Author Topic: Natural way to keep your dog flea and tick free  (Read 1706 times)

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
Natural way to keep your dog flea and tick free
« on: August 30, 2007, 09:13:22 AM »
Garlic oil pills.  The critters hate the blood when you give your pet 3 mg for every 25 lbs. daily.  Try it over chemical products.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: Natural way to keep your dog flea and tick free
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 10:30:02 AM »
Garlic oil pills.  The critters hate the blood when you give your pet 3 mg for every 25 lbs. daily.  Try it over chemical products.

Be careful with that one.  Garlic is toxic to dog and cats both.

heres a reasonable article referenceing the toxicity.  I'm posting the link because of the color pictures:

http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/vetm0805_562-566.pdf

remember on a per gram basis, garlic extract is up to 5 times more toxic than onion. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 10:49:39 AM »
I remember when i was frowing up....our labs we used to give them (1) garlic pill a day when the flea season was high.

That was 25-30 years ago.  Funny how times change

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 11:00:21 AM »
I know of a few people that feed garlic cloves daily.  I have never heard that it really does anything much as far as a repellent.

We have never had a flea problem so I never tried it myself.  When Tad joined our pack with some they left on their own (after a few weeks of a REAL FOOD diet  8)) never taking up residence on the other dogs.

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 12:18:07 PM »
I've been giving it to both my dogs, with excellent results.  The small min-pin gets 1 in a cheese ball, while my 3 legged, Lucky gets 2.  Not a flea all year and it used to be a big problem.  I guess they would have to be allergic to make them sick, as I've been using this over chemical treatments for the season, after someone came into my store and bought a bottle and told me what it was for.  The Vet  business wouldn't want you doing this for obvious rea$ons.  For my guys, it's a great cure.  I haven't seen a flea all year, I check them all the time, they always find a way to wake up in our bed come morning 8) and it doesn't make them sick.  If you look at a can of dog food, garlic is in it. ???

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 12:36:09 PM »
the garlic seemed to help

only problem is...the fleas would jump off the dogs or would not stay on them.....which can make it worse

it does not kill fleas

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 12:51:59 PM »
the garlic seemed to help

only problem is...the fleas would jump off the dogs or would not stay on them.....which can make it worse

it does not kill fleas

True.  They repell and never make it inside the house, Flea free house and dogs all year.  Say that 5 times fast ;D