Author Topic: The Great Iraq Swindle  (Read 2076 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
The Great Iraq Swindle
« on: August 30, 2007, 06:01:06 PM »
http://www.rollingstone.com/nationalaffairs/index.php/2007/08/30/the-great-iraq-swindle/

read the article or if you're lazy (or short on time) play the video

disable the sound on the god awful MGD ad

for "readers" the article is here:  http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/16076312/the_great_iraq_swindle/2

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
Re: The Great Iraq Swindle
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 06:50:19 PM »
That might be the most disturbing thing I've ever read regarding monetary waste and ineptitude and I've been reading about the Big Dig and all it's scandals for a decade.

Absolutely shocking. How the hell did we re-elect that administration for a second time?

Here's a beauty from the piece.

"In a much-ballyhooed example of favoritism, the White House originally installed a clown named Jim O'Beirne at the relevant evaluation desk in the Department of Defense. O'Beirne proved to be a classic Bush villain, a moron's moron who judged applicants not on their Arabic skills or their relevant expertise but on their Republican bona fides; he sent a twenty-four-year-old who had never worked in finance to manage the reopening of the Iraqi stock exchange, and appointed a recent graduate of an evangelical university for home-schooled kids who had no accounting experience to manage Iraq's $13 billion budget. "

I think we can all agree that a recent college grad with ZERO accounting experience should be managing a $13 Billion budget. WTF

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 06:59:36 PM »
That might be the most disturbing thing I've ever read regarding monetary waste and ineptitude and I've been reading about the Big Dig and all it's scandals for a decade.

Absolutely shocking. How the hell did we re-elect that administration for a second time?

probably because most Americans are too lazy to even vote and most Republicans refuse to look at the facts (most of this is very old news) and face the reality that we have a criminal organization running this country.  The Bush Crime Family couldn't give less of a shit about taking care of this country.  They are basically a parasite that is devouring it's host from the inside out.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 07:07:24 PM »
Before coming to Iraq, Custer Battles hadn't done even a million dollars in business. The company's own Web site brags that Battles had to borrow cab fare from Jordan to Iraq and arrived in Baghdad with less than $500 in his pocket. But he had good timing, arriving just as a security contract for Baghdad International Airport was being "put up" for bid. The company site raves that Custer spent "three sleepless nights" penning an offer that impressed the CPA enough to hand the partners $2 million in cash, which Battles promptly stuffed into a duffel bag and drove to deposit in a Lebanese bank.

The bid that Custer claimed to have spent "three sleepless nights" putting together was later described by Col. Richard Ballard, then the inspector general of the Army, as looking "like something that you and I would write over a bottle of vodka, complete with all the spelling and syntax errors and annexes to be filled in later." The two simply "presented it the next day and then got awarded about a $15 million contract."

Like most contractors, Custer Battles was on a cost-plus arrangement, which means its profits were guaranteed to rise with its spending. But according to testimony by officials and former employees, the partners also charged the government millions by making out phony invoices to shell companies they controlled. In another stroke of genius, they found a bunch of abandoned Iraqi Airways forklifts on airport property, repainted them to disguise the company markings and billed them to U.S. tax­payers as new equipment. Every time they scratched their asses, they earned;

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 07:10:04 PM »
At the very outset of the occupation, when L. Paul Bremer was installed as head of the CPA, one of his first brilliant ideas for managing the country was to have $12 billion in cash flown into Baghdad on huge wooden pallets and stored in palaces and government buildings. To pay contractors, he'd have agents go to the various stashes -- a pile of $200 million in one of Saddam's former palaces was watched by a single soldier, who left the key to the vault in a backpack on his desk when he went out to lunch -- withdraw the money, then crisscross the country to pay the bills. When desperate auditors later tried to trace the paths of the money, one agent could account for only $6,306,836 of some $23 million he'd withdrawn. Bremer's office "acknowledged not having any supporting documentation" for $25 million given to a different agent. A ministry that claimed to have paid 8,206 guards was able to document payouts to only 602. An agent who was told by auditors that he still owed $1,878,870 magically produced exactly that amount, which, as the auditors dryly noted, "suggests that the agent had a reserve of cash."
In short, some $8.8 billion of the $12 billion proved impossible to find.

You have got to be FUKKKING kidding me. Hundreds of millions of dollars just lying around with almost ZERO documentation.

You know if I had seen this in a movie I would have said "give me a break, that would never happen".

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 07:19:49 PM »
The Bush administration's lack of interest in recovering stolen funds is one of the great scandals of the war. The White House has failed to litigate a single case against a contractor under the False Claims Act and has not sued anybody for breach of contract. It even declined to join in a lawsuit filed by whistle-blowers who are accusing KBR of improper invoicing in Fallujah. "For all the Bush administration claims to do in the war against terrorism," Grayson said in congressional testimony, "it is a no-show in the war against war profiteers." In nearly five years of some of the worst graft and looting in American history, the administration has recovered less than $6 million.

According to the most reliable ­estimates, we have doled out more than $500 billion for the war, as well as $44 billion for the Iraqi reconstruction effort.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 07:28:38 PM »
probably because most Americans are too lazy to even vote and most Republicans refuse to look at the facts (most of this is very old news) and face the reality that we have a criminal organization running this country.  The Bush Crime Family couldn't give less of a shit about taking care of this country.  They are basically a parasite that is devouring it's host from the inside out.

After reading that Rolling Stone piece it's pretty hard to come to any other conclusion. I wonder how vehemently this will be objected to, the accusations are so incredibly obscene that surely someone will defend the Bush administration.

I wonder what the board neotaints have to say about this outrageous corruption.

Mr. Hate care to voice your opinion, or at least blame all that fraud and ineptitude on the Liberals?

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 06:37:07 AM »
The Bush administration's lack of interest in recovering stolen funds is one of the great scandals of the war. The White House has failed to litigate a single case against a contractor under the False Claims Act and has not sued anybody for breach of contract. It even declined to join in a lawsuit filed by whistle-blowers who are accusing KBR of improper invoicing in Fallujah. "For all the Bush administration claims to do in the war against terrorism," Grayson said in congressional testimony, "it is a no-show in the war against war profiteers." In nearly five years of some of the worst graft and looting in American history, the administration has recovered less than $6 million.

According to the most reliable ­estimates, we have doled out more than $500 billion for the war, as well as $44 billion for the Iraqi reconstruction effort.
I believe that $9 billion just disappeared in Iraq back in '05.  http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/meast/01/30/iraq.audit/

Here's the defense offered by our good government:

"We simply disagree with the audit's conclusion ..."

Here's what Bremer had to say, "The IG auditors presume that the coalition could achieve a standard of budgetary transparency and execution that even peaceful Western nations would have trouble meeting within a year, especially in the midst of a war,"

Typical Bush Administration response.  Deny, deny, deny, accuse your accuser and then grovel.  Jeez, it's 9 billion dollars, not a rounding error.  What the hell is Bremer talking about?

These guys start the war and then blame the war when billions and billions of dollars, for which they are accountable for tracking, just disappear in thin air.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 06:41:26 AM »
Suddenly, it becomes very understandable why Bush bought that foreign ranch. :-\
As empty as paradise

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 07:10:20 AM »
Suddenly, it becomes very understandable why Bush bought that foreign ranch. :-\
Foreign interventions, like Iraq, have been going on for decades by the US.  The monied interests in the US want access to cheap labor and/or foreign infrastructure/resources so the US acts militarily b/c some national interest is at stake.

To get an idea how the Bush family and elites like them use the government to build personal fortunes look at what this man wrote back in 1933:

"War is just a racket. A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of people. Only a small inside group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses."  http://www.twf.org/News/Y2001/0911-Racket.html (full text of "War is a Racket": http://lexrex.com/enlightened/articles/warisaracket.htm)

"I helped make Mexico, especially Tampico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. The record of racketeering is long. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers* in 1909-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested." 

*Brown Brothers Harriman & Co. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Brothers_Harriman (The Bush family business)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 09:51:10 AM »
Foreign interventions, like Iraq, have been going on for decades by the US.  The monied interests in the US want access to cheap labor and/or foreign infrastructure/resources so the US acts militarily b/c some national interest is at stake.

To get an idea how the Bush family and elites like them use the government to build personal fortunes look at what this man wrote back in 1933:

"War is just a racket. A racket is best described, I believe, as something that is not what it seems to the majority of people. Only a small inside group knows what it is about. It is conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the masses."  http://www.twf.org/News/Y2001/0911-Racket.html (full text of "War is a Racket": http://lexrex.com/enlightened/articles/warisaracket.htm)

"I helped make Mexico, especially Tampico, safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefits of Wall Street. The record of racketeering is long. I helped purify Nicaragua for the international banking house of Brown Brothers* in 1909-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for American sugar interests in 1916. In China I helped to see to it that Standard Oil went its way unmolested." 

*Brown Brothers Harriman & Co. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_Brothers_Harriman (The Bush family business)

Smedley Butler was also the person who revealed the alleged plot by a group of business/military men to overthrow the US government

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Plot

Purported details of the matter came to light when retired Marine Corps Major General Smedley Butler testified before a Congressional committee that a group of men had attempted to recruit him to serve as the leader of a plot and to assume and wield power once the coup was successful. Butler testified before the McCormack-Dickstein Committee in 1934 [1]. In his testimony, Butler claimed that a group of several men had approached him as part of a plot to overthrow Roosevelt in a military coup. One of the alleged plotters, Gerald MacGuire, vehemently denied any such plot. In their final report, the Congressional committee supported Butler's allegations on the existence of the plot,[2] but no prosecutions or further investigations followed, and the matter was mostly forgotten.

General Butler claimed that the American Liberty League was the primary means of funding the plot. The main backers were the Du Pont family, as well as leaders of U.S. Steel, General Motors, Standard Oil, Chase National Bank, and Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company. A BBC documentary claims Prescott Bush, father and grandfather to the 41st and 43rd US Presidents respectively, was also connected.[3]

The History Channel did a show about it - haven't seen it though

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=628728631767818729&q=plot+to+overthrow+fdr+history+channel&total=5&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 10:54:16 AM »
Smedley Butler was also the person who revealed the alleged plot by a group of business/military men to overthrow the US government

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Plot

Purported details of the matter came to light when retired Marine Corps Major General Smedley Butler testified before a Congressional committee that a group of men had attempted to recruit him to serve as the leader of a plot and to assume and wield power once the coup was successful. Butler testified before the McCormack-Dickstein Committee in 1934 [1]. In his testimony, Butler claimed that a group of several men had approached him as part of a plot to overthrow Roosevelt in a military coup. One of the alleged plotters, Gerald MacGuire, vehemently denied any such plot. In their final report, the Congressional committee supported Butler's allegations on the existence of the plot,[2] but no prosecutions or further investigations followed, and the matter was mostly forgotten.

General Butler claimed that the American Liberty League was the primary means of funding the plot. The main backers were the Du Pont family, as well as leaders of U.S. Steel, General Motors, Standard Oil, Chase National Bank, and Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company. A BBC documentary claims Prescott Bush, father and grandfather to the 41st and 43rd US Presidents respectively, was also connected.[3]

The History Channel did a show about it - haven't seen it though

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=628728631767818729&q=plot+to+overthrow+fdr+history+channel&total=5&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=0

I've read about the coup attempt.  It made me realize a long time ago that the vested business interests are, for the most part, fascists at heart.

That's why it was interesting to watch the Bush administration slide with such quickness into its own style of fascist rule.  They wanted to run gov. like a business.  They wanted top down control.  They wanted to stifle or crush dissent. (There's a nice related story on how gov. whistleblowers under the Bush Adm have been jailed in some instances).  They wanted a muscular military to use as, well, muscle and they wanted public capitulation via patriotism and shopping.

The elite interests have always had a mean-ass fascist streak.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 11:03:04 AM »
I'm really not trying to fan the flames here but I'd love to read what the board Republicans have to say about this.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 11:37:05 AM »
I'm really not trying to fan the flames here but I'd love to read what the board Republicans have to say about this.
I'd be interested too.  But what can they really say? 

In my opinion, the military industrial complex is a result from the failed coup against FDR.  They couldn't kick the door in with a frontal coup, so they picked the lock and commandeered the political process.  The exploitations and outright fraud of some of the companies in this thread illustrate what's been going on for a good 50 years:  The monied interests pilfer US tax dollars for personal gain via governmental contracts/subsidies.  Over 1/2 the US budget is used to fund the military.  It's a gravy train welfare line for the elites with little accountability...even when the fraud is shown in black and white, nothing happens.   

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 12:05:06 PM »
Just to save a few people the time & effort to write it,...I'll do it for them:

"What?!?! How could you say such things? you are traitors to the greatest nation in the world, and you should be arrested, and shot. The USA is #1. Are you forgetting about 911? Those rags hate us! They're jealous of our way of life. You're just a bunch of Liberal pussies!"

There, it's been said.... carry on.
w

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 12:11:46 PM »
Just to save a few people the time & effort to write it,...I'll do it for them:

"What?!?! How could you say such things? you are traitors to the greatest nation in the world, and you should be arrested, and shot. The USA is #1. Are you forgetting about 911? Those rags hate us! They're jealous of our way of life. You're just a bunch of Liberal pussies!"

There, it's been said.... carry on.
You're starting to sound like my wife.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 12:16:38 PM »
I'd be interested too.  But what can they really say? 

In my opinion, the military industrial complex is a result from the failed coup against FDR.  They couldn't kick the door in with a frontal coup, so they picked the lock and commandeered the political process.  The exploitations and outright fraud of some of the companies in this thread illustrate what's been going on for a good 50 years:  The monied interests pilfer US tax dollars for personal gain via governmental contracts/subsidies.  Over 1/2 the US budget is used to fund the military.  It's a gravy train welfare line for the elites with little accountability...even when the fraud is shown in black and white, nothing happens.   

There are a few board members that have supported this war all along, I'd be curious to read their opinions of the fraud/waste/ineptitude that has gone on now for nearly half a decade. I also find it shocking that something as outrageous and dare I say criminal as this is completely ignored by people with certain political beliefs.

Fascinating opinion you have re: the military industrial complex. Doesn't the sitting President have any way of combatting the MIC if they have differing opinions? I would have thought the Commander in Chief would have certain omnipotent powers particularly when it comes to budgets. 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 12:30:24 PM »
There are a few board members that have supported this war all along, I'd be curious to read their opinions of the fraud/waste/ineptitude that has gone on now for nearly half a decade. I also find it shocking that something as outrageous and dare I say criminal as this is completely ignored by people with certain political beliefs.

Fascinating opinion you have re: the military industrial complex. Doesn't the sitting President have any way of combatting the MIC if they have differing opinions? I would have thought the Commander in Chief would have certain omnipotent powers particularly when it comes to budgets. 
Eisenhower gave a warning about the MIC in his presidential farewell address. 
http://coursesa.matrix.msu.edu/%7Ehst306/documents/indust.html  (text)
video
That didn't do any good though other than raise awareness of an otherwise unknown problem.  The budget submitted by the president still must be approved by the congress so in that sense, the president's power to curb the MIC through budgetary constraints is not plenary.  That's what makes combating it/them so difficult.

I gotta run.  Have a terrific weekend ieffinhatecardio.