Author Topic: Nooses spark school violence, divide town...discuss  (Read 4315 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Re: Jena 6
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2007, 06:34:01 PM »

What I don't understand is why their attorneys thought it would be a good idea to go with a jury trial.

I know that jury pools can be and are rigged, but how do they end up with 12 White jurors?  Does not compute. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Re: Nooses spark school violence, divide town...discuss
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 06:35:54 PM »

Parker is spot-on, as usual.

bigandbrolic

• Getbig II
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2007, 06:49:54 PM »
youandme

america is a free country, do you have the guts to say the things you say online in public?
if you do then and only then will i respect your comments because you are entitled to them. if not you fulfill the typical online tough guy which tends not to go a long way with anyone. 
I am a grown ass man

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2007, 10:15:48 AM »
Parker is spot-on, as usual.

Thanks, dude  is too ignorant to know what he is talking about...and same type of folk tend to not have the balls to back any claims...they're just mad at the world because deep down, they feel inferior, it's actually quite pitiful. 

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2007, 10:33:22 AM »
Parker is a filthy racist!
الاسلام هو شيطانية

blinky

• Getbig V
Jena 6 ??
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2007, 08:24:22 AM »
the news is filled with this thing. and i dont think i really get it.

from what i understand(and i may have it wrong) a year or so ago some black kids were joking with some white kids at school and asked if they could sit under some tree where the white kids usually sit. the next day some nooses were hanging from the tree. the kids responsible were suspended but aparently some people were mad cause they felt the kids should have been charged with a hate crime....but werent.

now i guess just recently(not sure exactly when) 6 black kids beat up 1 white kid and were originally charged with attempted murder but now the charges have been reduced. and now thousands of people are protesting aparently beacuse they feel the charges are racially motivated.

am i missing something? i dont get why this is such a big story and why all the protests. like i said i may have the facts wrong or not know all of them but doesnt 6 kids beating up 1 kid call for charges being laid?

anyone??  :-\

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Re: Jena 6 ??
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2007, 09:19:27 AM »
I couldn't have said it better than the author of this article:

White supremacists in the mainstream media

Earlier this year, I wrote a column titled (Murder in Black and White_http://patriotpost.us/alexander/edition.asp?id=531), which detailed the torture, gang-rape and murder of a young couple, Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom. Their five attackers—four men and a woman—dumped his battered body by a train track and threw her charred remains in a trash bin.

The point of that grim essay was to highlight the mainstream media’s disparate treatment of interracial crimes.

Indeed, there are some 17,000 murders committed in the U.S. each year, but this double murder was clearly far more barbaric, far more monstrous than most. Yet it never made a headline more than 20 miles from the crime scene—not on NPR, not on CNN or the networks, not in The Washington Post, not in The New York Times.

Was the MSM’s lack of interest in this case race related, given that the two victims were white and the five defendants are black?

Yes.

How do I know?

Consider this case in point: Last week, six white West Virginia lowlifes were charged with the kidnapping, torture and sexual assault of a 20-year-old black woman, Megan Williams. This was a brutal crime, to be sure, but Megan Williams is alive today, having been rescued by local sheriff’s deputies. Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom, as we know, were not nearly so fortunate.

Within 24 hours of the arrests in the West Virginia case, stories were headlined on CNN, The Washington Post, The New York Times—even the BBC—and numerous reports have been filed subsequently.

Was the MSM’s acute interest in this case race related?

Yes.

In fact, no sooner had Williams’s attackers been arrested than the FBI and federal prosecutors joined the investigation to determine if the victim’s civil rights were violated, or if her assault qualified as a “hate crime.”

To this day, however, searches of the massive news archives of CNN, The Washington Post and The New York Times for the names “Channon Christian” and “Christopher Newsome” render exactly zero references to their names in any news story—that’s nil, naught, zip and zilch.

There is nothing unusual about the racial component of the Christian and Newsom murders. Indeed, while blacks represent just 12 percent of the U.S. population, black perpetrators are convicted by their peers in more than half of all murder and manslaughter cases. In other words, per capita, black-on-white crime is far more prevalent than the inverse.

However, the contrast in how the MSM reported these two cases betrays a prevalent white-supremacist mindset among liberal journalistic scribes.

By discounting the newsworthiness of black-on-white crime such as the murders of Christian and Newsom, and at the same time trumpeting the newsworthiness of white-on-black crime such as the assault on Williams, the MSM is, in effect, insisting that white people should be held to a higher standard than black people. In doing so, the MSM is essentially saying, “It isn’t news when blacks prey on whites, because we expect them to behave like vicious animals, but it is headline news when whites prey on blacks, because we expect whites to be more civilized.”

Additional evidence of this underlying media hypocrisy is substantiated through the MSM’s coverage of race-baiting opportunists who inject themselves into racially charged criminal cases.

For example, if a racially motivated hate group like the KKK showed up to protest on behalf of white defendants in a white-on-black crime, they would rightfully be skewered by the media. However, when racially motivated haters like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson show up to protest on behalf of defendants in a black-on-white crime, they are canonized as civil rights saviors.

In fact, this week Sharpton and Jackson, with more than ten thousand of their ilk in tow, swamped the small town of Jena, Louisiana, to protest charges against six black youths (the so-called “Jena Six”) for brutally beating and stomping a white classmate—charges that were reduced from attempted murder to aggravated battery.

“You cannot have justice meted out based on who you are rather than what you did,” Sharpton argues, implying that because the defendants in Jena are black, and there was racial tension among the youths, the charges are unjust. “This is the most blatant example of disparity in the justice system that we’ve seen. You can’t have two standards of justice.” (Unless, of course, you consider Sharpton’s fabrication of the Tawana Brawley rape hoax a “blatant example of disparity in the justice system.”)

According to Jackson, “Across this country, there are two justice systems—one for blacks and one for whites. Black young men are not more likely to commit crimes than whites, but they are more likely to be stopped by police, more likely to be arrested if stopped, more likely to be charged if arrested, more likely to be jailed if convicted, more likely to be charged with felonies and more likely to be tried and imprisoned as adults.”

Actually, black youth are far more likely to commit crimes than white youth, and for that reason they are more likely to be stopped by police (including black police officers), more likely to be arrested and, if charged, convicted (often by black-majority juries).

District Attorney Reed Walters refuted the claims of Sharpton and Jackson, saying, “This case has been portrayed by the news media (emphasis added) as being about race and the fact that it takes place in a small Southern town lends itself to that portrayal, but it is not and never has been about race. It is about finding justice for an innocent victim and holding people accountable for their actions.”

It is worth noting that neither Jackson nor Sharpton offered a word of sympathy for the actual assault victim.

Remarkably, Jackson complains, “This isn’t just a Southern problem. A study of five states in the Northwest and Midwest showed that blacks are incarcerated at ten times the rate of whites.”

Indeed, this is not “just a Southern problem,” but, in fact, a cultural problem. Too many black men do not take responsibility for themselves or their families, in part because racists like Jackson and Sharpton have inculcated black folks with the notion that they are “victims” of white folks.

Of course, since Jackson fathered a child out of wedlock with an aide (and then paid her $40,000 from his “nonprofit” Rainbow/PUSH Coalition for “moving expenses”), he is not really in a position to advocate for responsible fatherhood.

Hoping that the Louisiana “injustice” will jumpstart racial strife across the nation, Jackson insists, “In Jena, the protest will begin, but it won’t end there. This situation is explosive—not only in Jena but across the country.”

Meanwhile, back in West Virginia, the NAACP has arrived on the scene to “monitor” justice in the Williams case, and no doubt Sharpton and Jackson will follow.

However, still no word on when “journalists” at NPR, CNN, The Washington Post and The New York Times will headline the torture, gang-rape and murder of Channon Christian and Christopher Newsom.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2007, 11:21:53 AM »
I hate the media. 

Bigots abound:

Two arrested in noose incident near Jena, Louisiana

ALEXANDRIA, Louisiana (CNN) -- Authorities in Alexandria, Louisiana, arrested two people after nooses were seen hanging from the back of a red pickup Thursday night, the city's mayor told CNN.

Alexandria is less than an hour away from Jena, Louisiana, and was a staging area Thursday for protesters who went to the smaller town to demonstrate against the treatment of six black teens known as the "Jena 6" in racially charged incidents.

Police say the 18-year-old driver of the truck was charged with driving while intoxicated and inciting to riot and also may be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor -- the 16-year-old passenger.

As police were questioning the driver, he said he had an unloaded rifle in the back, which police found. They also found a set of brass knuckles in the cup holder on the dashboard, according to the police report.

The passenger told police he and his family are in the Ku Klux Klan, the police report said. He also said he had tied the nooses and that the brass knuckles belonged to him, the report said.  Watch what police found on the truck »

At least one of the nooses was made out of an extension cord, according to the police report.

Alexandria Mayor Jacques Roy said those arrested were "from around Jena" and not in the same parish as his city. 
The police report says a crowd of about 200 people, mostly African-Americans, watched the arrest take place.

Roy said the incident is "not indicative" of Alexandria and that local authorities will look into the matter "completely, thoroughly and transparently."

A photograph of the truck was sent to CNN by Casanova Love, 26, who said he's in the U.S. Navy. He's visiting his family in Louisiana.

Love said he was standing outside a club with some friends Thursday night when he saw the red pickup drive by slowly with two nooses hanging from it.

He said the truck continued up the street and passed by a large group of Jena 6 protesters standing outside a bus stop. Police then pulled over the vehicle.

Love explained why he sent the photo to CNN: "People need to see this. It's 2007, and we still have fools acting like it's 1960."

State police estimated at least 15,000 people gathered in Jena on Thursday to protest what they consider unequal punishments meted out in recent racially charged cases.

One involved the hanging of nooses from a tree a day after black students sat under what had been an informal gathering place for white students. The students involved were suspended from school for a brief time.

Another was the beating of a white student that resulted in six black teens facing charges that include aggravated second-degree battery.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/21/car.nooses/index.html

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2007, 10:47:43 AM »
I couldn't have said it better than the author of this article:

You should read that article with a more analytical eye.

There are many cases involving both blacks and whites that don't make national news.

Do you really think the same press that indulges in stories about baby Madeline, Elizabeth Smart, Chandra Levy, etc. would not take the first opportunity to focus on a  new SWF crime victim?

And as much as some may dislike Sharpton and Jackosn, the comparison to the KKK is just wrong. A more apt comparison would be someone like Bill Donohue or Pat Roberts. Both these guys look at the world through the victimhood prism, only they use the religion angle.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2007, 12:53:26 PM »
the news is filled with this thing. and i dont think i really get it.

from what i understand(and i may have it wrong) a year or so ago some black kids were joking with some white kids at school and asked if they could sit under some tree where the white kids usually sit. the next day some nooses were hanging from the tree. the kids responsible were suspended but aparently some people were mad cause they felt the kids should have been charged with a hate crime....but werent.

now i guess just recently(not sure exactly when) 6 black kids beat up 1 white kid and were originally charged with attempted murder but now the charges have been reduced. and now thousands of people are protesting aparently beacuse they feel the charges are racially motivated.

am i missing something? i dont get why this is such a big story and why all the protests. like i said i may have the facts wrong or not know all of them but doesnt 6 kids beating up 1 kid call for charges being laid?

anyone??  :-\

It's a bit more complicated than that.  Here is a good summary:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jena_Six

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2007, 05:41:59 PM »
"U.S. Attorney Donald Washington, who is himself black, has stated there is no evidence of unfair prosecution or sentencing."
S

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2007, 05:51:47 PM »
But it's not, lol.

Actually the definition is "Something that ruins good thing". In that sense, it could fit you to a T.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2007, 05:57:45 PM »
What I don't understand is how a shoe (on a person's foot) can be considered a deadly weapon,
...while a gun is not. Can someone please explain that to me, ...'cause I don't get it.  :(
w

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2007, 06:34:46 PM »
What I don't understand is how a shoe (on a person's foot) can be considered a deadly weapon,
...while a gun is not. Can someone please explain that to me, ...'cause I don't get it.  :(

I can't understand that... Unless it was like an old steel spiked Golf shoe?
S

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2007, 09:03:15 PM »
I can't understand that... Unless it was like an old steel spiked Golf shoe?

It was a running shoe. It's good to know how things work in Louisiana.  ::)

I can pull a gun on you, and pistol whip you, ...and that's ok.
But God forbid you kick me in retaliation for the beat down, 'cause that's assault with a deadly weapon
(your running show still on your foot) ...not to mention an attempted murder charge.  ::)
w

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2007, 08:26:38 AM »
youandme

america is a free country, do you have the guts to say the things you say online in public?
if you do then and only then will i respect your comments because you are entitled to them. if not you fulfill the typical online tough guy which tends not to go a long way with anyone. 

Bigbrolic, I say these things to people all the time, I don't say the N word, that is used jokingly. I discuss the topic of anomie among social classes related to both white, black, and hispanic, I don't touch native americans (mental health problems for the majority).

It's no secret, it's the way things are you can either say something and drive a change, or you can shut your mouth and let this crap fuc the country up. Two things can either happen in Jena 1) The racial tension will divide the town even further 2) It will ease tensions by clearing the air, and showing the actual color divide.

I've been to both Jena, Alexandria, Ball, and Pineville...I used to pity the situation until I got more involved and saw how the only race group that was not helpiing themselves was in fact African Americans. Hispanics work their ass off, and would not let us mend them a handout if they did not work for it. Native Americans are very business savy and utilize what the government gives them in terms of block grants, and also live off the land even when they are well off (several plant garden, functional ones in their back yards) Japanese are isolated, won't ever ask for help. African Americans "shopped the welfare market"....

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2007, 10:06:34 AM »
"U.S. Attorney Donald Washington, who is himself black, has stated there is no evidence of unfair prosecution or sentencing."

Regarding the nooses:

According to U.S. Attorney Donald Washington, the FBI agents who investigated the incident, as well as federal officials who examined it, found that it "had all the markings of a hate crime." However, it wasn't prosecuted because it failed to meet federal standards required for the teens to be certified as adults.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2007, 01:00:57 AM »
Oct 6, 1:55 AM EDT

Jena mayor calls song inflammatory

JENA, La. (AP) -- A video in which rapper-actor Mos Def asked students around the country to walk out Oct. 1 to support the "Jena Six" escaped comment by this town's mayor. But when John Mellencamp sang, "Jena, take your nooses down," he took issue.

"The town of Jena has for months been mischaracterized in the media and portrayed as the epicenter of hatred, racism and a place where justice is denied," Jena Mayor Murphy R. McMillin wrote in a statement on town letterhead faxed on Friday to The Associated Press.

He said he had previously stayed quiet, hoping that the town's courtesy to people who have visited over the past year would speak for itself. "However, the Mellencamp video is so inflammatory, so defamatory, that a line has been crossed and enough is enough."

Mellencamp could not comment immediately because he was on a plane from California to Indiana and had not heard about McMillin's comments, publicist Bob Merlis said late Friday.

A brief note from Mellencamp posted Thursday on his Web site says he is telling a story, not reporting. "The song is not written as an indictment of the people of Jena but, rather, as a condemnation of racism," it says.

Nooses hung briefly from a big oak tree outside Jena High School a year ago, after a black freshman asked whether black students could sit under it. A white student was beaten unconscious three months later, in December.

Six black students, four of them 17 years old and legally adults, were arrested. Five were initially charged with attempted murder, although that charge has been reduced to aggravated second-degree battery as four of the older youths have been arraigned. The only youth tried so far was convicted, but that conviction was overturned on appeal and the case was sent to juvenile court.

Mellencamp's song opens, "An all-white jury hides the executioner's face; See how we are, me and you?" As he sings, images of Jena, the high school and the tree are followed by video from the 1960s, including civil rights marchers, police beatings, and President John F. Kennedy and the Rev. Martin Luther King speaking. Still images include one of a protest sign reading, "God demands segregation," a stylized drawing of people in Ku Klux Klan robes and an older image of a black man in shackles, begging.

"I do not want to diminish the impression that the hanging of the nooses has had on good people," McMillin wrote. "I do recognized that what happened is insulting and hurtful."

But, he said, "To put the incident in Jena in the same league as those who were murdered in the 1960s cheapens their sacrifice and insults their memory."

At McMillin's request, the Jena Town Council voted unanimously on Tuesday to create an interracial committee to study racial relations and suggest solutions to any problems.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/J/JENA_SIX_MELLENCAMP?SITE=HIHAD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2007, 08:44:27 AM »
haha Mellencamp what a loser

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2007, 02:48:11 PM »
Charges against Jena 6 defendant reduced   

JENA, Louisiana (CNN) -- Charges against Bryant Purvis, one of the six black students accused of being involved in beating a white student, were reduced to second degree aggravated battery during his arraignment Wednesday morning.

Bryant Purvis says he is focusing on his studies and practicing basketball.

Purvis, who was facing charges of second-degree attempted murder and conspiracy, entered a not guilty plea to the reduced charges in the LaSalle Parish Courthouse in Jena.

Charges have now been reduced against at least five of the students in the racially charged "Jena 6" case. Charges against Jesse Ray Beard, who was 14 at the time of the alleged crime, are unavailable because he's a juvenile.

Civil rights leaders Martin Luther King III and Al Sharpton led more than 15,000 marchers to Jena -- a town of about 3,000 -- in September to protest how authorities handled the cases against Purvis and five other teens accused of the December 2006 beating of fellow student Justin Barker.

After the arraignment, Purvis said he has moved to another town to complete high school. He said he is focusing on his studies and practicing basketball, which he hopes to play in college.

Mychal Bell, 17, is the only one of the "Jena 6" teens still in jail. Although he was released in September after his adult criminal conviction for the beating was overturned, he was ordered two weeks later to spend 18 months in a juvenile facility for a probation violation relating to an earlier juvenile conviction.

A district judge tossed out Bell's conviction for conspiracy to commit second-degree battery, saying the matter should have been handled in juvenile court. The 3rd Circuit Court of Appeal in Lake Charles, Louisiana, did the same with Bell's battery conviction in mid-September.

Prosecutors originally charged all six black students accused of being involved in beating Barker with second-degree attempted murder and conspiracy.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/11/07/jena.six.charges/index.html