Author Topic: Thompson Fires Away on Abortion, Gay Marriage  (Read 1443 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Thompson Fires Away on Abortion, Gay Marriage
« on: September 08, 2007, 11:21:00 AM »

Saturday, September 8, 2007 1:44 PM 

Don't punish women who have abortions," presidential hopeful Fred Thompson says. Punish the doctors who perform them.

Authorities "can do whatever they want to with abortion doctors, as far as I'm concerned," the former Tennessee senator said while campaigning in Western Iowa according to the Los Angeles Times. But "if it comes down to giving criminal sanctions to a 19-year-old girl and her mama, I'm against that."

While acknowledging that as lawyer and lobbyist, he worked in 1991 and 1992 for a group fighting restrictions on abortion counseling he said that once in the Senate he "voted against these people and everything they were interested in," he said.

Speaking to crowds during his Iowa appearances, Thompson revealed his views on a variety of issues, including activist judges, gay marriage and illegal immigration.

Thompson chastised those judges in Iowa, Massachusetts and other states for rulings that opened the way to same-sex marriage, calling for constitutional amendments to curb judges' power to do so.

"What we're seeing here is a totally judicially created problem," he told a crowd in Sioux City, Iowa according to the Times. "You know how many states have affirmatively approved gay marriage? State legislatures? Zero."

He also said he backed a constitutional amendment to prevent states from being forced to recognize a same-sex marriage performed in another state under "some off-the-wall court decision, "and called for an amendment to bar judges from allowing same-sex marriage in a state unless that state's its legislature had approved it.

On illegal immigration Thompson said steps must be taken to expel illegal immigrants from the U.S.

"I think that if we catch illegal immigrants who are here, they need to be deported," he said. "We have the option of prosecuting them," he added. "It's not being done. I'm not suggesting that it should be done -- fill up our courtroom with these misdemeanor cases -- but we ought to deport them."

On President Bush, Thompson told reporters he supported the President. Asked about whether he would shift the country's direction, Thompson praised Bush's performance on Iraq, the economy and Social Security. While criticizing the president for presiding over "too much spending" at the federal level, he said he backed Bush's efforts to try to overhaul Social Security with private investment accounts. He also praised Bush for "doing a good job" on the economy and said, "I give him credit for the Supreme Court nominations that he's made."

On Iraq, he said "I think that we are finally on the right track in Iraq, and we are making progress." 

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/Fred_Thompson/2007/09/08/31020.html

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Thompson Fires Away on Abortion, Gay Marriage
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 11:42:08 AM »

Saturday, September 8, 2007 1:44 PM 

Don't punish women who have abortions," presidential hopeful Fred Thompson says. Punish the doctors who perform them.

Authorities "can do whatever they want to with abortion doctors, as far as I'm concerned," the former Tennessee senator said while campaigning in Western Iowa according to the Los Angeles Times. But "if it comes down to giving criminal sanctions to a 19-year-old girl and her mama, I'm against that."

While acknowledging that as lawyer and lobbyist, he worked in 1991 and 1992 for a group fighting restrictions on abortion counseling he said that once in the Senate he "voted against these people and everything they were interested in," he said.

Speaking to crowds during his Iowa appearances, Thompson revealed his views on a variety of issues, including activist judges, gay marriage and illegal immigration.

Thompson chastised those judges in Iowa, Massachusetts and other states for rulings that opened the way to same-sex marriage, calling for constitutional amendments to curb judges' power to do so.

"What we're seeing here is a totally judicially created problem," he told a crowd in Sioux City, Iowa according to the Times. "You know how many states have affirmatively approved gay marriage? State legislatures? Zero."

He also said he backed a constitutional amendment to prevent states from being forced to recognize a same-sex marriage performed in another state under "some off-the-wall court decision, "and called for an amendment to bar judges from allowing same-sex marriage in a state unless that state's its legislature had approved it.

On illegal immigration Thompson said steps must be taken to expel illegal immigrants from the U.S.

"I think that if we catch illegal immigrants who are here, they need to be deported," he said. "We have the option of prosecuting them," he added. "It's not being done. I'm not suggesting that it should be done -- fill up our courtroom with these misdemeanor cases -- but we ought to deport them."

On President Bush, Thompson told reporters he supported the President. Asked about whether he would shift the country's direction, Thompson praised Bush's performance on Iraq, the economy and Social Security. While criticizing the president for presiding over "too much spending" at the federal level, he said he backed Bush's efforts to try to overhaul Social Security with private investment accounts. He also praised Bush for "doing a good job" on the economy and said, "I give him credit for the Supreme Court nominations that he's made."

On Iraq, he said "I think that we are finally on the right track in Iraq, and we are making progress." 

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/Fred_Thompson/2007/09/08/31020.html

two virtually irrelevent issues given what else we have to worry about these days

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 11:46:36 AM »
Thompson looks like a run-of-the-mill republican.

Nothing original. 

Nothing special about him at all.

Why bother with guys like him, he's the same thing as Bush.

Let's just permanently install Bush as republican president and forgo this little charade of elections.

Aside from that facetious note, Soc. Sec. privatization is a smoke and mirrors ploy to enrich wall street brokers and money managers at the expense of middle america.  I think Thompson knows this.  Which makes him even more repulsive as a candidate.

Almost tripling the national debt is ""doing a good job" on the economy"?

This guy is a company man through and through.

And this:  "I think that we are finally on the right track in Iraq, and we are making progress."  A statement totally devoid of fact relying on an emotional 'feel good' conclusion.

This country simply cannot afford to have a Bush clone in the whitehouse in 2008.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2007, 11:50:36 AM »
Thompson looks like a run-of-the-mill republican.

Nothing original. 

Nothing special about him at all.

Why bother with guys like him, he's the same thing as Bush.

Let's just permanently install Bush as republican president and forgo this little charade of elections.

Aside from that facetious note, Soc. Sec. privatization is a smoke and mirrors ploy to enrich wall street brokers and money managers at the expense of middle america.  I think Thompson knows this.  Which makes him even more repulsive as a candidate.

Almost tripling the national debt is ""doing a good job" on the economy"?

This guy is a company man through and through.

And this:  "I think that we are finally on the right track in Iraq, and we are making progress."  A statement totally devoid of fact relying on an emotional 'feel good' conclusion.

This country simply cannot afford to have a Bush clone in the whitehouse in 2008.

I'm trying to think of the last time I was excited about a presidential election, based on the quality of the candidates, and I can't think of any.  I'm not thrilled by the prospect of president Rudy or anyone else in the race.  The prospect of President Hillary absolutely scares me. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2007, 11:55:39 AM »
  The prospect of President Hillary absolutely scares me

What exactly are you scared about?

Are you concerned she might take away your civil liberties

Are you scared she might lie and get us into a hopeless police action and bankrupt the country.

or are you just scared that she might take some of your precious money and perhaps do something useful with it?

Don't worry Bum. She's really just a Republican in a pantsuit and she worships money just as much as you do.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 11:56:53 AM »
What exactly are you scared about?

Are you concerned she might take away your civil liberties

Are you scared she might lie and get us into a hopeless police action and bankrupt the country.

or are you just scared that she might take some of your precious money and perhaps do something useful with it?

Don't worry Bum. She's really just a Republican in a pantsuit and she worships money just as much as you do.

::)

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2007, 11:57:23 AM »
I'm trying to think of the last time I was excited about a presidential election, based on the quality of the candidates, and I can't think of any.  I'm not thrilled by the prospect of president Rudy or anyone else in the race.  The prospect of President Hillary absolutely scares me. 
I don't know about fearing president Hillary.

We simply cannot afford to have a Bush policy clone in the WhiteHouse in '08.  On that basis alone, Clinton would get my vote over almost any republican candidate.

I still think that plastic human Romney will be the nominee.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2007, 12:06:43 PM »

wow you don't usually bust out the pompous condescending eye roll so quickly.

you must be tired from all that weed you smoked last night

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 12:09:18 PM »
I don't know about fearing president Hillary.

We simply cannot afford to have a Bush policy clone in the WhiteHouse in '08.  On that basis alone, Clinton would get my vote over almost any republican candidate.

I said a while ago I thought Romney might be the dark horse.  I've only watched him in one debate and liked what I saw, but I still need to learn more about him.  

I don't think the Republican nominee will be a Bush clone.  

Hillary wouldn't be an improvement over Bush on several levels.  She is probably just as stubborn as Dubya.  Despite trying to appear moderate, she's probably as far left as any legitimate Democrat in the race.  People don't like her, so her negatives would probably rival Dubya's early and often during her one-term presidency.  

I really don't see the good outweighing the bad when it comes her.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2007, 12:11:37 PM »
wow you don't usually bust out the pompous condescending eye roll so quickly.

you must be tired from all that weed you smoked last night

Quote from: Straw Man on September 05, 2007, 06:40:49 PM

The only thing I've ever admitted is that I will occassionally smoke 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2007, 12:15:01 PM »
You've already posted this

short term memory problems????

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 06:37:03 PM »
two virtually irrelevent issues given what else we have to worry about these days

100% correct, but I may have to jump off the Thompson bandwagon no sooner than I'd climbed on board.

He's obviously as big as idiot as Romney and the rest of 'em.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 06:38:22 PM »

Is our country really that shitty??

One has to wonder...

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 06:39:26 PM »

Not while the Warren Jeffs trial is going on...

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2007, 06:41:03 PM »
I said a while ago I thought Romney might be the dark horse.  I've only watched him in one debate and liked what I saw, but I still need to learn more about him.  

He wants a wall constructed between the U.S. and Mexico and feels this is a way to slow illegal immigration.

And it's certainly a great way to show how 'wonderful' the U.S. really is...he's a jackass.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 09:09:32 PM »
Is our country really that shitty??

One has to wonder...

It isn't, but we just don't do a good job of putting the best qualified candidates in position to hold public offices, particularly the highest office in the land.  I can think of a number of people better qualified to be president than the front-runners for both parties. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 09:10:23 PM »
He wants a wall constructed between the U.S. and Mexico and feels this is a way to slow illegal immigration.

And it's certainly a great way to show how 'wonderful' the U.S. really is...he's a jackass.

Bad idea.  Sounds like a waste of money and simply a way to score cheap political points.