Author Topic: Would you want to own your own GYM  (Read 3972 times)

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Would you want to own your own GYM
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2007, 09:08:48 AM »
hazbin, how long did it take you to start making money off your gym?  Would you say its a worthwhile investment for prospective gym owners?

honestly i wouldn't recommend it.

the first seven years i worked 12- 15 hours a day every day. couldn't afford to pay staff, and they would'nt sell as well as a desperate owner who new the bills and overhead anyway.

it took about that long before the dues base was high enough and i could relax. now cashflow is great and i just drop by a few times a day to drop my dog off and say high to a few members. (they love my dog, and he spends more time there than i do)

now i've become so lazy that there is no way i could go back to working that long and hard. i really wouldn't recommend it unless you are fairly young and love the industry so much that the long hours don't seem like work.

also, i'm pretty sure stats say that private non franchised clubs are doomed, i was just to stubborn and naive to give up when things were so tough.

rik

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2007, 09:13:20 AM »
i almost bought a gym in the 80's, but when the owner started telling me that he made most of his money selling juice to his patrons {800 or so} i quickly changed my mind. also watching some of the jackasses in the gyms today also makes this decision a no-brainer.
F

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2007, 10:17:12 AM »
alot of the people who are members are annoying as shit ( but not any of my members that read getbig lol)

LOL and yes, same with mine. I have a 'love-hate' relationship with my members. Some I could strangle, others are great.

The Coach

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2007, 10:23:41 AM »
I think about it once in a while, but right now I have around 35 to 50 clients not including boot camps and my gym overhead is about $500.00 per month, for me it wouldn't be feesable.

Paul Allen

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2007, 10:27:25 AM »
I think about it once in a while, but right now I have around 35 to 50 clients not including boot camps and my gym overhead is about $500.00 per month, for me it wouldn't be feesable.

how do you manage your time?  you seem to be posting on here all day?

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2007, 10:27:25 AM »
CQ are the kinda business owner that makes the phrase "Familiarity breeds contempt" true, I see this all the time... Regulars at any place, gym or restaurant eventually begin to get hated by the owners....whats up with that.

This is my theory...once the patron starts to know to much about you and your coming and goings and dealings, you would rather have them begon...you lose your privacy in some way, so you start to hate them. true or not?

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2007, 10:28:03 AM »

Private gym ownership is tough, although with many smaller gyms like Curves, and variuous private trainer centers opening up, you never know.

You need to know your gym inside and out, what works, what doesnt, making sure that the money coming in matches what is going out, with no skimming, etc.

Memberships are one things, but there are a lot of other aspects. You can have a small store in there, selling drinks, bars, supplements, although you need someone who understand how to run it.  Sometimes these stores can bring in a ton of money, and that contributes to your bottom line, or you rent the space out to someone who is willing to take care of it.

You need to understand the base of your clientle, whethere it is hardcore members, baby boomers, young people, women, non-bodybuilders, and so on. Make sure people are comfortable.  But with the gyms I visit, each has its own unique style, whether MMA, mainstream oriented, hardcore oriented, or a mixture of both. Some have day care in them, some of valet parking, and so on.

But it is an investment, and you need to understand that you will be totally into it. You can't just expect it to thrive. Any gym must be built with hard work, and be willing to do whatever, even loading your own boxes, and so on.

And I would assume location, location, location is so important too.  But hey, I am not an expert on this.

The Coach

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2007, 10:42:34 AM »
how do you manage your time?  you seem to be posting on here all day?

Most days I work a solid 10 -14 hours, Lori, my fiance' takes some of our clients and she also handles the womens boot camps, we share the kids camps and I handle the strength camps. We usually start about 5:30-6:00am with the womens camps for three hours in the mornings and two days in the morning s and afternoons, then we have out personal training clientel during the day.

The strength and kids camps are two days per week, one during the week and one on the weekends.

The Coach

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2007, 10:44:51 AM »
Those 35-50 clients does not include our camps. Thats a whole different clientel.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2007, 10:47:56 AM »
CQ are the kinda business owner that makes the phrase "Familiarity breeds contempt" true, I see this all the time... Regulars at any place, gym or restaurant eventually begin to get hated by the owners....whats up with that.

This is my theory...once the patron starts to know to much about you and your coming and goings and dealings, you would rather have them begon...you lose your privacy in some way, so you start to hate them. true or not?

Well, as far as privacy, I am from one of the smallest nations to ever exist, a micro-nation, I can drive around my entire island in 30 mins [literally] so privacy is nearly impossible here anyway - we all know everyone's business. My members know where my house is, they know my parents, most have known me since I was a kid - as I with them. Privacy here is impossible for all of us, so that is a non concern.

It's not familiarity... it's the fact that some people are just morons. I also face unique difficulties as gym ownership can tend to be a male domain, so sometimes some males may not react well to a tiny chick telling them their membership is suspended due to nonpayment etc.

Steve Pulcinella

• Getbig II
  • www.ironsport.com
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2007, 11:00:58 AM »
I too own my own gym. A 7500 Sq ft place just outside of Philly PA. Like HAZBIN said it's long hours for little return. Gotta love it and then some. Being a strength athlete myself I want to gear the place for real lifting but it's the regular folk that pay the bills. It's tough to walk that fine line between "hardcore" and user friendly. My mentor in the gym biz did tell me this though.....Keep the place clean! That's the number one rule in gyms, resturaunts and doctors offices....keep the place clean. Plus when you are in the gym 16 hours a day it's tough to really get jazzed up about your workout.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2007, 11:14:49 AM »
i agree 100% with what Ron and Steve have said. i got lucky with my location. there was an army barracks by my gym the 1st 5 or so years. it moved and they replaced about 100 army homes with about 300 yuppy homes, alot of whom joined my club.

Cleanliness is more important than almost anything else as well.

rik

Steve Pulcinella

• Getbig II
  • www.ironsport.com
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2007, 11:23:35 AM »
yeah, since i opened my current place an LA fitness has opened 5 miles away, a huge Bally's has opened less than 3 miles away and a YMCA has opened about 2 miles away. I usually get the dudes that none of those clubs wouldn't take.

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2007, 11:34:52 AM »
All you guys that own gyms, please ask your front desk people especially the women to stop being annoying and loud and making unecessary announcments over the intercom and repeating them twice. Also dont flirt with me, I am not interested in having sex with you. And dont say things like, your back again..or wow four times in one week or new T shirt? or are you gaining weight?   They have to learn to be seen and not heard.

Also, the guys that mop the floors at night, please ask them to not mop around me while I am lifting with very strong ammonia smelling dirty water. 

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2007, 12:02:24 PM »
Well, as far as privacy, I am from one of the smallest nations to ever exist, a micro-nation, I can drive around my entire island in 30 mins [literally] so privacy is nearly impossible here anyway - we all know everyone's business. My members know where my house is, they know my parents, most have known me since I was a kid - as I with them. Privacy here is impossible for all of us, so that is a non concern.

It's not familiarity... it's the fact that some people are just morons. I also face unique difficulties as gym ownership can tend to be a male domain, so sometimes some males may not react well to a tiny chick telling them their membership is suspended due to nonpayment etc.

are you people inbred?
Z

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2007, 03:44:42 AM »
are you people inbred?

Like they are in certain undeveloped parts in Czechoslovakia?

flapjack

• Getbig II
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2007, 11:29:23 PM »

now i've become so lazy that there is no way i could go back to working that long and hard. i really wouldn't recommend it unless you are fairly young and love the industry so much that the long hours don't seem like work.

rik

Oh my god...isn't that the truth! Guy actually pays someone to wipe his ass... :o ;D

No Rik, I'm not comming over any time soon... ::)