Author Topic: Plato was neutered today and i already took the cone off, any ideas?  (Read 1894 times)

temper35

• Getbig III
I have the leash on him as we speak.  He was SPOOKED with the E-Collar on, he couldn't walk down the hallway because when he banged into something, he would just stop dead and not move and looked very anxious.  Rather than torture him, although I know eventually he got used to it, this is my plan.

I am going to keep him leashed and watch him closely at all times until he cannot be watched/bedtime, and then buy one of those soft collars that are kind of like a neck brace.  Yes, he may not be able to turn his head, but on the flip side, he isn't banging into things and he will be able to sleep alot more comfortably.

Anyone have a better idea?

knny187

• Getbig V
Re: Plato was neutered today and i already took the cone off, any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 01:52:53 PM »
Same thing happened with our dog.  He litterly sat there & wouldn't move for 2 days.  By the third day....he was running around like normal & by the 6-7th day...figured how he could eat the damn thing.

I think what happened to your dog..happens to most.  I would just leave it on & have him get used to it.

The opposite is usually the dog runs around like a complete nut destroying everything in it's path.

Having him just lay there is not a bad.  It's only for a few days.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 02:28:10 PM »
He may leave his incision site alone, but if you have the other type of collar then definitely use that for a few days. 

My male would not move in the e-collar, my female ran around like it wasn't even on, banging into everything. Didn't slow her down one bit.

She gets spayed next Friday, so she might be wearing it again or I might do a neck thing on her if I have too.  She had to wear it for her foot, not her obstruction surgery.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 04:07:36 PM »

Anyone have a better idea?

try cuttin the cone back a little (if ya can) so his peripheral vision is better and maybe that'll help

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 04:11:13 PM »
come or cone?

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 06:35:41 PM »
I bought one of the expensive ass inflatable ones.  Seems to be alot happier and it serves the same purpose.  I am only going to keep it on him at night when I am sleeping since I can't watch him.  I cant believe that for a close to $600 surgery, they give you a plastic velcro attachment cone that prolly costs 50c to make.  Ridiciulous

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 01:18:47 PM »
I bought one of the expensive ass inflatable ones.  Seems to be alot happier and it serves the same purpose.  I am only going to keep it on him at night when I am sleeping since I can't watch him.  I cant believe that for a close to $600 surgery, they give you a plastic velcro attachment cone that prolly costs 50c to make.  Ridiciulous
Where did you buy the inflatable collar temper35?  How is Plato doing? 
R

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 03:16:38 PM »
It is so funny because I took the inflatable collar off since he was having a hard time sleeping with it.  He would keep waking up.  The night he was neutered I put the cone back on, only at bed time.  He is so used to it now that when I put it on at bed time he just lays down and goes to sleep like normal.

He is doing fine though, all the redness is gone and it appears to be healing nicely.  He was acting totally normal the night it was done too, like nothing happened.  He is a little rambunctious only because I can't take him for long walks and I can't let him run around.  Another week and things should be golden.

wood

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 07:41:07 AM »
Glad i saw this...

Reese was spayed yesterday and she is pitiful...lol.  Last night she acted like she was drunk, practically sleeping standing up and bumping into everything w/the cone.  This morning she was whimpering a bit, I guess b/c the pain meds had worn off.  I was going to complain about the $250 it cost until i saw the $600 price someone else paid...whew, that's robbery.
i

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 08:36:40 AM »
Glad i saw this...

Reese was spayed yesterday and she is pitiful...lol.  Last night she acted like she was drunk, practically sleeping standing up and bumping into everything w/the cone.  This morning she was whimpering a bit, I guess b/c the pain meds had worn off.  I was going to complain about the $250 it cost until i saw the $600 price someone else paid...whew, that's robbery.

Correct me if I'm worng...

but I think Males being neutered cost more than females being spayed

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 10:38:36 AM »
Correct me if I'm worng...

but I think Males being neutered cost more than females being spayed

Wrong!!  ;D   Females are much more expensive.  You are removing internal organs and more chance for complications.  Some vets may not charge a lot more for a spay, but the cost will be higher. 

Glad i saw this...

Does Reese really need the cone on?  Addie left her sutures alone. They are not easily accessible to the dog and she will probably not bother them. Did she get any take home pain meds?   It used to be common to send nothing home with the dog after a spay.  Thinking has changed and now they usually are given pain meds and I think they should be.  That is a MAJOR surgery, a woman would not get a hysterectomy and not be given pain meds, why should a dog? If she wasn't you might want to consider calling and asking for some, even a couple of days worth.

Her spay (minus the complications resulting after the spay) was about  $500 and that included some pre-surgery bloodwork.  She is also a big dog and an older dog who has gone through a few heats which adds to the cost. 

I had quotes of over $600 when I had called around. 

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 12:35:10 PM »
Plato's was like 550.

wood

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007, 08:52:18 AM »
Wrong!!  ;D   Females are much more expensive.  You are removing internal organs and more chance for complications.  Some vets may not charge a lot more for a spay, but the cost will be higher. 

Does Reese really need the cone on?  Addie left her sutures alone. They are not easily accessible to the dog and she will probably not bother them. Did she get any take home pain meds?   It used to be common to send nothing home with the dog after a spay.  Thinking has changed and now they usually are given pain meds and I think they should be.  That is a MAJOR surgery, a woman would not get a hysterectomy and not be given pain meds, why should a dog? If she wasn't you might want to consider calling and asking for some, even a couple of days worth.

Her spay (minus the complications resulting after the spay) was about  $500 and that included some pre-surgery bloodwork.  She is also a big dog and an older dog who has gone through a few heats which adds to the cost. 

I had quotes of over $600 when I had called around. 

yep, she needs the cone, she tried to pull the catheter (sp?) out and during recovery was attempting to lick the sutures.  She's been on Rimadyl twice daily and tonight is her last dose.  she's acting like she feels a ton better but the cone is still cumbersome...Reese had gone through 2 heats as well.
i