on either machine. I wear a heart thingy and keep it up to 130-135.

corinth

• Getbig IV
  • Team Wolf
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 05:10:40 PM »
Are you one of those people who is lean all the time without doing cardio?   :P :P :P
My husband is like that...he hasn't done cardio in YEARS and was just remarking the other day how he feels more "winded" than he used to. 

A good goal for you, I think, would be to get up to doing three or four 30 minute sessions a week, with at least one of them incorporating some interval training.

I think that the best way to judge your cardio health is by your heart rate as well as how you feel...resting heart rate as well as how long it takes you to recover from doing cardio.  I think that's how doctors test for cardio strength...they take you up to your max heart rate and then see how long it takes you to recover. 
You also should feel yourself improving in the cardio department.  I always notice a difference in how I feel when I pick up the cardio.  You'll get your wind back!

Yeah, I am one of those people, always lean.  I've NEVER done any cardio before, other than playing basketball and things like that. I'm adding this strictly for cardio health.  My resting heart rate is always in the 50s, I just don't have the endurance I once had.

I'm going to add 15 minutes of moderate treadmill after my weight workouts and after I build that up to 30 minutes I'll then add the interval training.

Thanks.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 04:11:32 AM »
I use cardio as a weight loss tool for sure.

During my contest prep, I usually start with 45 minutes in the morning on an empty stomach, at least 5 days a week.  As the show grows nearer, I add another 25-45 minutes at night, after lifting, depending on how my weight loss is going.  I am usually doing double sessions by about 8 or 6 weeks out for sure.  I do lots of intervals and keep my heart rate pretty high.

During my off-season, I cut waaay back on the cardio.  This is (1) so that I don't burn out and (2) so that cardio continues to be effective for weight loss (i.e., so that my body doesn't get used to doing cardio all the time, making it so that I have to do even more to lose weight).
If I am trying to "maintain" during my offseason (i.e., not get too fat), then I will do 30-45 minutes in the morning on an empty stomach about 4 times a week.
If I am trying to bulk during my offseason, I will do 30 mins. in the morning maybe 2-3 times a week.  Some weeks, I don't do it at all when I am putting size on...although I find that I feel kind of crappy if I don't get some cardio in, so I try to do a couple sessions a week just to feel better.  I usually do lower intensity during the offseason as well.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 04:38:53 AM »
I do pretty much the same cardio regime year round and actually do less as I get close to a comp. cause I will lose too much weight if I don't.  Its funny to say this cause I was chubby kid and can get fat as heck if I slack for too long.  I don't mind doing cardio really, in fact kind of like it. 

As a comp nears I will use that time to visualize how I'm gonna do at the show, I will lots of time listen to my posing music and go thru how that is all gonna go and think up ideas for my routine.

I do 30 minutes post work out at a low intensity 118-125 HR, I like to use the elliptical mostly. Thats about it.  Oh yeah I also walk Cody the dog for about a total of 30-35 min. every day (ED) so this probally adds to it some.  I do cardio in the offseason so I can enjoy eating some of the foods I like  :)

I remember this dude at my gym who was a PT and a very big BB would always tell me to not do too much cardio and I didn't IMO but he always would see me on it, said to lose fat and get in shape to use mainly diet and I think he is right.  That and some vitamin "C"  :D usually does the trick.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 12:29:25 PM »
I remember this dude at my gym who was a PT and a very big BB would always tell me to not do too much cardio and I didn't IMO but he always would see me on it, said to lose fat and get in shape to use mainly diet and I think he is right.  That and some vitamin "C"  :D usually does the trick.

I think he's right, and I hate that he's right.   :P

I hate to diet and I LOVE to eat, and I have a big appetite, so I am always happy to exchange 45 minutes of cardio every day for more food! 

CORINTH - you should take your cardio outdoors while the weather is still nice!

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 02:21:48 PM »
I think he's right, and I hate that he's right.   :P

I hate to diet and I LOVE to eat, and I have a big appetite, so I am always happy to exchange 45 minutes of cardio every day for more food! 

CORINTH - you should take your cardio outdoors while the weather is still nice!

Me too  :'(  I agree with the points you made in your previous post very good info especially about the bod becoming acoustomed to cardio.  But Im like you I will do it just so I can eat some food up!  :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2007, 07:25:07 AM »
Someone recently reminded me of an interesting way to do cardio, which really helps to mix it up and may jump-start some fat burning. 
Mix a bit of light resistance training into your cardio.  Keep the sets relatively light but reps high to keep your heart rate up and get a good burn.  This is a pretty "fun" way to do cardio if you are doing it after your weight training.
 8)

-Do 5 or 10 minutes of cardio at moderate intensity (70%?).  Jump off the machine and do a high rep set (15-20) of a major exercise for whatever you are training that day - squats or lunges, incline press, shoulder press, lat pulldowns or rows, for example.
-Jump back on the cardio machine (or a different one if you really want to mix it up) for another 5 or 10 minutes and repeat.
-Do this as many times as necessary to get through your cardio session, whether it be 30 or 45 mins or whatever.  I would break every 5 minutes for cardio 30 mins or less, and every ten minutes for more than 30 minutes.
-You can start with a high rep set and end with a high rep set as well.  You can get in about 6 high rep sets during this workout.

This makes the cardio time go by pretty fast.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 09:34:37 AM »
Bump for cardio inspiration.

I've been slack on the cardio....I did it twice in the last four days, though, first time in almost three weeks, and I almost died............of boredom.   :P

I've got to lose a few pounds before the next bench meet in February while getting stronger at the same time, so no significant dieting.  My plan is to get back into the swing of cardio 5 times a week.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 08:13:41 PM »
AHHHHHH the cardio thread.  Time to revive it. I've been doing alot of cardio lately.

Anyone tried these new arc trainers that are out now?  My gym has a bunch of them.  They seem kind of gimmicky to me.  They aren't the regular Cybex arc trainers... on these, you can vary the length of your stride by how much you use the handles and your arms.  You can make really long strides or really short ones like on a stairmaster.  You can change your stride at any time, and you can also change direction at any time.

I find them to be a little difficult to control and maintain a consistent stride on.  And I also see how they could totally tweak your knee(s) if you use resistance and then change direction suddenly, which is hard to control.  Maybe I am slow or something, but I seriously had a hard time getting into any sort of consistent stride on it.

I'm not sure if it's the exact one in the pic, but it's like this.  All the ones in my gym are new...they are not like the other cybex ellipticals...and they are all yellow and black.

I FKN LOVE CARDIO!!!!!!!!!   ;D

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 08:26:01 PM »

Its called sexual activity, every night before sleeping, few mins, enough  ;)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 08:20:54 PM »
One of my favorite cardio machines

I'm staying away from this one until after the powerlifting meet in three weeks b/c it's just too much on the legs, but I'm sure that I'll get plenty of hours on it after that!   ::)

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 09:16:34 PM »

I'm staying away from this one until after the powerlifting meet in three weeks b/c it's just too much on the legs, but I'm sure that I'll get plenty of hours on it after that!   ::)

Thats a good cardio machine but you cant play games while using it. I like my oldschool eliptical, the only problem is the seat, my ass hurts (and no, im not getting ass raped lol), but its not a problem when im playing god of war 2 or resident evil!

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 10:03:17 PM »
LOL he looks like his from the future

TEAM Nasser

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 12:30:02 AM »

I love that cardio machine also Rip, after like 30 to 40 minutes, my legs are melting and I am holding on for dear life. Sweat pouring off. It really is a great cardio workout.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 10:29:36 AM »
Mountain-biking in the hills or just biking is excellent cardio for me, when the weather is nice.  :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2008, 03:54:02 AM »
Mountain-biking in the hills or just biking is excellent cardio for me, when the weather is nice.  :)

Outside cardio is great.  I'm going to start sprint workouts again in a few weeks too. 

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2008, 04:18:17 AM »
I've been loving the Precor ellipticals lately.  I think they are the easiest to control in terms of resistance, etc. and smoothest on the knees.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2008, 04:47:39 AM »
I've been loving the Precor ellipticals lately.  I think they are the easiest to control in terms of resistance, etc. and smoothest on the knees.

They are great.  I have spent MANY hours on that machine.

I like the one with the adjustable ramp and no arm thingys.

az

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 05:18:27 AM »
HATE cardio!!!!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 06:29:25 PM »
HATE cardio!!!!

Me too!  I just did an hour!   :P