Author Topic: WWE Star Makes Bodog Fight Debut  (Read 1226 times)

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
WWE Star Makes Bodog Fight Debut
« on: September 13, 2007, 12:19:56 PM »
There's always a healthy degree of skepticism when it comes to cross-over athletes. A few have enjoyed success, like Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders and Dennis Rodman (okay, he was a cross-dressing success). But remember when Michael Jordan tried his hand at baseball? Yikes!

The world of mixed martial arts also has its share of two-sport athletes, with several wrestlers and boxers crossing over into MMA. But the best examples are those who have left behind their former sports to pursue full-time MMA careers, like Bodog Fight's own Matt Lindland (20-5), who won an Olympic silver medal in Greco-Roman wrestling at the 2000 summer games in Sydney before venturing into MMA.

Another success story is former pro wrestler Daniel Puder of California, who takes on Indiana's Mike Alden this Tuesday, September 18 at 9 p.m. and midnight EST when Bodog Fight: Costa Rica Combat continues on The Score Television Network.

The 25-year-old Puder won World Wrestling Entertainment's first "Tough Enough Challenge" in 2004. However, he would later draw the ire of Vince McMahon by straying from the promoter's plan to have the popular Kurt Angle punish him during a WWE event. Instead, Puder humiliated Angle in front of a live audience by trapping the former Olympic Gold Medal wrestler in a "key lock". Angle has vowed revenge ever since.

If he wants his reprisal, however, Angle will have to leave the scripted world of sports entertainment and follow Puder to MMA, but it won't be easy.

Puder is now undefeated in four MMA fights heading into this heavyweight bout with the 23-year-old Alden, who is also undefeated at 6-0. Admitting this will be his toughest test to date, Puder is confident his wrestling pedigree has prepared him well for the rigors of Bodog Fight.

"I think that pro-wrestling has toughened me up," says Puder. "You're falling more, you're being dropped more and you can get hurt a lot quicker. I've been flash KO'd a few times [in pro wrestling] and had to keep going in the match. So I'm ready for whatever happens in the ring."

Puder may have found the transition smooth, but according to Bodog Fight founder Calvin Ayre, he represents the exception rather than the rule.

"MMA is such a multi-dimensional sport that most cross-over athletes find it difficult, and bringing them into an organization like Bodog Fight requires a different approach," says Ayre. "You have to assess their progress carefully, and matching them up with appropriate opponents can sometimes be tricky."

If Angle does eventually decide to make the jump to MMA, Ayre would have no problem finding him an opponent.

"Puder would be the obvious choice, but Kurt would probably want to get a few fights under his belt first," says Ayre. "But as a fan, I'd love to see that fight."

What do you guys think of all the WWE guys that have made the change to real Fighting... How many more will we see..

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
Re: WWE Star Makes Bodog Fight Debut
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 01:26:51 PM »
There's always a healthy degree of skepticism when it comes to cross-over athletes. A few have enjoyed success, like Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders and Dennis Rodman (okay, he was a cross-dressing success). But remember when Michael Jordan tried his hand at baseball? Yikes!

The world of mixed martial arts also has its share of two-sport athletes, with several wrestlers and boxers crossing over into MMA. But the best examples are those who have left behind their former sports to pursue full-time MMA careers, like Bodog Fight's own Matt Lindland (20-5), who won an Olympic silver medal in Greco-Roman wrestling at the 2000 summer games in Sydney before venturing into MMA.

Another success story is former pro wrestler Daniel Puder of California, who takes on Indiana's Mike Alden this Tuesday, September 18 at 9 p.m. and midnight EST when Bodog Fight: Costa Rica Combat continues on The Score Television Network.

The 25-year-old Puder won World Wrestling Entertainment's first "Tough Enough Challenge" in 2004. However, he would later draw the ire of Vince McMahon by straying from the promoter's plan to have the popular Kurt Angle punish him during a WWE event. Instead, Puder humiliated Angle in front of a live audience by trapping the former Olympic Gold Medal wrestler in a "key lock". Angle has vowed revenge ever since.

If he wants his reprisal, however, Angle will have to leave the scripted world of sports entertainment and follow Puder to MMA, but it won't be easy.

Puder is now undefeated in four MMA fights heading into this heavyweight bout with the 23-year-old Alden, who is also undefeated at 6-0. Admitting this will be his toughest test to date, Puder is confident his wrestling pedigree has prepared him well for the rigors of Bodog Fight.

"I think that pro-wrestling has toughened me up," says Puder. "You're falling more, you're being dropped more and you can get hurt a lot quicker. I've been flash KO'd a few times [in pro wrestling] and had to keep going in the match. So I'm ready for whatever happens in the ring."

Puder may have found the transition smooth, but according to Bodog Fight founder Calvin Ayre, he represents the exception rather than the rule.

"MMA is such a multi-dimensional sport that most cross-over athletes find it difficult, and bringing them into an organization like Bodog Fight requires a different approach," says Ayre. "You have to assess their progress carefully, and matching them up with appropriate opponents can sometimes be tricky."

If Angle does eventually decide to make the jump to MMA, Ayre would have no problem finding him an opponent.

"Puder would be the obvious choice, but Kurt would probably want to get a few fights under his belt first," says Ayre. "But as a fan, I'd love to see that fight."

What do you guys think of all the WWE guys that have made the change to real Fighting... How many more will we see..

Initially we will probably see a large influx of pro wrestlers into MMA probably most of them will have a legitimate collegiate or high school wrestling back ground.  After a while I imagine those numbers will drop after they realize how tough it is.  On another note, Ive notice a lot of posts by you today.  Are you  subtle applying for the mod position that was recently vacated..
A

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 12:47:55 PM »
Puder was fighting out of Frank Shamrock's gym before going to the WWF.  He is decently skilled. 

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 01:25:27 PM »
Puder was fighting out of Frank Shamrock's gym before going to the WWF.  He is decently skilled. 

Must not have made the money he wanted.. It's crazy hearing him talk about getting flash KO'd and still having to keep up the action..