Author Topic: The life of a competing IFBB pro..........is it worth it?  (Read 8037 times)

Beener

• Getbig IV
Re: The life of a competing IFBB pro..........is it worth it?
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2007, 05:05:06 AM »
I dont think anyone should be critisized for being dedicated, even extremely dedicated. Some people will liken bodybuilding to other drug abuses, but thats just stupid. A crackhead dooesnt plan out their crack regimen, they just suck dick n smoke crack.

!@#$%

• Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2007, 05:43:20 PM »
Spending your life pursuing big muscles is just as stupid as spending your life pursuing money. They are both forms of materialism, which is ultimately a poor pursuit.

While there are better ways to spend your life, which way is not clearly evident. A better way to live is to spend your life is to pursue something you are passionate about without regard to the material benefits. If someone was passionate about the pursuit of big muscles, but not big muscles as a material possession this may work for them.

The basic problem with the pursuit of the material is you want something and either you don't get it and you are disappointed or you get it and are disappointed. 

You work hard and you buy a house, you get it and you still aren't happy. So you work harder to get a bigger house or a house in a better neighborhood. You get those things and they are always a disappointment, you always want more. There is no way to achieve fulfillment through material possessions.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2007, 05:56:31 PM »
The above is SO TRUE about "wanting".  After ya get it, its often a let down.
ALL the excitment was in the chase.....
Carefull what ya ask for...  ;)  Might just get it.......

!@#$%

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2007, 10:41:19 PM »
"The things you own end up owning you,"
-   Diogenes of Sinope

Sometimes you have to ask yourself do you own your muscles or do they own you?

It is your muscles that demand you eat every two hours, that you eat clean, that you  get plenty of rest, that you take drugs and that lift even on days when you don't feel like it.

whitewidow

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2007, 11:23:44 PM »
Although I agree, BB in terms of the financial aspect is pretty much a sucky deal, it doesn't make it a "Shitty career" IMO. It's like all things in life, you're better off doing what makes you happy but at the same time you have to be smart about it, IMO.

Take myself for instance, I'm not going to lie, being a pro BB in my opinion would be pretty cool, but as I've said on this board time and again, I am in no way delusional. Although living a BB style life is more then demanding and by many is viewed as nothing short of retarded stupidity, it is what I enjoy and it is not harming anyone around me, so why not do what makes me happy? Sure, a lot of people would claim that this type of lifestyle is irresponsible and a waste...I disagree. How can something that one truly loves and provides them self gratification be a waste? The next guy might say that this same love and self gratification can come from many other things that are far more reasonable...maybe so, but everyone has their own niche and why should we bust the balls of those who's niche is BB?

I am all for looking like a bodybuilder and to do that nobody needs to use more than 500mg of Test E weekly along with 300mg of deca and maybe a little dbol. pro bodybuilders are simply drug addicts in a sense. they use drugs they know they shouldnt be using just to look a tad drier or look more vascular.
Their is also too many politics involved in pro Bodybuilding. their are so many pros who do not even crack the top 10 in shows who in my eyes should be Mr.O.  looking like a bodybuilder I am all for but a career as one is big trouble in the long run especially with todays exotics people are using. some bodybuilders are using drugs that are not researched very well and who knows what sides these guys will end up with later in life..I can tell yyou many have become full diebatics from using slin wich is bad news. the drug use is to crazy right now.. like I said if you are taking 500mg Test E and 300mg deca and 30mg dbol daily and you dont look similar to a pro or top amateur something is definately wrong with your training or diet. gear is to easy to get these days guys who dont even know how to train properly or diet right are using gear wich is GOING TO BE THE DOWNFALL SOON.

Beener

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2007, 06:07:06 AM »
You're all a buncha downers!  :P

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2007, 08:09:25 AM »
No!!!

I could only imagine what these guys put their bodys through to be a pro. i know several top amatuer guys who take rediculous amounts of AAS, GH and slin just to compete at 215 pounds. many of these guys have been on for almost 10 years with a few breaks or bridges in between. talking with these guys has made me realize how bad this "sport" really is, basicly all top level pro's are drug addicts and i'm not talking about performance enhancing drugs. GH15 speaks alot of truth behind the uppers and downers these guys must take every day just to feel normal. nubain anyone? look at Cutler, he looks like he's on xanax or valium in every video or pic i've seen of him. these guys are pushing the limit and it's a matter of time before we see more careers ended by health issues. these men are going to doctors every few weeks just to make sure they aren't going to drop dead...got the life?

i'm all for personal freedom and i believe people should be able to do what they want with their body and life. i just can't even imagine what must go through these guys heads to keep this up. ronnie is on his last leg health wise, he needs to stop now. same with ruhl, branch, cutler. pushing too much more could be a bad idea, they all look like walking heart attacks already.

Don't get me started on powerlifters, it's even worse right now. listening to my training partners talk about how they are willing to push the envelope a little more when their blood pressure is all ready over 200...shit, they pop 200mgs of drol a day and wonder why they have nose bleeds and feel lethargic.

the most amazing part is how much the human body can take "without" breaking down. the limit is getting pushed, the effects are being felt and they continue to press on...sad.

8)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2007, 04:07:22 PM »
I am all for looking like a bodybuilder and to do that nobody needs to use more than 500mg of Test E weekly along with 300mg of deca and maybe a little dbol. pro bodybuilders are simply drug addicts in a sense. they use drugs they know they shouldnt be using just to look a tad drier or look more vascular.
Their is also too many politics involved in pro Bodybuilding. their are so many pros who do not even crack the top 10 in shows who in my eyes should be Mr.O.  looking like a bodybuilder I am all for but a career as one is big trouble in the long run especially with todays exotics people are using. some bodybuilders are using drugs that are not researched very well and who knows what sides these guys will end up with later in life..I can tell yyou many have become full diebatics from using slin wich is bad news. the drug use is to crazy right now.. like I said if you are taking 500mg Test E and 300mg deca and 30mg dbol daily and you dont look similar to a pro or top amateur something is definately wrong with your training or diet. gear is to easy to get these days guys who dont even know how to train properly or diet right are using gear wich is GOING TO BE THE DOWNFALL SOON.
You make a lot of good points, and I agree with a lot of those points. however, saying someone only needs 500mg/test/wk, well maybe, it's not really a "need" thing using more, but as I've said before, there is a world of difference between 500mg/wk and 750mg/wk and the difference between 750mg/wk vs. 1000mg/wk, the difference is even more pronounced IMO.

Beener

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2007, 07:59:02 PM »
Everyone keeps saying all these pros are so close to death, but the reality is the pros were dyin much more back in the day when the dihuretics were being abused so much more.

People complain that such and such's quad sweep is too small, that they have tiny arms, etc etc, and then on the other hand these same bodybuilding "fans" complain about drug use in bodybuilding. Can't have it both ways.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2007, 09:04:29 PM »

People complain that such and such's quad sweep is too small, that they have tiny arms, etc etc, and then on the other hand these same bodybuilding "fans" complain about drug use in bodybuilding. Can't have it both ways.
Excelant point.

whitewidow

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2007, 10:57:57 PM »
You make a lot of good points, and I agree with a lot of those points. however, saying someone only needs 500mg/test/wk, well maybe, it's not really a "need" thing using more, but as I've said before, there is a world of difference between 500mg/wk and 750mg/wk and the difference between 750mg/wk vs. 1000mg/wk, the difference is even more pronounced IMO.

I guess it depends on the person and quality of the gear they are using but I have seen people make incredible gains on just small 500mg test E dosages and they look like top amateur bodybuilders. the diffrence is they train their asses offf 6-7 days a week and just know how to train correctly. gear is a very minimal part of the sport.
GH is a little diffrent. that does make a pretty decent diffrence..

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2007, 10:24:00 AM »

I guess it depends on the person and quality of the gear they are using but I have seen people make incredible gains on just small 500mg test E dosages and they look like top amateur bodybuilders. the diffrence is they train their asses offf 6-7 days a week and just know how to train correctly. gear is a very minimal part of the sport.
GH is a little diffrent. that does make a pretty decent diffrence..
OK, I'll go along with that.

atr911

• Getbig II
  • This is why we GetBig
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2007, 11:07:29 PM »
First off, being a pro might be expensive but not necessarily spent on drugs.  I know of a local guy who worked for 15 years to get his procard and didn't receive it until he was a master.  He ate right, trained right and I can only speculate he cycled right.  He owns a successful business, has a family etc etc.  Some guys have fancy cars, some have boats, some have muscles!

He had good genetics but more importantly he had the desire to succeed.

"Hope differed makes the heart sick but a desire fulfilled is the tree of life" Proverbs 13:12

On another note... I can't say I really like where pro BB is going.  They're too big.  I'm a HUGE fan of Bob Paris.  That guy is one of the most symetric perfect physique body builders I have ever seen.  He wasn't HUGE and he never aspired to be.  Body building should, IMO, be about the perfect human body and the muscles that make it up.  Not the most disgustingly gargantuan dude around.  There is NO WAY to maintain that size without drugs.
Git 'er dun!

Luolamies

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2007, 07:52:44 AM »
Many of you have made some good points here, like i said it before i think it is worth it. I've been involved with serious training and sports since i was a child and as far as i'm concerned bodybuilding is just a sport like any other one. Except i think that bodybuilding is far more demanding than most other sports, you have to do allmost everything to get to the top and even more to stay there. Even if you don't want to get to the top, you still have to eat, train and sleep way more than "regular people."

Btw: i don't think that bodybuilders are as sick as many here do, sure they mega dose on everything (or atleast some do) and they live to "excess"  ,but most of these guys are very intelligent and do know what they are doing. I think you could call that "an calculated risk." There are plenty of other sports where drug use is rampant and they use things that aren't even remotely what the human body "normally" has in it. For example many cyclist use drugs that are considered POISON (atleast) in their dosages, just to get an egde and to fool the testers.

I personally think that the worst mistake someone can do with their life is not going after their passion, sure you might fail, but atleast then you don't have any regrets at your death bed. I know so many cases where someone was very talented, skilled and dedicated then something happened and they started to live a normal life. Now i'm not saying that there's anything wrong with that, but all of these people have that "WHAT IF" haunting in the back of their head.

To rape a cliche:

It's better to burn out then fade away...
TEST+DECA+DBOL=BIG

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2007, 09:20:40 AM »
First off, being a pro might be expensive but not necessarily spent on drugs.  I know of a local guy who worked for 15 years to get his procard and didn't receive it until he was a master.  He ate right, trained right and I can only speculate he cycled right.  He owns a successful business, has a family etc etc.  Some guys have fancy cars, some have boats, some have muscles!

He had good genetics but more importantly he had the desire to succeed.

"Hope differed makes the heart sick but a desire fulfilled is the tree of life" Proverbs 13:12

On another note... I can't say I really like where pro BB is going.  They're too big.  I'm a HUGE fan of Bob Paris.  That guy is one of the most symetric perfect physique body builders I have ever seen.  He wasn't HUGE and he never aspired to be.  Body building should, IMO, be about the perfect human body and the muscles that make it up.  Not the most disgustingly gargantuan dude around.  There is NO WAY to maintain that size without drugs.

Major respect to the guy who pulled off the above trick. (Pro Card, Sucessfull Biz, and family)

One thing Ive noticed in 46 yrs is - Sucessfull guys are that way for a reason. If your an advanced BBer,
I suspect you can transfer taht to other pursuits and still maintain at a high level.
 I think the fact is, lots of young guys still train more than they need to.

Pro Card, Self Employed, and family --
Thats determination and very - very carefull time/ productivity managment.
ALmost NOBODY can pull that off,, but it is possible.
Some guys make running 3 profitable businesses and various other pursuits look easy.

atr911

• Getbig II
  • This is why we GetBig
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2007, 01:03:23 AM »
I was told that he was the littlest guy around when he started but the he was also the guy who had a can of tuna and a potato in his pocked wherever he went so he could always have something to eat.  I think I heard he's doing his first pro show this weekend and that he's looking great (at something like 44 no less!)
Git 'er dun!

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2007, 05:09:31 AM »
I was told that he was the littlest guy around when he started but the he was also the guy who had a can of tuna and a potato in his pocked wherever he went so he could always have something to eat.  I think I heard he's doing his first pro show this weekend and that he's looking great (at something like 44 no less!)

Cool. Throw up a pic if you can.
A lot has to do with drive/ determination, intelligent focus of energy, Time, resources.
That one guys I was referring to is not a BBer, but at 65 yrs old runs several business,
still does lots of hard physical labor in the hot sun, and seems to have the natural energy of a 20 yr old on stimulants and steroids.
He aint normal by a long shot.
To bad hes not a BBer, Wide back & strong.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2007, 12:24:08 PM »
-   Diogenes of Sinope

Sometimes you have to ask yourself do you own your muscles or do they own you?

It is your muscles that demand you eat every two hours, that you eat clean, that you  get plenty of rest, that you take drugs and that lift even on days when you don't feel like it.

^Now that is irony. 

Do you own the muscles or are you a slave to them?

They require the food, the exercise, the drugs to maintain the strength/size desired...........yet are you lifting for them or are they lifting for you?

Who owns who?

The difference is, I don't lift when I'm not mentally in to it.

No point.

In that way, I am not a slave to the muscle.......yet I do feed it what it needs, even when I don't feel like eating, injecting etc.

That's a very good quote.

Think about it, people.

Is that you?

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2007, 12:49:37 PM »
I have coustomers who work their ass'es off to own: several corvettes, a Wellcraft, 2 homes etc...
Most of them work so much to support the stuff...THAT THEY NEVER HAVE TIME TO USE EVEN USE IT!

THEY DONT OWN IT - IT OWNS THEM!

Luolamies

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2007, 01:51:40 PM »
EXACTLY!

Last night i was at my friends place and he has a lot nice stuff, like super big tv, car, cameras, computers and all that, we talked about alot of stuff and he asked me why i don't buy more stuff even when i have the money for it. I said i don't see any point in buying stuff i don't NEED. Most of the "luxury" items that i have are souveniers from trips and so on. I'd much rather invest in myself than to a bigger tv which i have no need for. Of course if i'd get alot cash suddenly i would probably buy more stuff just for fun. I also like to use the "extra" cash for traveling rather than to spend it on crap.
TEST+DECA+DBOL=BIG

!@#$%

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2007, 07:54:15 PM »
EXACTLY!

Last night i was at my friends place and he has a lot nice stuff, like super big tv, car, cameras, computers and all that, we talked about alot of stuff and he asked me why i don't buy more stuff even when i have the money for it. I said i don't see any point in buying stuff i don't NEED. Most of the "luxury" items that i have are souveniers from trips and so on. I'd much rather invest in myself than to a bigger tv which i have no need for. Of course if i'd get alot cash suddenly i would probably buy more stuff just for fun. I also like to use the "extra" cash for traveling rather than to spend it on crap.

You need to love life. More than you love things, more than you love people and more than you love yourself, you need to love life.

Things are hallow and when you put your happiness into the hands of others you are losing too much power. People will let you down, but life is what you make of it.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2007, 06:37:04 AM »
You need to love life. More than you love things, more than you love people and more than you love yourself, you need to love life.

Things are hallow and when you put your happiness into the hands of others you are losing too much power. People will let you down, but life is what you make of it.

Great post...

When you're an old man sitting in a rocking chair do you think you will remember the expensive cars you drove or the smiles of your children's faces?

in the end i believe happiness is the key to success. i see so many people with ASSLOADS of money who hate life, or they don't have time to spend it. 50% of all millionaires are drug addicts or recovering addicts. money doesn't buy happiness...

8)