Author Topic: Optimum Nutrition Site - Delusional Pricing?  (Read 1087 times)

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
Optimum Nutrition Site - Delusional Pricing?
« on: September 03, 2007, 06:40:06 AM »
I usually buy my ON products from Bodybuilding.com. Today I decided to check out the ON web site to see if they had a store and what their prices were like.

I noticed that a 5 pound tub of ON Whey costs $74.99 on the ON site, but only costs $37.99 on bodybuilding.com.

What on earth are they thinking?

Purge_WTF

Re: Optimum Nutrition Site - Delusional Pricing?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 08:44:13 AM »
  Good point. Maybe they meant to say that they 10 pound jug was $74.99?  :-\

columbusdude82

• Getbig V

MIAMI BLUE

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 09:04:37 AM »
I usually buy my ON products from Bodybuilding.com. Today I decided to check out the ON web site to see if they had a store and what their prices were like.

I noticed that a 5 pound tub of ON Whey costs $74.99 on the ON site, but only costs $37.99 on bodybuilding.com.

Because the costello brothers have always been rip offs!!! believe me!!

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 09:05:35 AM »
Who are the Costello brothers???

250Ben250

• Getbig III
  • skinman approved.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2007, 03:08:01 PM »

Most suppl companies do this to set a suggested retail pricing, knowing that most internet sites and distributers will be buying it for a lot less to sell to consumers. They know the majority of their business will come from distribution and they don't want to price their distributers out of the market by offering the same BB.com pricing.

Plus its a marketing thing. Most larger supplement companies have a business model that includes national distribution practices, etc., so their website is more of a showcase of products than an actual e-store. But if you notice, many of the smaller companies out there have products available to buy on their own website for a much more reasonable price.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2007, 04:55:36 PM »
meh those prices are stupid

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 08:58:34 PM »
Perhaps Jay can shed some light... :-\
:

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 08:02:48 AM »

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Protein Gold Series Extreme Chocolate - 5.1 Lb
DPS Price: $32.95

http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_on500.htm

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 08:39:04 AM »
Thanks loco, but I already placed my order at bb.com

Maybe if you weren't so busy making your bible threads you could have posted this sooner and I could have saved some money ;)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2007, 08:47:23 AM »
Thanks loco, but I already placed my order at bb.com

Maybe if you weren't so busy making your bible threads you could have posted this sooner and I could have saved some money ;)

I'm sorry that I did not post it sooner.  However, I'm sure you'll run out eventually and will have to buy more.    ;D

ON1

• Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 09:41:59 AM »
Columbusdude,
250Ben250 summed it up pretty well.
The prices on www.optimumnutrition.com are MSRP (manufacturers suggested retail price) as we do indeed primarily use our site as a "showcase" and would much rather see our customers support our brand through our retailers.
And yes, while whey prices have unfortunately gone up dramatically this year industry-wide (see Ron's post about milk and dairy pricing - and Princess L's too  ;)) many large retailers such as DPS and bodybuilding.com - as well as many others that can be found with a bit of searching - are able to offer prices at or near wholesale prices made on buy-ins earlier in the year before some of the price increases took effect.
And while I think that we are all hoping that whey pricing will stabilize and and some point turnaround, until that point keep a watch out because we have a whole lot of new products planned for launch in the very near future.
Jay

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2007, 12:13:21 PM »
Thanks ON1. That clears it up.