Author Topic: Hi-carb PWO shake = insulin spike = visceral fat build up  (Read 2269 times)

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
Hi-carb PWO shake = insulin spike = visceral fat build up
« on: September 09, 2007, 04:32:22 PM »
Lots of fast acting carbs (ie dextrose) directly after a workout when your body is empty causes an insulin spike, which leads to visceral fat build up. Distended belly, GH gut without juicing. True or false...

Discuss :D
tank u jesus

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
Re: Hi-carb PWO shake = insulin spike = visceral fat build up
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 04:35:22 PM »
How high are we talking?

Personally I only take in about 25 grams of carbs post workout but that's just me. I also include about ten grams of BCAA's with that too.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 04:40:06 PM »
40g carbs when cutting
80g carbs when bulking

That's what i take. But i was just thinking in general, regardless of amount. If a major spike can cause a fat build up.
Bodybuilders started growing bigger guts with the introduction of slin, not GH alone.
tank u jesus

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »
40g carbs when cutting
80g carbs when bulking

That's what i take. But i was just thinking in general, regardless of amount. If a major spike can cause a fat build up.
Bodybuilders started growing bigger guts with the introduction of slin, not GH alone.

My guess would be false. You're body is too busy replacing muscle glycogen. However, it would be a different story if we were talking about 250 grams of carbs or something like that.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2007, 07:47:54 PM »
My guess would be false. You're body is too busy replacing muscle glycogen. However, it would be a different story if we were talking about 250 grams of carbs or something like that.

agreed. PWO, there won't be any carbs that get stored. They just relpace the burnt carbs, so i don't think it's possible to build up fat PWO with carbs.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 02:21:25 AM »
There are many that don't juice but still have a bit of distension when relaxed even with low BF%. I'm trying to find the reason behind it and insulin spikes looks the most likely cause, so that was my first guess. Any thoughts on what else could possibly cause it?
tank u jesus

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 03:14:58 AM »
agreed. PWO, there won't be any carbs that get stored. They just relpace the burnt carbs, so i don't think it's possible to build up fat PWO with carbs.

well they do get stored; but as glycogen rather than fat

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 04:51:04 AM »
Lots of fast acting carbs (ie dextrose) directly after a workout when your body is empty causes an insulin spike, which leads to visceral fat build up. Distended belly, GH gut without juicing. True or false...

Discuss :D

False, agree with WOO

I would also recommend a 2:1 carb:protein ratio.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 05:07:36 AM »
could also try switching from dextrose/malto to waxy maize if bloating is a problem.

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 08:58:28 AM »
Read this.
Basically they took 2000 kcals of carbs after training, gained 3 kg muscle and lost 3 kg of fat in 8 weeks.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12094125
Now this is a bit much, and i don't know how many cals they consumed during the rest of the day... But you get the point.

It's probably better to take in some fast carbs just before or during your workout to keep your cortisol levels low.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11905937
$

HalloweenMan

• Getbig III
  • Team What The Fuck?!?!?!
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 10:12:45 AM »

ditto.
F

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 10:21:04 AM »
idk. my metabolism just loves to store carbs as fat.

i have never once had ANY carbs in my post workout shake. Other than the 1-2 grams sugar in each scoop of whey.

what do you guys think...could i just add in maybe a spoon full of sugar to my whey shake?

and adding this wont effect my fat loss diet...it will help improve my pace of fat loss, by way of improving muscle size thus increasing resting metabolic rate and caloric usage....correct? even though i have never done it before?

what do you guy think?...could i maybe just add a spoon full of sugar to my whey shake?

what do you guys think? i want to lose fat.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 11:03:03 AM »
idk. my metabolism just loves to store carbs as fat.

i have never once had ANY carbs in my post workout shake. Other than the 1-2 grams sugar in each scoop of whey.

what do you guys think...could i just add in maybe a spoon full of sugar to my whey shake?

and adding this wont effect my fat loss diet...it will help improve my pace of fat loss, by way of improving muscle size thus increasing resting metabolic rate and caloric usage....correct? even though i have never done it before?

what do you guy think?...could i maybe just add a spoon full of sugar to my whey shake?

What kind of sugar are you talking about? If it's table sugar then no way. If it's something like Dextrose then go for it.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2007, 11:05:40 AM »

NO!

Not all sugars are created equal.  The best, quickest, easiest PWO sugar/carb would be maltodextrin or dextrose.  Use a 4:1 ratio
:

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2007, 12:26:52 PM »
well where could i get some of this maltodextrin or dextrose?

is it in any type of food or drink  that i might have at the house?

i dont have any money that i want to spend on supplements right now.

and yes i was talking about table sugar.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2007, 12:52:41 PM »

malto and detrose only cost a few bucks.

pick up the dextrose from a home brewing shop.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 12:56:25 PM »
Read this.
Basically they took 2000 kcals of carbs after training, gained 3 kg muscle and lost 3 kg of fat in 8 weeks.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12094125
Now this is a bit much, and i don't know how many cals they consumed during the rest of the day... But you get the point.

It's probably better to take in some fast carbs just before or during your workout to keep your cortisol levels low.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11905937

3kg muscle in 8 weeks? :o

The pwo carbs are very effective in building muscle no doubt, but their results are ridicoulous. 2000 calories of carbs that must be like 450-500g carbs if they're using dextrose. Can you imagine drinking 500g carbs after a workout :-X

candidate: dextrose can be found in most grocery stores, it's very cheap.
tank u jesus

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 01:24:53 PM »

Table sugar is sucrose.

I'd try some powdered gatorade/powerade for cheap carbs with Dextrose (not the same as the premixed drink).

OR

You can get some cheap maltodextin for about $2/lbs:

http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Details.aspx?cid=23&pid=77

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 03:15:32 AM »
the body is very capable of refilling it's glycogen reserves after physical actvity. post workout supplementation has marginal effects at best.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 06:55:03 AM »
It is physiologically impossible when the glycogen reserves in the muscles and liver are used up and you drink 80 carbs that they will be stored as fat; only after the muscles and liver are full do they get stored as fat...
I hate the State.

250Ben250

• Getbig III
  • skinman approved.
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2007, 07:28:33 AM »
It is physiologically impossible when the glycogen reserves in the muscles and liver are used up and you drink 80 carbs that they will be stored as fat; only after the muscles and liver are full do they get stored as fat...

True but its also going to depend more on what you're eating the rest of the day, and your pre-workout meal too.

If your 6pm workout is preceded by 3-4 meals and/or a pre-workout shake by the time you get to the gym then its highly unlikely 60 minutes of weight training is going to completely deplete glycogen. I used to force myself to get at least 60gms of carbs with my 40 gms of protein immediately after the gym, but I've gotten better results lately with just using BCAA's around my workout.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2007, 07:43:26 AM »
True but its also going to depend more on what you're eating the rest of the day, and your pre-workout meal too.

If your 6pm workout is preceded by 3-4 meals and/or a pre-workout shake by the time you get to the gym then its highly unlikely 60 minutes of weight training is going to completely deplete glycogen. I used to force myself to get at least 60gms of carbs with my 40 gms of protein immediately after the gym, but I've gotten better results lately with just using BCAA's around my workout.

I train in the morning so I don't have that problem...

Heh, I've tried training on less than 30 carbs a day for weeks on end, now that is a real bitch!!!
I hate the State.

Beejis60

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2007, 02:23:09 PM »
I personally didn't see a difference between WMS/Kwik Karb, rice, pasta, bread, candy, and oats for a PWO carb source, so I just go with oats and it has done well for me, IMO.