Author Topic: What is a Mr. Olympia?  (Read 3999 times)

Joel_A

• Getbig III
Re: What is a Mr. Olympia?
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2007, 05:34:55 PM »
All rounds are physique rounds , symmetry in the symmetry round is NOT judged as a separate entity hence why some smaller symmetrical guys never win the symmetry rounds

and symmetry is a broad term term it encompasses general right/left balance , proportion & balance between the muscle groups , overall structure , clavicle width , smallness of hips & waist , so having a gut does effect the symmetry or a least as portion of it .

how can "symmetry" be a broad term? its simple. if the left matches the right, if the top matches the bottom, then its symmetrical, as in a cross, a circle, a box, etc., otherwise its asymmetrical.  you go on talking about proportion and balance, well guess what? they're proportion and balance, NOT symmetry.
when it comes to a human being, symmetry is only measured horizontally, unless you're some kind of freak that has legs where your head's supposed to be.
back to my first question. who came up with the term symmetry round? 'cause it sounds really stupid. they should call it the aesthetics round instead. it's more fitting.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2007, 05:48:50 PM »
how can "symmetry" be a broad term? its simple. if the left matches the right, if the top matches the bottom, then its symmetrical, as in a cross, a circle, a box, etc., otherwise its asymmetrical.  you go on talking about proportion and balance, well guess what? they're proportion and balance, NOT symmetry.
when it comes to a human being, symmetry is only measured horizontally, unless you're some kind of freak that has legs where your head's supposed to be.
back to my first question. who came up with the term symmetry round? 'cause it sounds really stupid. they should call it the aesthetics round instead. it's more fitting.

No this is where you're wrong symmetry IN THE BODYBUILDING CONTEXT includes clavicle width , narrowness of the hips & waist and balance & proportion and length of torso and limbs and to a smaller extent right/left exactness to an extent , NOTHING in nature is exact in terms of true symmetry right/left exactness so don't use this as the definition , symmetry in bodybuilding encompasses all of the above

And all rounds are physique rounds , symmetry & muscularity are NOT judged as separate entities in the giving rounds , the same holds true for posing rounds and historically the most ' symmetrical guy ' doesn't win the symmetry round because specifically its not judged as a separate entity , they judges will not reward a guy who has great symmetry but lags behind in terms of size & conditioning , same holds true for a guy who has great size but no conditioning and poor balance , the winner more often than not wins because he is the best overall package of size , symmetry , conditioning and posing .

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2007, 08:51:11 PM »
The criteria from a symmetry standpoint that favors Jay is muscle balance & proportion between the groups , Wolf has high /smaller calves that lack proportion with his quads , higher lats and a slightly long torso , forearms in proportion to his biceps/triceps , but thats just one aspect of symmetry when Wolf has the clear advantage over Jay is clavicle width , naturally smaller waist & hips , smaller joints , so they both have strengths and weaknesses in the broad term of symmetry , where Jay moves beyond Wolf is size and conditioning at that size .

You forgot that Jay now has a gut as well. That, in my book, is a HUGE minus.

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2007, 08:53:25 PM »
I am not a fan of Jay but he shoulddn't be judged against the past, he should be judged against the current standards

Dorian and Ronnie changed the rules to where size matters a lot. Jay just played the game by the rules

the biggest driest guy wins..with that said I really hope they change the rules back.

I disagree with this. I think he should be judged against what we as fans think are the proper standards for BB. And from the conversations on here, very few people think Jay is the closest to those standards. I'd bet that more people here would want to look like Wolf than like Jay.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2007, 01:53:26 AM »
You forgot that Jay now has a gut as well. That, in my book, is a HUGE minus.

NO I didn't forget he has a gut I actually referred to that in one of my posts .

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2007, 02:27:30 AM »
I think it should be the guy with the physique closest to perfection (in symmetry, proportion, shape, condition), the guy that you want to look like.

Who does NOT want to look like this?

Now...who does not want to look like this?

I choose Wolf's look.

It doesn't matter who I choose, but it's apparent both of these two choose the same hair stylist at BoRics.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2007, 05:16:40 AM »
It doesn't matter who I choose, but it's apparent both of these two choose the same hair stylist at BoRics.

hahahahahaha