Author Topic: Muscle and Hollywood Movies .....  (Read 1426 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Muscle and Hollywood Movies .....
« on: September 10, 2007, 09:27:29 AM »
Under an earlier topic, Erik2 and myself and a couple of others got "off subject" and into discussions about Hollywood movies and movie making and related matters which I believe interested enough of us to keep the subject going in an appropriate location ,,, So here goes .....

We have a few guys on here with movie/acting experience (notably Chic) so maybe they will jump in and offer their comments when appropriate (or otherwise).

I've been in and out and around the movie business for a good number of years now and hope to contribute some worthwhile comments along the way, but the big question that always comes up when movies and bodybuilders are concerned is .... "Why don't they get an actor with a build like the comic-book "Superman" (or any other Super Hero) to play that role on screen?"

And wheneveer I asked that question within the business, I usually get the same, unacceptable answer .... "Becasue no one with a build like the comic-book Superman can act!"

Second response was usually. "Because a guy will not take a date to a movie if the "star" of that movie has a better build than himself!"

And, "The movie going public does not like "muscleheads"!

And in my mind, none of the above is true or acceptable.

I've been a Supe fan since the start (almost) and still leaf through the comic if I see it on the shelf. The Supe of today is far more muscular than the Supe of yesteryear, but the Supes of the silver screen and TV have never progressed physically in the slightest and each and everyone of them have been a physical embarrassment to the Superman suit (if you are a real Supe fan).

At one time there was some intent to introduce Superboy in one of the Superman movies and then spin him off into a major feature of his own, but that never happened. Any reason why?

There was a "punk" Superboy comic for a brief time that was noteworthy about the typical problems while growing up as a teenager with super-powers which would have made a great screenplay if it ever got to the right hands and tied up with the proper actors. I believe that was considered for a while, but it appears to have fallen by the wayside.

Any GetBiggers got any intelligent answers or insights to any of this?

Army of One

• Getbig V
Re: Muscle and Hollywood Movies .....
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 11:24:54 AM »

Any GetBiggers got any intelligent answers or insights to any of this?

Yes, go to a comic book forum you nerd.

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 11:31:13 AM »

Second response was usually. "Because a guy will not take a date to a movie if the "star" of that movie has a better build than himself!"

Not sure where they get the second one.  Plenty of guys paid good money to go to the "Sword & Sandals" movies back in the 60s with Reeves, Park, Forest, etc. and many more went to Arnold's movies in the 80s and 90s.  

The only way we'll see pro bodybuilders in the movies is if someone takes a chance and creates a blockbuster movie with a pro bodybuilder that rakes in the money.  Best way to get a trend going in Hollywood is to come up with a movie that makes big bucks, then every studio in town will be copying it.  

A better question, Stuntmovie, is 'What current pro bodybuilder would make a good movie star?"  I can't think of any, offhand, with the charisma and acting chops to make it in the movies, can you?  Surely not Jay Cutler or Ronnie Coleman.  One would bore the audience to tears and the other one would only have a single, discernable movie tagline, "Ain't nothin' but a peanut" which no one in the audience would understand.  ;D  We need a new Arnold and I don't think there is one in the wings in pro bodybuilding.  (In pro wrestling, maybe.  The Rock is doing pretty well for himself.)

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 11:35:42 AM »
I think if pro bodybuilders stopped wrestling 110lb men in hotel rooms

the movie industry might take them more seriously

hope that helps
T

larger_format

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 11:42:50 AM »

Yes, considering Arnold and Sly and even Jean-Claude to a lesser degree raked in plenty of money for the studios in the 80s/90s .
You must wonder why HOLLYWOOD has not searched for a new musclebound personality to build action movies around. Could it be muscles in general are not "in"
 If you look at the average under 25 year old seems like having a muscular bicep is low on the priority list.

Stu

• Getbig IV
  • Faggotry˛
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 11:58:13 AM »
Im still trying to get over the fact that you as a full grown man still read comics made for kids, that aside most normal people arent interested in seeing overly muscled men regardless of wheather they can act or not..this isnt the 80's bro!

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »
Im still trying to get over the fact that you as a full grown man still read comics made for kids, that aside most normal people arent interested in seeing overly muscled men regardless of wheather they can act or not..this isnt the 80's bro!
Meh. I collect signed, first editions. So farkin' what. Everybody has a hobby. Relax, Stu.

/guy on my ballteam collects star wars lego. now that's weird.  ;)

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 12:08:46 PM »
I think if pro bodybuilders stopped wrestling 110lb men in hotel rooms

the movie industry might take them more seriously

hope that helps

who do you think those 110lb men are?
Here comes the money shot

Stu

• Getbig IV
  • Faggotry˛
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 12:14:40 PM »
Meh. I collect signed, first editions. So farkin' what. Everybody has a hobby. Relax, Stu.

/guy on my ballteam collects star wars lego. now that's weird.  ;)

Dude, WTF is wrong with lego?

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2007, 12:43:51 PM »
Dude, WTF is wrong with lego?
Hey, I guess ya missed the emoticon  ;), eh?

Paul Allen

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 01:54:09 PM »