Author Topic: Becoming a nutritionist  (Read 1540 times)

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
Becoming a nutritionist
« on: August 30, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »
Is this something you should go to a 4 year university for, or go to a small specialty school for 2 years? Which way pays better and gets you a job faster?

efirkey

• Getbig IV
Re: Becoming a nutritionist
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 04:42:09 AM »
As a general rule the more schooling you get the easier it is to land a job and the better your salary will be.   Plus in today's environment most employers are looking for at least four year's of school.  And it's easier to change careers in the future if you have at least a  Bachelors.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 04:50:55 AM »
My brothers wifes sister is trying to land a job as a nutritionist, not exactly what kind of job. I believe she is trying to work with fat kids in some capacity. She graduated with a four year degree a few months ago. I can ask her what her major was, because I am not certain.
E

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 05:04:59 AM »
Is this something you should go to a 4 year university for, or go to a small specialty school for 2 years? Which way pays better and gets you a job faster?

Depends. You can be a Nutritionist or a Dietitian. You can be a nutritionist by simply doing a certificate course that can be done in weekends over 6 weeks (at least here in NZ). You'd be the equivalent of a Personal Trainer who has done a certificate course.

To become a Dietitian, you need to do a Bachelors in Nutrition (~3 years) and then internship on top I think. Obviously, Diet subsumes nutrition ;D

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 05:32:08 AM »
Depends. You can be a Nutritionist or a Dietitian. You can be a nutritionist by simply doing a certificate course that can be done in weekends over 6 weeks (at least here in NZ). You'd be the equivalent of a Personal Trainer who has done a certificate course.

To become a Dietitian, you need to do a Bachelors in Nutrition (~3 years) and then internship on top I think. Obviously, Diet subsumes nutrition ;D

Exactly.  Nutritionist is really easy and doesn't mean much but it all depends on how you can sell yourself.  If you want to go back to school and go at it the hard way, become a Registered Dietician.

efirkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 11:23:20 AM »
What kind of salary can a registered dietician expect?  It doesn't sound like a high paying job

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 11:37:24 AM »

just call adonis, after one of his weekend seminars you will have enough knowledge to make more people look like him...    :-X

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2007, 11:55:46 AM »
just tell people to eat less..

as funny as it seems that advice would apply to most of the general populations, but instead everyone is seeking a magic elixir from someone that claims to be educated on the topic
Here comes the money shot

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2007, 11:58:54 AM »
just tell people to eat less..

as funny as it seems that advice would apply to most of the general populations, but instead everyone is seeking a magic elixir from someone that claims to be educated on the topic

True, but you're assuming that everyone out there only want to lose weight and that's the only problem a nutritionist / dietitian deals with. Far from it.

troponin

• Getbig III
  • www.troponinnutrition.com
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 11:59:45 AM »
Being a registered dietician is really more about preventing deficiencies.

Most likely you'll end up working in a hospital, helping plan out tomorrow's "low sodium" meal plan for the CHF patients.  

You might make rounds, and tell the old people who are hypokalemic to eat more potatoes and bananas...you might talk to a 500lb man about portion control....and if you're lucky, you'll explain to an old couple that drinking 2 cups of coffee a day isn't enough fluid consumption, and is the reason they're dehydrated.  

www.trueprotein.com
Troponin Nutritio

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2007, 12:08:30 PM »
True, but you're assuming that everyone out there only want to lose weight and that's the only problem a nutritionist / dietitian deals with. Far from it.

I was addressing the general population not specific needs of individuals.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2007, 12:35:59 PM »
I was addressing the general population not specific needs of individuals.

Haha OK 'SteelePegasus' ::) ;D

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 12:49:19 PM »
you shouldn't need to do that, just go into the most succesful gym in town and show the manager your supposed 5'9" 225 pound at 8 percent bodyfat physique and 365 pound squats and they'll hire you on the spot. ::)

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 01:07:10 PM »
you shouldn't need to do that, just go into the most succesful gym in town and show the manager your supposed 5'9" 225 pound at 8 percent bodyfat physique and 365 pound squats and they'll hire you on the spot. ::)

lol, you need to come to my gym and see the trainers

to be honest I have never seen any of them working out other than holding a clip board

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 01:09:56 PM »
lol, you need to come to my gym and see the trainers

to be honest I have never seen any of them working out other than holding a clip board
hahahhaa, you should see this new beast that they hired at my gym, 5'9" 145 pounds, maybe 23 years old, 12 inch arms, horn rimmed glasses, gelled up hair and carries a clipboard everywhere he goes, hahahahaaaaaaa.

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2007, 01:11:47 PM »
It's like a 5 week course.  ;D

NeverTrustABlonde

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2007, 03:33:21 PM »
to be a "nutritionist" you simply need to take some kind of certification, similar to becoming a trainer... there are many certs out there ranging from easy (take a test online) to pretty hard (requiring a list of college courses), some are a complete joke and some are somewhat respected.... as a general rule the more schooling you have (a bachelor's in nutrition, etc) the more qualified you will be for a better job.... but this also depends on which area of nutrition you want to go into....

akers1021

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • "Big arms and delts dont make you a bodybuilder"
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2007, 04:45:03 PM »
Nutrionist's IMO are jokes.....they all advocate no more than 50 grams of protein a day( give or take 25 grams) or your kidneys will shut down.  I can't count how many times the dumbasses have told people this that buy supps from me. 

"My nutrionist said that more than 50 grams  a day is WAY TOO MUCH"

I usually ask them if they want to build muscle or swim laps.....if they want to build muscle STOP LISTENING TO THESE MORONS.

There is no money to be made unless you get into a hospital setting even then if you make 40 grand a year your doing REALLY WELL...