Author Topic: Who is the strongest Getbig poster?  (Read 13681 times)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: Who is the strongest Getbig poster?
« Reply #175 on: September 10, 2007, 11:54:08 AM »
I don't know what any of you are saying, but how do explain the freakish strength of a country who all day lifts hay bails and heavy equipment and is unreal strong but goes into the gym and can't bench his own bodyweight.  Mike Tyson is a good example.  He is strong as hell as a puncher and looks like he lifts weights but when it comes down to it he is not very string in the gym.  How do you explain a world class powerlifter who can bench 600+, deadlift 900 and squat 900 yet he looses in an armwrestling match against a guy who is sub 200 lbs and has no visible muscle at all.  And check out the grip strength of a guy who swings a hammer 8 hours a day against a pro bodybuilder who lifts tons of weights a day.  To me functional strength is more impressive than weight room strength.  I know if I am ever in a situation where I need to hang onto something for dear life I would rather have functional strength than knowing i can bench 600. 
hahahahha, funny thing is that you don't have either type of strength now. :D

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #176 on: September 10, 2007, 11:55:37 AM »

The bottom line is, we are talking strength, pure and simple. And as with everything else that's an attribute, it's context dependent.

To give you an example, you may be the strongest in your family even though you weight 145 lbs soaking wet (apologies if you really do ;D) and I'm sure your frail, 90 lb mom calls you strong and even thinks that. And she'd be right cause in her frame of reference, you can do some pretty amazing things that she can't do - like open a new jar of peanut butter or lift 2 grocery bags at once (hopefully you can ;D)

But then you go to a powerlifting meet where there's monsters like Wolfy. I don't need to tell you what the reaction would be if you claimed to be 'strong' - if the big guys are really nice as they are most of the times, they'll politely encourage you as long as you don't make a real fool of yourself.

So your gymnasts are cool cause they can do all those things which are impressive. But do most of us grown up guys think that that means they're stronger than a 300 lb NFL player who can bench over 400 lbs? Hardly

Monster Backpeddling

charles-benner

• Getbig II
« Reply #177 on: September 10, 2007, 11:59:12 AM »
First i never start any problems with anyone on any boards they attack me.  Yes my thighs rub "bleed" when i walk the tradmill, yes I am a top Npc competitior with a small waist but that does not mean i am a skinny geek i am 220 lb at 5 9 with  melvin type waist i just have good genetics so what, but my lifts are true and if anyone wants proof come to the gym

no offense "benner" but if you are that geeky schmoe that terrorized mcfarland and the women over at Mayhem you are a liar!
Are your thighs still rubbing together when you walk the treadmill?
What about that 28 inch waist and you being a TOP NPC competitor and natural to boot.

You were exposed over there as a skinny little geek.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #178 on: September 10, 2007, 11:59:46 AM »
I know if I am ever in a situation where I need to hang onto something for dear life

Don't think Dunkin Donuts is closing anytime soon, so you should be OK Onlymen 8)

Monster Backpeddling

More like a digression to make a point that you've obviously missed.

Let's put it simply - there's you who benches 315 at a bodyweight of 150lb and your friend Wolfy who benches 700 at 500 lbs (sorry Wolfe ;D). You both are pinned under a car that weighs 500 lbs. Guess what - Wolfy will push the car away and will have to rescue your ass, no matter how loudly you scream "But I'm stronger - I can bench twice my bodyweight and you can't" while you are still pinned under you car.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #179 on: September 10, 2007, 12:00:43 PM »
Don't think Dunkin Donuts is closing anytime soon, so you should be OK Onlymen 8)

Let's put it simply - there's you who benches 315 at a bodyweight of 150lb and your friend Wolfy who benches 700 at 500 lbs (sorry Wolfe ;D). You both are pinned under a car that weighs 500 lbs. Guess what - Wolfy will push the car away and will have to rescue your ass, no matter how loudly you scream "But I'm stronger - I can bench twice my bodyweight and you can't"
shifted shapes doesn't bench anywhere near 315.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #180 on: September 10, 2007, 12:02:55 PM »
shifted shapes doesn't bench anywhere near 315.

Hahahahaha I didn't have the heart to mention he's upto benching half his bodyweight, after it's public knowledge that he weighs about as much as a pre-pubescent, anorexic schoolgirl does.

To make up for it though, we have Onlymen 8)

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #181 on: September 10, 2007, 12:06:10 PM »

hey, sometimes the employees try to close the store a few minutes early to go home. I can picture onlyme using all of the "functional strength" on the door handle keeping them from locking up. 
Here comes the money shot

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #182 on: September 10, 2007, 12:06:41 PM »

Let's put it simply - there's you who benches 315 at a bodyweight of 150lb and your friend Wolfy who benches 700 at 500 lbs (sorry Wolfe ;D). You both are pinned under a car that weighs 500 lbs. Guess what - Wolfy will push the car away and will have to rescue your ass, no matter how loudly you scream "But I'm stronger - I can bench twice my bodyweight and you can't" while you are still pinned under you car.

how does this contradict anything that I have said? please provide a quote.

why didn't you acknowledge that you were wrong about torque?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #183 on: September 10, 2007, 12:08:58 PM »
Hahahahaha I didn't have the heart to mention he's upto benching half his bodyweight, after it's public knowledge that he weighs about as much as a pre-pubescent, anorexic schoolgirl does.

To make up for it though, we have Onlymen 8)
the only thing prodigious about onlycock is his appetite for Samoan penis.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #184 on: September 10, 2007, 12:10:29 PM »
shiftedshapes has claimed a 475 deadlift as well.

Giving the benefit of the doubt, but come on..

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #185 on: September 10, 2007, 12:13:08 PM »

when you factor in the internet mass monster curve..it is totally possible

hell, several guys on here think that 405 bench press for a couple of reps is nothing for a natty under 185lbs
Here comes the money shot

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2007, 12:13:20 PM »

::)

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2007, 12:14:14 PM »

I have never made such a claim.  Admit to lying or provide a quote....it should be simple if I said it, just search my posts for 475.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2007, 01:38:23 PM »
I have never made such a claim.  Admit to lying or provide a quote....it should be simple if I said it, just search my posts for 475.

475. come one shitshape, that's too easy. a guy like you that can lift his huge 145lb self through space in a full rom should make light work of a meagre 475lb deadlift. you know, with all that 'torque' you got in your masturbating hand.

The Coach

« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2007, 03:18:42 PM »
sorry coach, you have no idea.

functional strength, as pointed out to you, is relative but no matter what type of athlete you are, the best way to increase functional strength is with progressively heavier weights.

what you and shifted are talking about is sports specific strength re gymnastics. put it this way, if a fighter can throw a punch with thousands of pounds of force does that make him the strongest athlete alive? hell no, it just means he's learnt how to put his whole body with momentum into a punch. what about a sprinter and the thousands of pounds of power a sub 10 second 100 metre sprinter can generate each time his foot makes contact with the ground?

you get it yet?

get your head out of your ass and stop confusing technique, balance and sports specific strength with strength. as a personal trainer one would think this would be clear. or maybe you think you're a gymnastics coach now ???... ;D

LOL...oh, I think I have a pretty good idea. The term "sport specific" has been mis-labeled, that term implies that certain movements and movement patterns are specific to individual sports. "Funtional" training as you are describing in your post, is more accuratly represented as more "sports general" than anything. This school of thought views most sports as far more similar than different. Movements such as sprinting, striking, jumping and moving laterally are general skills that apply to many sports. For example, a sports generalist believes that speed training for football and baseball might be similar, as torso training for golf, hockey and tennis. Functional training is looks at the commonalities of sport and reinforces them. Functional training is training the movement.

When I train an ATHLETES, I train the movement before I get too concerned about they're strength, my philosophy has always been in training athletes is to train for joint integrity first before I jump into any type of explosive movements, now you have to understand that this is for the athlete that is just starting out, for my advanced athletes, I usually have them go through physical testing before I just throw them into a power rack or whatever.

Now before you call bullshit on my protocol, think about this. If I have an athlete that has a huge monitary contract and i just start him or her with weight they cannot handle and they get hurt.........it's MY ASS.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2007, 03:21:54 PM »
AHAHHAH!!!  Lemme sum it up:

Gymnasts are stupid queers, powerlifters/bodybuilders would crush any and all gymnasts, functional strength is gay and Wolfe or Billy are probably the strongest on Getbig.....done and done.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2007, 03:27:09 PM »
hahahahha, funny thing is that you don't have either type of strength now. :D

hahaha the first time you have ever said anything that is right

The Coach

« Reply #192 on: September 10, 2007, 03:37:22 PM »
The gymnasts and acrobats (especially the acrobats) are far beyond just "functional" when I say that they are stronger, I mean they are stronger when it comes to stabilization, No doubt Mike Wolff is the strongest on this board when it comes to frontal plane exercises, but the gymnast and acrobat are strong from all planes and that includes holding loads that might be equivlant to them doing as heavy of a load as Mike if that makes sense.

What these guys do takes alot more than balance. It's alot easier to get a gymnast to do a deadlift (pound for pound) than it would be for Mike to do a gymnasts move.

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #193 on: September 10, 2007, 03:38:33 PM »
The gymnasts and acrobats (especially the acrobats) are far beyond just "functional" when I say that they are stronger, I mean they are stronger when it comes to stabilization, No doubt Mike Wolff is the strongest on this board when it comes to frontal plane exercises, but the gymnast and acrobat are strong from all planes and that includes holding loads that might be equivlant to them doing as heavy of a load as Mike if that makes sense.

What these guys do takes alot more than balance. It's alot easier to get a gymnast to do a deadlift (pound for pound) than it would be for Mike to do a gymnasts move.

Do you think the gymnasts shoot a bigger load than big mike?

Whats your take on that coach?

The Coach

« Reply #194 on: September 10, 2007, 03:39:05 PM »
Do you think the gymnasts shoot a bigger load than big mike?

You guys are hopeless :'(

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #195 on: September 10, 2007, 03:40:43 PM »

That could be an interesting point for discussion, the correlation between load volume, and size/strength.

The Coach

« Reply #196 on: September 10, 2007, 03:41:49 PM »
That could be an interesting point for discussion, the correlation between load volume, and size/strength.

Sounds more like PSI :-\

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #197 on: September 10, 2007, 05:48:14 PM »

excuse me?  coach you're the one talking about your ass and shooting loads.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #198 on: September 10, 2007, 05:57:05 PM »

I've been on message boards where the people are even stupider.  Sad but true.

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #199 on: September 10, 2007, 06:01:45 PM »
I've been on message boards where the people are even stupider.  Sad but true.

I bet you fit right in there.