Author Topic: The difference between Religion and Spirituality  (Read 7238 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
The difference between Religion and Spirituality
« on: September 14, 2007, 01:11:57 PM »
(from GotQuestions.org)

Question: "What is the difference between religion and spirituality?"

Answer: Before the difference between religion and spirituality is explored, we must first define the two terms. Religion can be defined as “belief in God or gods to be worshipped, usually expressed in conduct and ritual” or “any specific system of belief, worship, etc., often involving a code of ethics.” Spirituality can be defined as “the quality or fact of being spiritual, non-physical” or “predominantly spiritual character as shown in thought, life, etc.; spiritual tendency or tone.” To put it briefly, religion is a set of beliefs and rituals that claim to get a person in a right relationship with God, and spirituality is a focus on spiritual things and the spiritual world instead of physical / earthly things.

The most common misconception about religion is that Christianity is just another religion like Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, etc. Sadly, many who claim to be adherents of Christianity do practice Christianity as if it were a religion. To many, Christianity is nothing more than a set of rules and rituals that a person has to observe in order to go to Heaven after death. That is not true Christianity. True Christianity is a relationship with Jesus Christ. True Christianity is not a religion, but rather is having a right relationship with God by receiving Jesus Christ as the Savior-Messiah, by grace through faith. Yes, Christianity does have “rituals” to observe (e.g. baptism and communion). Yes, Christianity does have “rules” to follow (e.g. do not murder, commit adultery, lie, steal, etc.). However, these rituals and rules are not the essence of Christianity. The rituals and rules of Christianity are the result of true Christianity. When a person receives salvation through Jesus Christ, he/she is baptized as a proclamation of that faith. He/she observes communion in remembrance of Christ’s sacrifice. He/she follows a list of do’s and don’t's out of love for God and gratitude for what He has done.

The most common misconception about spirituality is that there are many forms of spirituality, and all are equally valid. Meditating in unusual physical positions, communing with nature, seeking conversation with the spirit world, etc., etc. may seem to be spiritual, but they are in fact false spirituality. True spirituality is possessing the Holy Spirit of God as a result of receiving salvation through Jesus Christ. True spirituality is the fruit that the Holy Spirit produces in a person’s life: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). Spirituality is all about becoming more like God, who is spirit (John 4:24), and having your character conformed to His image (Romans 12:1-2).

What religion and spirituality have in common is that they both can be false methods of having a relationship with God. Religion tends to substitute the heartless observance of rituals for a genuine relationship with God. Spirituality tends to substitute connection with the spirit world for a genuine relationship with God. Both can be, and often are, false paths to God. At the same time, religion can be valuable in the sense that it points to the fact that there is a God, and we are somehow held accountable to Him. The only true value of religion is its ability to point out that we have all fallen short, and are in need of a Savior. Spirituality can be valuable in that it points out that the physical world is not all there is. Human beings are not only material, but also are comprised of a soul-spirit. There is a spiritual world around us of which we should be aware. The true value of spirituality is that it points to the fact that there is something and someone beyond this physical world, to which we need to connect.

Jesus Christ is the fulfillment of both religion and spirituality. Jesus is the One to whom we are accountable – which all religion points to. Jesus is the One to whom we need to connect – which spirituality points to. Are you interested in discovering true religion and true spirituality? If the answer is yes, please begin your journey on our webpage that describes receiving Jesus Christ as your Personal Savior - http://www.gotquestions.org/personal-Savior.html.

R

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: The difference between Religion and Spirituality
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 02:40:18 PM »
(from GotQuestions.org)

Question: "What is the difference between religion and spirituality?"

Answer: Before the difference between religion and spirituality is explored, we must first define the two terms. Religion can be defined as “belief in God or gods to be worshipped, usually expressed in conduct and ritual” or “any specific system of belief, worship, etc., often involving a code of ethics.” Spirituality can be defined as “the quality or fact of being spiritual, non-physical” or “predominantly spiritual character as shown in thought, life, etc.; spiritual tendency or tone.” To put it briefly, religion is a set of beliefs and rituals that claim to get a person in a right relationship with God, and spirituality is a focus on spiritual things and the spiritual world instead of physical / earthly things.

The most common misconception about religion is that Christianity is just another religion like Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, etc. Sadly, many who claim to be adherents of Christianity do practice Christianity as if it were a religion. To many, Christianity is nothing more than a set of rules and rituals that a person has to observe in order to go to Heaven after death. That is not true Christianity. True Christianity is a relationship with Jesus Christ. True Christianity is not a religion, but rather is having a right relationship with God by receiving Jesus Christ as the Savior-Messiah, by grace through faith. Yes, Christianity does have “rituals” to observe (e.g. baptism and communion). Yes, Christianity does have “rules” to follow (e.g. do not murder, commit adultery, lie, steal, etc.). However, these rituals and rules are not the essence of Christianity. The rituals and rules of Christianity are the result of true Christianity. When a person receives salvation through Jesus Christ, he/she is baptized as a proclamation of that faith. He/she observes communion in remembrance of Christ’s sacrifice. He/she follows a list of do’s and don’t's out of love for God and gratitude for what He has done.

The most common misconception about spirituality is that there are many forms of spirituality, and all are equally valid. Meditating in unusual physical positions, communing with nature, seeking conversation with the spirit world, etc., etc. may seem to be spiritual, but they are in fact false spirituality. True spirituality is possessing the Holy Spirit of God as a result of receiving salvation through Jesus Christ. True spirituality is the fruit that the Holy Spirit produces in a person’s life: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). Spirituality is all about becoming more like God, who is spirit (John 4:24), and having your character conformed to His image (Romans 12:1-2).

What religion and spirituality have in common is that they both can be false methods of having a relationship with God. Religion tends to substitute the heartless observance of rituals for a genuine relationship with God. Spirituality tends to substitute connection with the spirit world for a genuine relationship with God. Both can be, and often are, false paths to God. At the same time, religion can be valuable in the sense that it points to the fact that there is a God, and we are somehow held accountable to Him. The only true value of religion is its ability to point out that we have all fallen short, and are in need of a Savior. Spirituality can be valuable in that it points out that the physical world is not all there is. Human beings are not only material, but also are comprised of a soul-spirit. There is a spiritual world around us of which we should be aware. The true value of spirituality is that it points to the fact that there is something and someone beyond this physical world, to which we need to connect.

Jesus Christ is the fulfillment of both religion and spirituality. Jesus is the One to whom we are accountable – which all religion points to. Jesus is the One to whom we need to connect – which spirituality points to. Are you interested in discovering true religion and true spirituality? If the answer is yes, please begin your journey on our webpage that describes receiving Jesus Christ as your Personal Savior - http://www.gotquestions.org/personal-Savior.html.

What do you think about that explanation STella?
As empty as paradise

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 02:59:39 PM »
What do you think about that explanation STella?

*Spirituality can be defined as “the quality or fact of being spiritual, non-physical” or “predominantly spiritual character as shown in thought, life, etc.; spiritual tendency or tone.”

**The most common misconception about spirituality is that there are many forms of spirituality, and all are equally valid. Meditating in unusual physical positions, communing with nature, seeking conversation with the spirit world, etc., etc. may seem to be spiritual, but they are in fact false spirituality. True spirituality is possessing the Holy Spirit of God as a result of receiving salvation through Jesus Christ. True spirituality is the fruit that the Holy Spirit produces in a person’s life: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). Spirituality is all about becoming more like God, who is spirit (John 4:24), and having your character conformed to His image (Romans 12:1-2).

I agree w/it...the only exception (if it is one) being that I usually think of "spirituality" as the initial definition* he stated and had not ever considered "true spirituality" as the extended explanation** he wrote.   It makes sense but I hadn't considered it in that way before.

R

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 03:42:21 PM »
I agree w/it...the only exception (if it is one) being that I usually think of "spirituality" as the initial definition* he stated and had not ever considered "true spirituality" as the extended explanation** he wrote.   It makes sense but I hadn't considered it in that way before.

In your own words,

what makes you think Christianity is different from any other world religions?

The most common misconception about religion is that Christianity is just another religion like Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, etc.
As empty as paradise

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 04:03:17 PM »
In your own words,

what makes you think Christianity is different from any other world religions?

Christianity is about Grace.  It's about the free gift of forgiveness provided for us by Jesus Christ.  Believing in Him as Savior encompasses that we believe we are sinners in need of a Savior and we believe he died on the cross for our sins and rose again.   We believe there are no deeds or works or rituals etc. we could perform that would make us good enough to make us right w/God...only Jesus can do that....and able to spend eternity in HIs presence (heaven).   

Some other religions (although I don't consider Christianity a religion) of which I'm aware are works-based.  There are things the person must do and/or must not do to "make it" into heaven.  Christianity says our works are like "filthy rags" in regard to if they would be considered something that could get us into heaven.  Christianity says grace through faith in Christ gets us in, and gives us a relationship w/God. Other "religions" encourage their followers to perform certain acts and maybe they'll get in from what they have done/not done.  Christianity says no one gets in on their own. 
R

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 04:14:16 PM »
Some other religions (although I don't consider Christianity a religion) of which I'm aware are works-based. There are things the person must do and/or must not do to "make it" into heaven.

What religions would that be?
As empty as paradise

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 05:22:20 PM »
judaism and islam

The Jewish-Muslim Connection: Traditional Ways of Life

http://www.danielpipes.org/article/160

Most basically, Judaism and Islam emphasize correct action and Christianity stresses correct faith. Pious Jews and Muslims are more concerned with fulfilling God's commandments; their Christians counterparts concentrate on attitude and feeling.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 09:54:24 AM »
Stella, I have heard it said that "Religion is spirituality in a cheap tuxedo."

What do you think? :)

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 08:38:58 PM »
I've always thought spirituality is believing in god but not necessarily taking the bible as gospel

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 08:45:55 PM »
I've always thought spirituality is believing in god but not necessarily taking the bible as gospel

Ah yes, the Bible as salad bar from which to pick and choose what one likes and discard the annoying bits... How convenient!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 01:31:03 PM »
What religions would that be?

In agreement w/MB_722

-Judaism
-Islam

Others include:

-Jehova's Witnesses
-Scientology
-Hinduism
-Buddism
-The Bahai Faith

In addition there are some denominations that are generally considered "Christian" by some that have beliefs that include works as a requirement for salvation.  Their plan of salvation is not in agreement w/the bible and so could be considered their own religion IMO.  These would include:

-Roman Catholicism
-Denominations that believe water-baptism as a requirement for salvation

R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 01:44:15 PM »

I think I've always considered spirituality as believing in things not seen...souls/spirits etc...and it could include God or not. 

Stella, I have heard it said that "Religion is spirituality in a cheap tuxedo."

What do you think? :)

I guess it would depend on the point of view.  It seems like someone who holds the following point of view might agree:

R

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 01:47:43 PM »
So for you, "true spirituality" is your brand of Christianity. Everyone else is not "spiritual"...

Tell that to those wise and learned Muslim Sufi scholars, among many others...

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 01:52:04 PM »
So for you, "true spirituality" is your brand of Christianity. Everyone else is not "spiritual"...

Tell that to those wise and learned Muslim Sufi scholars, among many others...
Who is this post to?
R

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 01:53:44 PM »
Whoever it is that said
True spirituality is possessing the Holy Spirit of God as a result of receiving salvation through Jesus Christ. True spirituality is the fruit that the Holy Spirit produces in a person’s life: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23). Spirituality is all about becoming more like God, who is spirit (John 4:24), and having your character conformed to His image (Romans 12:1-2).

That was you, right?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 01:55:04 PM »
Whoever it is that said
That was you, right?

hehehe no.  You may want to re-read the thread  :)
R

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007, 01:58:13 PM »
Good deal. So it wasn't you after all. It was whoever wrote that stuff. :)

It seems to me, however, that most people who want to regard themselves as "spiritual" rather than "religious" are doing so just so they can bend the rules: for example, so they can have sex and masturbate without the guilt... Being "spiritual" allows them to pick and choose, whereas being "religious" is a commitment.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 03:17:36 PM »
hehehe no.  You may want to re-read the thread  :)

???
It was you.

I then asked you what you thought of it, your answer:

As empty as paradise

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2007, 03:19:33 PM »
In agreement w/MB_722

-Judaism
-Islam

Others include:

-Jehova's Witnesses
-Scientology
-Hinduism
-Buddism
-The Bahai Faith

In addition there are some denominations that are generally considered "Christian" by some that have beliefs that include works as a requirement for salvation.  Their plan of salvation is not in agreement w/the bible and so could be considered their own religion IMO.  These would include:

-Roman Catholicism
-Denominations that believe water-baptism as a requirement for salvation

How is Islam more works based than Christianity?
As empty as paradise

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2007, 06:30:29 PM »
???
It was you.

no.

It was whoever wrote that stuff. :)

I then asked you what you thought of it, your answer:

I don't see what you are saying here Hedge?   Are you saying that since that guy's point of view makes sense to me that I fully subscribe to it?  I hadn't considered that...I'd have to give it more thought.  I think from a believer's point of view his description does make perfect sense....to a believer.  That being said I still think of the term "spirituality" in more of a dictionary definition; the way I have always seemed to see it.  But after reading that guy's description I am interested in his concept of "True Spirituality" as it makes sense to me as a believer. 

How is Islam more works based than Christianity?

Salvation in Christianity is a free gift that you cannot earn and you cannot lose.

Salvation according Islam:
(according to contenderministries.org)

The Five Pillars of Islam are core beliefs that shape Muslim thought, deed, and society.  A Muslim who fulfills the Five Pillars of Islam, remains in the faith of Islam, and sincerely repents of his sins, will make it to Paradise. If he performs the Five Pillars but does not remain in the faith, he will not be saved.

1.  Shahada 
The Shahada is the Islamic proclamation: "La Allah illa Allah, wa Muhammad rasool Allah (There is no true God except Allah and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah)."
This is the confession that Allah is the one and only true God, that Allah alone is worthy of worship, that Allah alone is the sovereign lord who does what he wills with whomever he wills. It means that all his rules and laws found in the Koran are to be followed. It means that the Christian doctrine of God as a Trinity is false as are all other belief systems including pantheism.
Muhammad is the true and greatest prophet of Allah and recognition of Muhammad as the Prophet of God is required. It was through Muhammad that Allah conveyed the last and final revelation.
2.  Prayer (Salat)
Prayer involves confession of sins which begins with the purification of the body and ends with the purification of the soul. Prayer is performed five times a day. The first prayer is at dawn and the last at sunset.
3.  Fasting (Saum)
The month of Ramadan is the month of fasting in Islam. It is an act of worship where the faithful follower denies his own needs and seeks Allah. Usually, this fasting entails no drinking, eating during, or sexual relations during the daylight hours for the entire month of Ramadan.  At the conclusion of Ramadan, is the "Eid" or feast.  The Eid is a very elaborate and extravagant feast to mark the end of the fast.   
4.  Alms-giving or charity (Zakat)
Charity given to the poor. It benefits the poor and it helps the giver by moving him towards more holiness and submission to Allah. Alms-giving is considered a form of worship to God.
5.  Pilgrimage (Hajj)
This is the pilgrimage to Mecca. All Muslims, if they are able, are to make a pilgrimage to Mecca. It involves financial sacrifice and is an act of worship.  Muslims must make the pilgrimage the first half of the last month of the lunar year

That website could be inaccurate but it seems to coincide w/what I've heard about Islam.  Any other info is welcome. 
R

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2007, 06:51:22 PM »

Salvation according Islam:
(according to contenderministries.org)

The Five Pillars of Islam are core beliefs that shape Muslim thought, deed, and society.  A Muslim who fulfills the Five Pillars of Islam, remains in the faith of Islam, and sincerely repents of his sins, will make it to Paradise. If he performs the Five Pillars but does not remain in the faith, he will not be saved.

1.  Shahada 
The Shahada is the Islamic proclamation: "La Allah illa Allah, wa Muhammad rasool Allah (There is no true God except Allah and Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah)."
This is the confession that Allah is the one and only true God, that Allah alone is worthy of worship, that Allah alone is the sovereign lord who does what he wills with whomever he wills. It means that all his rules and laws found in the Koran are to be followed. It means that the Christian doctrine of God as a Trinity is false as are all other belief systems including pantheism.
Muhammad is the true and greatest prophet of Allah and recognition of Muhammad as the Prophet of God is required. It was through Muhammad that Allah conveyed the last and final revelation.
2.  Prayer (Salat)
Prayer involves confession of sins which begins with the purification of the body and ends with the purification of the soul. Prayer is performed five times a day. The first prayer is at dawn and the last at sunset.
3.  Fasting (Saum)
The month of Ramadan is the month of fasting in Islam. It is an act of worship where the faithful follower denies his own needs and seeks Allah. Usually, this fasting entails no drinking, eating during, or sexual relations during the daylight hours for the entire month of Ramadan.  At the conclusion of Ramadan, is the "Eid" or feast.  The Eid is a very elaborate and extravagant feast to mark the end of the fast.   
4.  Alms-giving or charity (Zakat)
Charity given to the poor. It benefits the poor and it helps the giver by moving him towards more holiness and submission to Allah. Alms-giving is considered a form of worship to God.
5.  Pilgrimage (Hajj)
This is the pilgrimage to Mecca. All Muslims, if they are able, are to make a pilgrimage to Mecca. It involves financial sacrifice and is an act of worship.  Muslims must make the pilgrimage the first half of the last month of the lunar year

That website could be inaccurate but it seems to coincide w/what I've heard about Islam.  Any other info is welcome. 

Your source points out that Muslims won't go to heaven if they don't remain in faith.

Where in your source does it says that if a Muslim doesn't fulfill the 5 pillars, he/she won't go to heaven?

BTW, nice job, using a Christian source for explaining Islam. No bias there...::)
As empty as paradise

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2007, 07:19:15 PM »
Hedge, I think this site may be better than Stella's previous source of info on Islam, that Josh McDowell of Campus Crusade for Christ.

I used to watch his TV program on TBN occasionally when I was a teen. Dude is a whacko.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2007, 06:54:26 AM »
Your source points out that Muslims won't go to heaven if they don't remain in faith.

Where in your source does it says that if a Muslim doesn't fulfill the 5 pillars, he/she won't go to heaven?

BTW, nice job, using a Christian source for explaining Islam. No bias there...::)

I assume you are capable of doing your own search regarding this topic and picking a site that is acceptable to you.   Maybe the site I used is biased; I don't know for a fact if it is or is not.  It coincides w/what I've previously learned about Islam but that doesn't mean for sure it is 100% fact.  Maybe there are better sites out there that you can present.  We are willing to learn  :)
R

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2007, 07:37:21 AM »
I assume you are capable of doing your own search regarding this topic and picking a site that is acceptable to you.   Maybe the site I used is biased; I don't know for a fact if it is or is not.  It coincides w/what I've previously learned about Islam but that doesn't mean for sure it is 100% fact.  Maybe there are better sites out there that you can present.  We are willing to learn  :)

Nice.

Your source points out that Muslims won't go to Paradise if they don't remain in faith.

So according to your source, the faith seems pretty important.

Lets look at how important the works are for getting into Paradise:

Where in your source does it says that if a Muslim doesn't fulfill the 5 pillars, he/she won't go to Paradise?
As empty as paradise

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2007, 10:30:42 AM »
Nice.

Thanks  :)

Your source points out that Muslims won't go to Paradise if they don't remain in faith.

So according to your source, the faith seems pretty important.

Lets look at how important the works are for getting into Paradise:

Where in your source does it says that if a Muslim doesn't fulfill the 5 pillars, he/she won't go to Paradise?

You may be looking for a statement that is simply not there (in the source). 

But it does make me curious as to what they mean by "remain in the faith" and what this entails.  We could ask haidar or ask Toxy to ask his parents.  It could just be "belief" or it could include works.  Maybe it means something else entirely?   What do you think it means Hedge?
R