Author Topic: Fred Thompson and the phony red pickup truck  (Read 1606 times)

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
Fred Thompson and the phony red pickup truck
« on: September 05, 2007, 09:44:29 PM »
Apparently the good people of Tennessee are the most gullible people on earth. I still don't understand how they could buy the Thompson is a regular guy routine. Thompson is the epitome of the powerful Washington lobbyist. He has about as much in common with the everyday family as Dick Cheney does.

Thompson used to either take a limo or drive his own high end car to a meeting spot a half mile from a rally or debate and have one of his staffers pick him up in the red pickup and drive him the rest of the way so that people could see him in the truck. After the rally or debate one of his staffers would drive back to his car or the limo. Thompson would be wearing jeans and boots.

And these people bought the act.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/27/AR2007082700170.html

Fred Thompson Backers Look for Old Truck

By ERIK SCHELZIG
The Associated Press
Monday, August 27, 2007; 10:55 AM

FRANKLIN, Tenn. -- Fred Thompson's old pickup truck sits behind his mother's house in a Nashville suburb, more than a dozen years after it was credited with helping him win his first bid for public office.

The red paint is faded and the tailgate hangs open, but supporters would like nothing more than to see the actor-politician leap into the bed to make stump speeches in a bid for the White House.

The Republican has not yet announced his candidacy _ that's expected next month _ and there's been no word from Thompson's campaign about whether there will be any role for an old, red pickup truck.

Early in the 1994 race, after struggling to connect with voters, Thompson decided to lease a used truck and drive around the state in what turned out to be a wildly successful effort to recast himself as a folksy man of the people.

His opponent, Democratic Rep. Jim Cooper, derided the truck as a cynical prop to deflect attention from Thompson's inside-the-Beltway status. But Thompson was able to shake off Cooper's suggestion that he was actually a "Gucci-wearing, Lincoln-driving, Perrier-drinking, Grey Poupon-spreading millionaire Washington special-interest lobbyist."

Thompson ended up capturing more than 60 percent of the vote.

Bill Lacy, hired this month to run Thompson's campaign, has a bit of personal history with the truck _ he opposed the proposal to make the pickup a focal point when he was an adviser on the 1994 campaign.

"Fred had the good sense to ignore my advice," Lacy said in an opinion piece in The Knoxville News Sentinel in June.

Thompson so far has not appeared eager to climb back in. At his first public event in Nashville after forming a "testing the waters" committee in June, he shook off an attempt by supporters to have him address the crowd from the back of a brand new red pickup truck they had brought to the event.

Decker

• Getbig V
Re: Fred Thompson and the phony red pickup truck
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 07:02:14 AM »
Yeah he was the washington insider's insider. 

Now he is taking on the role of presidential candidate, conservative and Reagan redux.

This image manipulation works.  Some people want to believe the image b/c it makes them feel good.

Remember Bush the cowboy...the brush clearer...the regular guy...the archetypal military leader in full regalia?

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 10:34:52 AM »

In terms of pure "Presidentiality", Thompson is our guy.

He's not Reagan by a long stretch, but he's the closest-to-Reagan seeming of all the current candidates and that is what America wants right now, in my opinion.

I know I've been saying for 4 years that I would not vote Republican again until the nation cleaned house, but as of today, Fred Thompson is the man who will get my vote, and I say that knowing precious little about his politics.  What he brings to the table is LEADERSHIP and that's something we've desperately needed for a long, long time, even if he represents some things I may find fault with.

I respect that fact that, of all the candidates, he alone is the only non-waffler in the bunch. 

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 10:45:28 AM »
Yeah he was the washington insider's insider. 

Now he is taking on the role of presidential candidate, conservative and Reagan redux.

This image manipulation works.  Some people want to believe the image b/c it makes them feel good.

Remember Bush the cowboy...the brush clearer...the regular guy...the archetypal military leader in full regalia?

You're right, it does work. Even though there is ZERO truth to the image the voters still buy it. That's just amazing. The idea of Fred Thompson as an everyday Joe is laughable. I had forgotten about those images of Bush clearing brush on the ranch, excellent point.

He's not Reagan by a long stretch, but he's the closest-to-Reagan seeming of all the current candidates and that is what America wants right now, in my opinion.

I know I've been saying for 4 years that I would not vote Republican again until the nation cleaned house, but as of today, Fred Thompson is the man who will get my vote, and I say that knowing precious little about his politics.  What he brings to the table is LEADERSHIP and that's something we've desperately needed for a long, long time, even if he represents some things I may find fault with.

I respect that fact that, of all the candidates, he alone is the only non-waffler in the bunch. 

I'm curious, what about him screams "LEADERSHIP" to you?

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2007, 10:46:07 AM »

Why do you think he brings leadership to the table.  Is it b/c he played a leader on television and in the movies?

I would like to see his platform before I decide on whether I'd vote for him.  B/c as it stands, he's starting out in a hole by avoiding the primaries.

The more I look at the republican field, the more I see Mitt Romney grabbing the nomination.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 10:49:14 AM »
Mitts a smart guy but Thompson has carisma....nobody on the dem side has it. Hil would be the only one who exudes any kinda leadership at all....the others are idiots.
L

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 10:53:37 AM »
I'm curious, what about him screams "LEADERSHIP" to you?

He'll look you right in the eye and tell you what he really thinks.  I think he's more interested in being powerful than in getting rich (HUGE difference) and he communicates very well without coming off as a total shyster (a la Clinton, Giuliani, and Romney).

I really, really like the fact that this guy is not (yet) a waffler, a condition which plagues all the other candidates on both sides right now.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 10:54:23 AM »
Why do you think he brings leadership to the table.  Is it b/c he played a leader on television and in the movies?

I would like to see his platform before I decide on whether I'd vote for him.  B/c as it stands, he's starting out in a hole by avoiding the primaries.

The more I look at the republican field, the more I see Mitt Romney grabbing the nomination.

I suppose that strategy was a good one for him but it makes me seriously question his campaign. His phony image and skipping out on the primary IMO are two strong reasons not to trust him. Throw in the Washington Lobbyist career and I'd have a hard time ever voting for him.

He'll look you right in the eye and tell you what he really thinks.  I think he's more interested in being powerful than in getting rich (HUGE difference) and he communicates very well without coming off as a total shyster (a la Clinton, Giuliani, and Romney).

I really, really like the fact that this guy is not (yet) a waffler, a condition which plagues all the other candidates on both sides right now.

If you don't know his politics yet on anything other than Iraq how do you know he's telling you exactly what he thinks? He's an experienced actor, he's skilled in making you believe what he's saying.

You seem sold on Thompson, I don't share your sentiments but I wish there was a candidate that I was sold on. As it stands I have no idea to I'm going to vote for, luckily we're at an early stage in the process.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 10:56:02 AM »

I can judge a leader on sight - the man comports himself extremely well...again, compared to all the others.  

Again, I know nothing about his politics, but even at that, I'd move him to the head of the pack.  

A guy like Romney would make a very, very bad President.  He's a shady character who could give less than a damn about civil liberties.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 10:57:28 AM »
Mitts a smart guy but Thompson has carisma....nobody on the dem side has it. Hil would be the only one who exudes any kinda leadership at all....the others are idiots.

Scary thought, but I actually think Romney is the one Republican that Hillary *sic* could beat head-to-head. 

I do NOT want to see that matchup...

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 10:58:50 AM »
Thompson has charisma...

Totally.

He's got the charisma and has a commanding presence as well. 

Do you really think people can hold a straight face when George Bush walks into a room?  The guy is a joke everywhere he goes.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 10:59:00 AM »
I don't see it in him.  I think he's going to be outspent by his competitors and I think his wife, although very attractive, will be a liability to his campaign.  Speaking at a fund-raiser last week, he introduced Jeri Kehn Thompson as "my campaign manager—oh, I mean my wife." http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20121788/site/newsweek/

Jeez, a driven powerful wife with a likable popular husband who's running for president.

Where have I seen that before?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 11:02:39 AM »
I loved Kerry's wife..the stupid crap she would say...hell maybe she'll be fun to have around. They will keep her under wraps, atleast I'd hope.
L

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 11:05:36 AM »
For all intents and purposes she's a trophy wife. They'll keep her under wraps, he and his people don't want to alienate his core group of voters by prancing around a wife that's young enough to be his daughter and who has a little bit of the blonde bimbo in her.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 11:08:46 AM »
From what I've heard and read, Thompson is known is Washington as being lazy and not all that bright which I guess is why he would make a perfect replacement for Bush

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 11:22:26 AM »
For all intents and purposes she's a trophy wife. They'll keep her under wraps, he and his people don't want to alienate his core group of voters by prancing around a wife that's young enough to be his daughter and who has a little bit of the blonde bimbo in her.
She's not just a trophywife.

"Within his still-unofficial campaign, Jeri has emerged as the would-be candidate's top political adviser and de facto campaign manager. She urged her husband to run in the first place. To prepare for the rigors of a campaign, she recruited staff, including a friend, longtime Republican PR hand Mark Corallo, to help as an unpaid spokesman."

"The campaign advisers say she's smart and tireless—but her spare-no-feelings management style doesn't always have the intended effect. Last month Tom Collamore, a former Reagan aide and tobacco lobbyist hired as campaign manager, quit after what a Thompson associate called "personality conflicts" with Jeri. Three other aides followed."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20121788/site/newsweek/?nav=slate?from=rss

She's Lady Macbeth

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 12:07:33 PM »
For all intents and purposes she's a trophy wife.

America needs a hot First Lady.

Mons Venus

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 12:16:52 PM »
Brainless americans will pretty much buy anything.