Author Topic: 100m in 9.74 seconds  (Read 8106 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: 100m in 9.74 seconds
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2007, 05:01:44 PM »
one way or the other... i think steroids to sprinting is like steroids to home run hitting

you are either born fast or you're not... steroids might make you 3-5% better but the other 95-97% is natural talent

What he's neglected to mention because he doesn't get it is that the 3-5% makes all the difference in the world LOL

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2007, 05:02:36 PM »
possible without drugs? maybe
possible without being black? never

the best in the world's not possible now without drugs.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2007, 05:04:43 PM »
i don't think you believe that... it still takes years of dedicated training and eating and shiting  :)

1-2-3 for wooo's brilliance in stating the obvious...

DUH

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2007, 05:06:01 PM »
They have also been "speeding up" the tracks in an effort to erase Ben Johnson's Record. Much to the dismay of long distance runners. If Ben were running on the tracks today, using the same shit he used back then, 9.74 would easily be in his pocket, if not quicker than that. Ben was so far ahead of his time, that took till 21st century for his record to be broken.

Agreed about the track but it's not because of Johnson it's just advances in technology and composites.

He was impressive but if Johnson was really as great as you say it would've taken longer than it did to surpass him.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2007, 05:10:16 PM »
Ben's problem is that he was too good..he looked too good..dude was muscular and ripped for a runner.

He definitely had an incriminating "look" that others didn't, but the biggest thing was his stupidity in taking doses beyond the normal times needed to clear detection. Not a bright guy, it was his coach who took east German methods and combined it with Johnson's genetics. 1984 Olympics were a good indication of Johnson's time with less juice, in other words he was good but not a standout. His reaction time out of the blocks went crazy on the juice, just like Bond's bat reaction time.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2007, 05:11:50 PM »
Not an exception. Most sprinters, especially the black dudes, have great muscularity. Comes with the type of body, and muscle fibre, that that can run that fast.

/i'd be crossing 50m as the winners crossed the tape   :'( 

Johnson was more muscular than the others; benched around 400 lb. at 170 lb. or less, more than the others. Maybe not huge muscles, but very defined, dense fast-twitch & lower bodyfat typical of men & women roid users.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2007, 05:13:18 PM »
despite what everyone thinks, the 100 meters hasn't developed much in 30 years.

Disagree; basically the steroid era brought the times down significantly, something like the difference between the 80s and 90s in BB.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2007, 05:16:23 PM »
I also have to agree

If you really think about it, will drugs really help that much in sprinting?  Most of the sprinters have physiques that are attainable naturally, and their strength in the weight room is attainable without drugs.  I've seen a video of Asafa Powell, the guy who just broke the record, training and he was doing benches and squats in the mid 200s.  Hardly unattainable naturally.

Drugs make a big difference in the start of the sprint and maintaining max. speed later. Also a big training aid in allowing greater endurance and faster recovery.

Johnson had an abnormally fast start-on roids. His time earlier and later in his career without the same assistance was significantly slower without the same start.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2007, 05:27:20 PM »
havent read much in the thread but ill say this.

asafa is on drugs (so what?) and ran 9.74 at high altitude with a wind of 1.7

ben johnson using drugs ran 9.79 almost 20 years ago (88)

which puts johnson very close to asafa.

if ben could have competed and been pressed maybe he could have run abit faster..maybe matching asafas time. just speculation that doesnt mean anything tho.

its impossible to break the world record without using drugs.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2007, 07:15:11 PM »
Jim Hines ran a 10.03 in 1964. He did it on an old pre-rubber surface track.

I think we can assume he was clean, despite all the steroids that was sooo available at that time. ::)

According to GH15 they were. He has it on good authority Reeves used. ::)
The House that Ruth built

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2007, 07:22:18 PM »
havent read much in the thread but ill say this.

asafa is on drugs (so what?) and ran 9.74 at high altitude with a wind of 1.7

ben johnson using drugs ran 9.79 almost 20 years ago (88)

which puts johnson very close to asafa.

if ben could have competed and been pressed maybe he could have run abit faster..maybe matching asafas time. just speculation that doesnt mean anything tho.

its impossible to break the world record without using drugs.

Agreed, Johnson's still there with Asafa; that Olympic 9.79 comes down to around 9.75 if he doesn't raise his hand near the end.

The Coach

« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2007, 07:22:48 PM »

dude, this was in the 80s, before sprinters had muscles,

sprinters didn't weight train back then..they were all skinny..in context of other sprinters at the time he was a "beast"

True, but over the years science with reguards to weight training for sprinting or any other explosive type of sport had proven that speed training starts in the weight room.

*Waiting for Beast8692 to call bullshit*

tony b

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2007, 08:52:30 PM »
It is an amazing feat whether drug tainted or not!

I read the other day that some beer company was sponsoring the event and said that if the world record in the 100m was broken that they would shout everyone in the stadium free beer. Not sure if this occured or not?

the choad

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • King Of All Meltdowns
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2007, 09:50:51 PM »
There are very few on the world stage that compete in the 100 meters naturally...Maybe 5% compete naturally...These Guys Are so far ahead of the tests...These guys are using Gh, IGf, and these newer Peptides and other fancy drugs..

the choad

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • King Of All Meltdowns
« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2007, 09:55:03 PM »
remember when Linford Chrisitie tested positive for Nandrolone/Deca Durabolin? He was cleared Because he claimed he had sex with his pregnant wife the night before the race...

Lurker79

• Getbig III
« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2007, 09:57:59 PM »
Youtube Video - Ben Johnson 1988 Seoul Olympics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxbxdzRQXlI

I remember watching that live as a kid and being blown away by his size. Doesn't seem so huge now, but still impressive compared to your average Joe on the street, and compared to the other competitiors. Lewis looks like a kid, so skinny.

Johnson smoked everyone in that race.

Knives

• Getbig III
« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2007, 09:58:39 PM »
remember when Linford Chrisitie tested positive for Nandrolone/Deca Durabolin? He was cleared Because he claimed he had sex with his pregnant wife the night before the race...

I think that was Dennis Mitchell's excuse

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2007, 12:46:25 AM »
What kind of weight training would improve sprint speed? wouldn't really big legs be a hindrance?
tank u jesus

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2007, 01:14:57 AM »
Disagree; basically the steroid era brought the times down significantly, something like the difference between the 80s and 90s in BB.

Jim Hines ran a 10.03 on clay in 1964.

Asafa Powell runs a 9.74 on rubber surface in 2007, with better shoes.

That's 29/100 in 43 years.

Of course the steroids have brought the times down. But the training these sprinters are doing is most likely still very far from being optimal.

If anything, the steroids have prevented the training techniques from developing, since the times went down anyway.
As empty as paradise

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2007, 01:22:55 AM »
Youtube Video - Ben Johnson 1988 Seoul Olympics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxbxdzRQXlI
I remember watching that live as a kid and being blown away by his size. Doesn't seem so huge now, but still impressive compared to your average Joe on the street, and compared to the other competitiors. Lewis looks like a kid, so skinny.
Johnson smoked everyone in that race.
Cool clip.
What a technique Lewis has, a pleasure to watch. Even though he was also on drugs. (I heard a rumour that he even was on GH, that might explain his weird jaw and the braces he had to wear.)

What kind of weight training would improve sprint speed? wouldn't really big legs be a hindrance?
Let me tell you a secret. Training with weights doesn't make you a huge beast overnight.
$

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2007, 01:29:25 AM »
Cool clip.
What a technique Lewis has, a pleasure to watch. Even though he was also on drugs. (I heard a rumour that he even was on GH, that might explain his weird jaw and the braces he had to wear.)
Let me tell you a secret. Training with weights doesn't make you a huge beast overnight.

so i have been wrong all these years :'(
tank u jesus

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2007, 01:53:31 AM »
possible without drugs? maybe
possible without being black? never

::)
  ::)

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2007, 03:08:59 AM »
asafa fastest man in the world...

thats how we jamaicans do... from such a small island and we have prduced some of the worlds greatest sprinters... overall america dominate sprinting .. but at the olympics then come jamaica..
genetics baby
 ;D ;D

Imagine what would happen if you got say, 3 of your sprinters together and 1 guy who could steer and you took up bobsleding.

Nah it couldn't happen  ;D

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2007, 03:37:32 AM »
..or being your office's VB .NET / Excel solution resident expert.

dot net is hard. is that what you do? holy crap i couldnt get past page 2.
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2007, 04:19:35 AM »
asafa fastest man in the world...

thats how we jamaicans do... from such a small island and we have prduced some of the worlds greatest sprinters... overall america dominate sprinting .. but at the olympics then come jamaica..
genetics baby
 ;D ;D

Preach on my brother, preach on 8)