Author Topic: Whatever happend to the Olympia Challenge Round?  (Read 1097 times)

Riddick

• Getbig II
  • There's no guarantee that you'll see the next day!
Whatever happend to the Olympia Challenge Round?
« on: September 11, 2007, 05:25:30 PM »
I guess when Gustavo accidently placed ahead of Dexter in 2004, they decided it was a lame addition. But was the 2004 O the first and last year of the challenge round?

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
Re: Whatever happend to the Olympia Challenge Round?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 05:27:16 PM »
They had it, with some changes, in '05 too.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 05:54:32 PM »

They tried some different ideas and methods for the Olympia, the response wasn't too great, so they went back to what worked. This year, the contest will be fun, be that this is the last time we will see Ronnie Coleman possibly on stage, especially at the Olympia, and can Ronnie come back and dethrone Jay Cutler.

Riddick

• Getbig II
  • There's no guarantee that you'll see the next day!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 05:56:11 PM »
But can big Ron still challenge Jay to a "lights out, game over rear lat spread"?

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 06:15:40 PM »
I thought the challenge round was entertaining...the only reason they took it away was because Dexter was a pissed off at his placing at the 04 Olympia, and made a big ordeal about it, and decided to sit the 05. But it was cool to see the top guys calling eachother out, especially in 04, I liked when Ruhl challenged Coleman to a most muscular, but some of it was bullshit, like when Ronnie beat Dex in the abs and thigh call out.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 06:19:27 PM »
I think they took it away because a number of people didn't appreciate it, from fans, to competitors, to the people in the industry. It took a little longer than expected, and took out some of the excitement of the main show, on who will place where.

This year, you never know until the last round on how someone will place, at least for the top 6.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2007, 08:40:08 PM »
...but some of it was bullshit, like when Ronnie beat Dex in the abs and thigh call out.

I agree some of the calls were questionable at best. However, in that Olympia, EVERYONE was calling Ronnie out on the Ab & Thigh shot. Everyone. But people forget it is called and Ab & THIGH shot for a reason- the thighs are just as important as the abs! Ronnie's quads are better than Dexter's, but Dexter's abs are better than Ronnie's. So, which body part do you give more value to? Apparently the judges leaned towards Ronnie that day...(though, to reiterate, I may not have agreed with the call(s)...)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 04:47:26 AM »
Yeah challenge round was pretty entertaining.....we had Gustavo the "arrogant" "Challenger"  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 05:08:21 AM »
the challenge round sucked...

it is not a part of bbing

slayer

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 06:43:00 AM »
I think they took it away because a number of people didn't appreciate it, from fans, to competitors, to the people in the industry. It took a little longer than expected, and took out some of the excitement of the main show, on who will place where.

This year, you never know until the last round on how someone will place, at least for the top 6.

I thought it was the most entertaining mr "O" I watched ! showed the stress on the competiros faces ect... the anger from ronnie , the head shaking after the judges award thier opponent the win ect.... maybe the purist diesnt like shit like that , but myself that really does not care much about bodybuilding contests besides who places top 5 at the olympia , it was pretty entertaining!