Author Topic: trying to lose bodyfat  (Read 2692 times)

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
trying to lose bodyfat
« on: September 09, 2007, 03:56:19 AM »
Here it is.
I just turned 18, 5'11, 220lbs. Not sure of bodyfat %, but i'll be honest, it is probably fairly high (high teens, maybe even low 20's).
I just wanna loose bodyfat and try and maintain muscle. I eat pretty clean now and get around 6-7 meals a day, getting probably 250 grams protein a day. Train 4 days a week, not much cardio at all right now.

I'm not cutting to prepare for a show or anything, so i just wanna get to a level where i can get more definition all over and maybe even see my abs lol.

What do you guys think of just simply lowering the carbs and doing 40-60 mins of cardio in the morning on an empty stomach? or go low carb and have a high carb day every week or so? eating very clean throughout and drinking plenty of water.

Don't think that i'm being lazy or wanting to take the easy way to do it, but to be honest, i can't really be bothered following a really strict diet if all i wanna do is just get to an average bodyfat, not shredded or anything.

Any advice/suggestions are appreciated.
Sorry for long post.
No doubt about it...

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
Re: trying to lose bofyfat
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 07:33:28 AM »
here is what i am doing currently doing for a fat loss/muscle maintanence diet.

-1 to 1 and a half hours cadrio in the morning on an empty stomach.
-one can of tuna every hour on the hour.
-two hours befor my workout take in 60 grams of complex carbs(in my case its nomrally two packs of
-quaker weigth smart no sugar high fiber oatmeal).
-during my workoout i slowly sip the first half of my 40 gram protein shake, right before my last set i drink
-the last half of my protein shake.
-45 mins to an hour after my workout i have some veggies, and a baunch of lean meant.
-an hour later i drink another protein shake.
-before i go to bed i do an hour to an hour and a half of cardio.

this is working really well.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

Pete Nice

• Getbig IV
  • Can't wait until the new DaddyWaddy's come out
Re: trying to lose bodyfat
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 03:40:05 PM »

-two hours befor my workout take in 60 grams of complex carbs(in my case its nomrally two packs of
-during my workoout i slowly sip the first half of my 40 gram protein shake, right before my last set i drink
-45 mins to an hour after my workout i have some veggies, and a baunch of lean meant.

so how many meals are you eating a day...12??

actually, how many cans of tuna??

seems interesting
Air Falcon

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 03:53:30 PM »
Don't take candidate's advice. Seriously, that is sickening.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 04:35:00 PM »

Your calories must be REALLY low if that's all you eat. Have you counted them ?
tank u jesus

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2007, 04:54:11 PM »
Your calories must be REALLY low if that's all you eat. Have you counted them ?

He used to weigh like 500 pounds, he could barely get out of bed. It seems to be working for him.
E

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 05:17:04 PM »

no fear of heavy metal poisoning???    :-X :-X :-X

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2007, 07:35:42 PM »
what is sickening? eating tuna every hour?

whatever. i have no problem sacrificing my taste buds. its all good...to me self confidence far outweighs instant short lived taste bud gratifications.

how many meals per day? how many cans of tuna per day? well it all depends on when i wake up and when i go to sleep. like i said...for every waking hour ill eat one can of tuna. ill admit; when im at work i cant always get in the can every hour, but never longer than two hours will go by without gettting that 35 grams of lean protein in.     lets say i wake up at 6 o clock. ill get done with my morning cardio and eat my first can of tuna around 8 o clock. that means ill have 6-8 cans of tuna before my pre workout carbs. than ill have my 40 grams of whey protein post workout shake. then ill have anywhere from 60 to 150 grams of protein for dinner with a salad. normally i have zero fats or carbs other than veggies with dinner.  after that, ill either have another whey shake, or another can of tuna.....then do my cardio and go to sleep.

so depending on how you count meals..you could say i go as high as 12 meals per day. but i dont really count any of them meals except dinner.

i dont give a fuck about the caloric intake..whoever asked about the total amount of calories. i am getting ample protein to build up the muscle tissue i am breaking down; i am getting ample carbs to get through a vigorous workout, and i get enough cardio in the morning and night to burn some serious fat.

its all good in the hood.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2007, 07:52:11 PM »
A Lugar in training
:

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2007, 07:57:09 PM »

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2007, 07:58:20 PM »
i dont get it. whats a lugar
d[-_-]b actin all cool

Pete Nice

• Getbig IV
  • Can't wait until the new DaddyWaddy's come out
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2007, 08:04:02 PM »
Lex Lugar....The wrestler that went psycho then turned into a hardcore christian

Always heard he loved his Tuna ;D
Air Falcon

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 03:13:24 AM »
new to getbig

"Team Tuna"

Membership 1....

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 08:00:44 PM »
Awhile ago I was thinking about doing a candidate style plan except without the cardio and protein shakes, and replacing tuna with eggs.  never tried it though

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 01:02:18 PM »
I've used ECA or CLen in the past and both sped it up a little but..but just that, a little. I compared a chart from when I didn't use it on a cut phase and I only lost 2% more bodyfat with the ECA. That's huge if competing but I don't. I play semi pro rugby.

Honestly diet will play like 90% on how fast you lose. I lower the carbs to about 150g a day and up the protein to 2g per lb of body weight and pre plan my first week meals based on cals and protein then repeat it for 12-16wks or until I hit my goal. Diet sucks...especially as a newbie cause you need to become more organized and pre-make most of your meals. Getting into a routine type thing. Sunday was my cheat day...kinda. No calorie count but still clean..basically a carb load day.

30-45min of 3min fast and hard rounds to the punching bag in the morning

afternoon -
Oatmeal pre workout w/ 1 scoop whey 30-45min before lifting)
10 min cardio pre workout warm-up
workout (alternated between "Heavy" week and "High rep" week)
post shake
1hr cardio

works for me but I've spent years trying to learn what works for ME. Lots of good suggestions here, try some, keep good records of diet and gains / BF loss and keep tweeking till you find YOUR grove. By your post it looks like you've done some research so just keep at it. Take all advice with a grain of salt and bust ass bro, you have a good base to work with.

I'm 6' tall, 242, 17% BF as of now. Prime is 230,8% for my body type.

AVBG

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 01:18:07 PM »
A Lugar in training

I was thinking the same thing.

Beejis60

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2007, 03:02:21 PM »

Lol, okay a few problems but a few good ideas.  First off, fasted cardio is the worst, whatsoever!  I assume you do it first thing in the morning on a empty stomach (hence the "fasted" term)?  You are quite catabolic upon waking and THEN performing cardio on top of it, you will burn muscle, son!  At least hit about a scoop of whey, preferrably WPI since it's the fastest acting.  Or at the VERY worst, down about 10g BCAAs to help slow or stop the catabolism from sleep. 
One can of tuna per hour is a hair rediculous because you are still getting a lot of calories from protein and you're getting some fats; keep in mind protein still causes insulin levels to rise and in doing such, you are slowing the fat loss even worse.  Fatty acid oxidation does not occur when the body is releasing insulin, so in eating every hour you are also retarding fat loss.  The mercury from the tuna really isn't that big of a problem, however.  I eat multiple cans of tuna per day for the past few months because I got into some legal problems recently and I just cannot afford "better" protein sources.  I'm finally making a semi-decent wage from TAing while getting my PhD and the first paycheck comes on Wednesday and most of that check is going to chicken, porkchops, lamb, and steak!
I prefer 60-65g complex carb preworkout, but I eat it with about 70-90g protein like tuna, fat free cheese, extra lean turkey bacon, ground beef, and any mix thereof and I eat this about 90 mins preworkout.
Drinking calories during workout is, possibly, the worst thing for you unless you are cutting calories WAY back or you are a girl, then BCAAs are the best, but not protein itself.  Digestion draws blood to your stomach and in doing so, you are detracting total blood circulation which could cause blackouts or something worse like an aneurysm.
Eating within an hour of ending your workout is the best thing for you, but taking either WPI or BCAAs IMMEDIATELY after workout is extremely important; you only need about 30g protein or 10g BCAAs.  Then eating within an hour is the best with about 50g protein and 50-60g complex carbs; I prefer 1cup dry oats, 1 tbsp wheat bran, 1tbsp oat bran, cinnamon, 1 packet of splenda, and 1tsp of honey for slight taste.
Drinking a shake one hour after your "PWO" meal is about as good of an idea as eating tuna every hour, not very good.
Cardio right before bed can be beneficial, but cardio twice a day probably isn't a good idea unless you're trying to hit a deadline for a show or if you're a fighter trying to make weight; both of which is not applicable in this case.

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2007, 03:58:16 PM »
Lol, okay a few problems but a few good ideas.  First off, fasted cardio is the worst, whatsoever!  I assume you do it first thing in the morning on a empty stomach (hence the "fasted" term)?  You are quite catabolic upon waking and THEN performing cardio on top of it, you will burn muscle, son!  At least hit about a scoop of whey, preferrably WPI since it's the fastest acting.  Or at the VERY worst, down about 10g BCAAs to help slow or stop the catabolism from sleep. 
One can of tuna per hour is a hair rediculous because you are still getting a lot of calories from protein and you're getting some fats; keep in mind protein still causes insulin levels to rise and in doing such, you are slowing the fat loss even worse.  Fatty acid oxidation does not occur when the body is releasing insulin, so in eating every hour you are also retarding fat loss.  The mercury from the tuna really isn't that big of a problem, however.  I eat multiple cans of tuna per day for the past few months because I got into some legal problems recently and I just cannot afford "better" protein sources.  I'm finally making a semi-decent wage from TAing while getting my PhD and the first paycheck comes on Wednesday and most of that check is going to chicken, porkchops, lamb, and steak!
I prefer 60-65g complex carb preworkout, but I eat it with about 70-90g protein like tuna, fat free cheese, extra lean turkey bacon, ground beef, and any mix thereof and I eat this about 90 mins preworkout.
Drinking calories during workout is, possibly, the worst thing for you unless you are cutting calories WAY back or you are a girl, then BCAAs are the best, but not protein itself.  Digestion draws blood to your stomach and in doing so, you are detracting total blood circulation which could cause blackouts or something worse like an aneurysm.
Eating within an hour of ending your workout is the best thing for you, but taking either WPI or BCAAs IMMEDIATELY after workout is extremely important; you only need about 30g protein or 10g BCAAs.  Then eating within an hour is the best with about 50g protein and 50-60g complex carbs; I prefer 1cup dry oats, 1 tbsp wheat bran, 1tbsp oat bran, cinnamon, 1 packet of splenda, and 1tsp of honey for slight taste.
Drinking a shake one hour after your "PWO" meal is about as good of an idea as eating tuna every hour, not very good.
Cardio right before bed can be beneficial, but cardio twice a day probably isn't a good idea unless you're trying to hit a deadline for a show or if you're a fighter trying to make weight; both of which is not applicable in this case.

Wow good post!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2007, 07:21:58 PM »

Thank you!

I gave up A LONNNGGG time ago trying to explain some of these basic points.  It seemed like no one was listening and I got tired of wasting my time sounding like a broken record  ::)   MAYBE hearing it again from someone new and different (and a guy) SOMEONE will finally listen.
:

Beejis60

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2007, 08:35:04 PM »

Thank you!

I gave up A LONNNGGG time ago trying to explain some of these basic points.  It seemed like no one was listening and I got tired of wasting my time sounding like a broken record  ::)   MAYBE hearing it again from someone new and different (and a guy) SOMEONE will finally listen.

Lol, no one listens.  People just type in their questions because they like personalized responses.