Author Topic: Your first show.............  (Read 2598 times)

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
Your first show.............
« on: August 31, 2007, 09:45:36 AM »
What made you decide to do your very first show?  Were you gung-ho on your own or were you strongly encouraged/convinced to do it?

R

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: Your first show.............
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 11:35:38 AM »
What made you decide to do your very first show?  Were you gung-ho on your own or were you strongly encouraged/convinced to do it?

I had attended several shows, but it was the 2005 New Englands that finally made me decide that I wanted to compete.  We were there to watch about 5 of our friends compete in BB and figure.  My girlfriend was doing Figure, and she won the tall class.  Everyone was excited, there was alot of screaming and yelling, a great atmosphere at the show...It just looked like alot of fun!

I totally left that show with the "if they can do it, I can do it" attitude. 
I decided that day that I was going to try to win the 2006 New Englands, and I spent the entire next year preparing for it...and I did it.   ;D

It's that feeling of setting out a challenge for yourself and meeting it that I love about competing.

:)

az

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 07:04:45 PM »
met a guy who competed when I was in training for a job, it was first time i saw someone in person who looked like the people in the mags, I was impressed and curious. I hung out with him while we were in training andhe showed me some stuff in the gym and talked to me about food. when I got back home I joined  a gym and started seeing results (slowly) after about 2 years I decided "what the hell" found a show, got a trainer and stepped on stage, had the bug ever since.

I have always been a huge fan of bodybuilding though, I think I got turned on to it from watching wrestling as a kid. Telling my age now: Jimmy "superfly" snukka, rowdy roddy pipper, greg "the hammer" valentine and that crew...

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 05:22:23 AM »
Started training when I was like 22 after I got out of the Air Force.  Joined a gym and stared to read everything I could get my hands on about nutrition and training, this was before the internet so it was hard to find good, current info.  But I busted my butt and lived and breathed BB for a couple years.

Then went to see my first show.  At the prejudging the energy was so high and it seemed very cool I knew I had to give it a try.  I wanted to see how I stacked up against my peers.  I liked the fact that it was a bunch of people who shared the same passion as I did.

I didn't really know what the heck I was doing as far as comps went but getting that first show under your belt is a big step.  IMO the first one is the hardest, cause you really don't know what to expect.  First show I didn't place and it was kind of disscouraging.

So I guess to answer the original ? I was gun-ho on my own.