Author Topic: 100m in 9.74 seconds  (Read 8105 times)

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
Re: 100m in 9.74 seconds
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2007, 12:49:08 PM »
one way or the other... i think steroids to sprinting is like steroids to home run hitting

you are either born fast or you're not... steroids might make you 3-5% better but the other 95-97% is natural talent

Brady Anderson doesn't agree with you. PEDs aren't going to make a bad ballplayer a good ballplayer but they will add homerun power to someone that didn't have much of it before. Add 30-40' to a lot of routine fly balls and many of them turn into homeruns.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2007, 12:50:40 PM »
but if he took gear..he might not be a "nobody"

one day kevin powell (sp) was a  nobody...next day he breaks the long jump distance..become a millionare

oddly enough he never approached that distance again..makes you wonder what he did different for that event ;)

Kim Collins isn't a nobody.

He's won the world championships.
As empty as paradise

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2007, 12:51:07 PM »
one way or the other i like homeruns and fast sprints... who cares if they use drugs  :)

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2007, 12:51:16 PM »
the bigger issue is..has the men 100m reached the human limit?

we now celebrate shaving off 1/1000th of a second
Here comes the money shot

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2007, 12:55:33 PM »
Ben's problem is that he was too good..he looked too good..dude was muscular and ripped for a runner.
Not an exception. Most sprinters, especially the black dudes, have great muscularity. Comes with the type of body, and muscle fibre, that that can run that fast.

/i'd be crossing 50m as the winners crossed the tape   :'( 

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2007, 12:59:06 PM »
the bigger issue is..has the men 100m reached the human limit?

we now celebrate shaving off 1/1000th of a second

some guys at MIT calculated that the maximum human potential was something like 8 seconds...   i am trying to find that study now

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2007, 01:09:21 PM »
Not an exception. Most sprinters, especially the black dudes, have great muscularity. Comes with the type of body, and muscle fibre, that that can run that fast.

/i'd be crossing 50m as the winners crossed the tape   :'( 

dude, this was in the 80s, before sprinters had muscles,

sprinters didn't weight train back then..they were all skinny..in context of other sprinters at the time he was a "beast"

Here comes the money shot

affy

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2007, 01:11:47 PM »

some guys at MIT calculated that the maximum human potential was something like 8 seconds...   i am trying to find that study now

LMAO holy shit...im guessing every single variable (temperature, moisture and other stupid insignificant things) has to be perfect to achieve that...which in reality just wont happen

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2007, 01:19:07 PM »
Whilst i am not niave to think taht the top sprinters dont take drugs.

Although it is against the olympic ethic it would be interesting to see a blatant drug abused 100m to see them run 9.4 etc same with other events this would make it more interesting in my eyes having both but would runi sports

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2007, 01:24:49 PM »
Jim Hines ran a 10.03 in 1964. He did it on an old pre-rubber surface track.

I think we can assume he was clean, despite all the steroids that was sooo available at that time. ::)

My point is that running fast is possible for natural athletes. And also, that despite what everyone thinks, the 100 meters hasn't developed much in 30 years.

As empty as paradise

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2007, 01:30:17 PM »
Whilst i am not niave to think taht the top sprinters dont take drugs.

Although it is against the olympic ethic it would be interesting to see a blatant drug abused 100m to see them run 9.4 etc same with other events this would make it more interesting in my eyes having both but would runi sports

why would it ruin sports?  I think it would make them a lot more interesting and honnest.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2007, 01:31:27 PM »
Jim Hines ran a 10.03 in 1964. He did it on an old pre-rubber surface track.

I think we can assume he was clean, despite all the steroids that was sooo available at that time. ::)

My point is that running fast is possible for natural athletes. And also, that despite what everyone thinks, the 100 meters hasn't developed much in 30 years.

bump!

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2007, 01:33:31 PM »
possible without drugs? maybe
possible without being black? never

i think this pretty much sums it up.

these guys get tested dozens of times in competition, in season, out of season and most of them barely improve year in year out- with many slightly getting slower every year.

personally i think olympic level athletics is pretty clean...the risks are very high. in fact dare i say it but its the US athletes that seem to be the regularly caught cheats.

when a guy's 100m sprinting goes from nowhere man to WR then alarm bells sound. Asafa has been around the mark for year. Gatlin, Montgomery, Johnson (Ben not Mike), Chambers all came from finalists (and even non finalists) to improve .3-.5 within a very short time after years of also running...all of them got busted.

lewis, johnson (mike), cal smith, wariner, burrel etc were always around the mark and were gun athletes straight from juniors.

the jury is still out on Tyson Gay..its a shame that an athlete should be under scrutiny.

flo jo ruined it for the women and women's sprinting..period.

even marion jones got done.

hard to find a US athlete that hasnt cheated actually.

a real shame.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2007, 01:33:54 PM »
ben was a beast.
Z

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2007, 01:36:54 PM »
Bob Hayes was awesome.  Being the fastest human and great football player this guy was built like a bodybuilder.  He was awesome

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2007, 01:37:04 PM »

dude, this was in the 80s, before sprinters had muscles,

sprinters didn't weight train back then..they were all skinny..in context of other sprinters at the time he was a "beast"

rubbish. weight training has been part of the sprinter's regimen since the early 60s. FYI Ben weighed a massive 74 kg (175lb) at 5'10''. hardly a beast.

Asafa Powell is 6'3'' and weighs 200..

Christie was 6'2'' and weighed 204.

perhaps the biggest factor is how lean they are on the day of the comp.

asafa powell weighs in at around

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2007, 01:39:43 PM »

as always, human potential has to be based on the findings of the day and the science of the day...both of which will be obselete next year.

so perhaps that study can say that it is 8 seconds based on what we know today.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2007, 01:46:22 PM »
rubbish. weight training has been part of the sprinter's regimen since the early 60s. FYI Ben weighed a massive 74 kg (175lb) at 5'10''. hardly a beast.
Really!? I remember watching the finals where he won gold and just being knocked out by his muscularity. Now almost 20 years later, and looking at the above photos, he looks nothing like I remember him, almost small even.  :-\

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2007, 02:23:07 PM »

That might changed in 15 years, as tracks get faster, and shoe technology gets better,  the times will drop. And that is not factoring in the human element. I couldn't even say what would be tops, but I think faster than 8 seconds.

At this time in the early 70's nobody thought a 9.74 was possible. And back in the 60's, stating that a 9.74 was possible would get you laughed out of room.

musclehedz

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2007, 03:05:18 PM »
i think this pretty much sums it up.

these guys get tested dozens of times in competition, in season, out of season and most of them barely improve year in year out- with many slightly getting slower every year.

personally i think olympic level athletics is pretty clean...the risks are very high. in fact dare i say it but its the US athletes that seem to be the regularly caught cheats.

when a guy's 100m sprinting goes from nowhere man to WR then alarm bells sound. Asafa has been around the mark for year. Gatlin, Montgomery, Johnson (Ben not Mike), Chambers all came from finalists (and even non finalists) to improve .3-.5 within a very short time after years of also running...all of them got busted.

lewis, johnson (mike), cal smith, wariner, burrel etc were always around the mark and were gun athletes straight from juniors.

the jury is still out on Tyson Gay..its a shame that an athlete should be under scrutiny.

flo jo ruined it for the women and women's sprinting..period.

even marion jones got done.

hard to find a US athlete that hasnt cheated actually.

a real shame.

Tell this story to a professional sports doctor, he would laugh so badly. There are loads of chemical masks avalible to cover up any substance.

Knives

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2007, 03:13:55 PM »
possible without drugs? maybe
possible without being black? never

I also have to agree

If you really think about it, will drugs really help that much in sprinting?  Most of the sprinters have physiques that are attainable naturally, and their strength in the weight room is attainable without drugs.  I've seen a video of Asafa Powell, the guy who just broke the record, training and he was doing benches and squats in the mid 200s.  Hardly unattainable naturally.

However, 55 men in history have run under 10 seconds and they all were black except 1 man, who was of native Australian descent, and he only ran sub-10 once.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2007, 04:11:43 PM »
asafa fastest man in the world...

thats how we jamaicans do... from such a small island and we have prduced some of the worlds greatest sprinters... overall america dominate sprinting .. but at the olympics then come jamaica..
genetics baby
 ;D ;D
choice is an illusion

affy

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2007, 04:16:56 PM »
asafa fastest man in the world...

thats how we jamaicans do... from such a small island and we have prduced some of the worlds greatest sprinters... overall america dominate sprinting .. but at the olympics then come jamaica..
genetics baby
 ;D ;D

seriously you guys don't even have to lift a weight and have an amazing physique.  The ones who do lift weights eat jerk chicken and mango juice once a day and supplement with a beef patty post workout, and still end up being 190+ lean

wtf gives...its not fair!

Alex23

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2007, 04:22:59 PM »
true, but that 3% is the difference between winning a gold medal...and being a highschool gym teacher

..or being your office's VB .NET / Excel solution resident expert.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2007, 04:23:25 PM »
lol.... its the sun man..  8)
choice is an illusion