Author Topic: How I would judge the Mr. Olympia (idea)  (Read 1416 times)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
How I would judge the Mr. Olympia (idea)
« on: September 14, 2007, 07:24:29 PM »
Here's what I'd do if I ran the Olympia ......  How bout YOU!?

If I ran the Oly, I'd invite 90 of the biggest "expert", GetBig members (and you guys can pick just who they are), divide them into ten groups of 9 men/women each, sit them up front as close to the official Judging table as possible, give them a pencil and a score sheet, and let each group of nine "GetBig Test Officials" judge the event during the Friday Night "prejudging" as they see fit.

Once the prejudging is finished, an "official or team of officials" as designated by the GetBig members (I recommend none other than Ron and/or Chick and/or myself who appear to be the most honest and intelligent  and knowledgeable GetBig members presently available) would compute the individual scores as submitted by each of the nine-member GetBig Judging Panels.

The judging panel that comes closest to the Official Judging Panel final results would henceforth be invited to participate as the "unofficial judging panel" at all future IFBB events held within the US during the following 12 month time period.

The expenses (transportation, hotel, meals, and $80 a day spending money) would be paid by GetBig contributors, IFBB monies, and any interested sponsors.

This would help to alleviate numerous claims that an event is "fixed" or possibly even provide evidence to the contrary.

This is an original idea and can be remolded to benefit all involved if thought out  and administered properly.

Based on my passed experience, those who complain the loudest regarding the results of any BB contest; usually are teh first to change their mind when given the opportunity to sit in as a "non-official judge". We used to call them "Test Judges" and many of them would simply throw there hands up in the air half way through a contest because of the difficulty of the expenience in the process.

From that point on, they rarely complained.

Any other half-assed Oly ideas out there?

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
Re: If I Ran the Olympia ......
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 07:50:58 PM »
That post hurts my eyes.

Got a Reader's Digest version?
Ron: "I am lazy."

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 08:39:22 PM »

If I ran the Oly, I'd invite 90 of the biggest "expert", GetBig members (and you guys can pick just who they are), divide them into ten groups of 9 men/women each, sit them up front as close to the official Judging table as possible, give them a pencil and a score sheet, and let each group of nine "GetBig Test Officials" judge the event during the Friday Night "prejudging" as they see fit.

Once the prejudging is finished, an "official or team of officials" as designated by the GetBig members (I recommend none other than Ron and/or Chick and/or myself who appear to be the most honest and intelligent  and knowledgeable GetBig members presently available) would compute the individual scores as submitted by each of the nine-member GetBig Judging Panels.

The judging panel that comes closest to the Official Judging Panel final results would henceforth be invited to participate as the "unofficial judging panel" at all future IFBB events held within the US during the following 12 month time period.

The expenses (transportation, hotel, meals, and $80 a day spending money) would be paid by GetBig contributors, IFBB monies, and any interested sponsors.

This would help to alleviate numerous claims that an event is "fixed" or possibly even provide evidence to the contrary.

This is an original idea and can be remolded to benefit all involved if thought out  and administered properly.

Based on my passed experience, those who complain the loudest regarding the results of any BB contest; usually are teh first to change their mind when given the opportunity to sit in as a "non-official judge". We used to call them "Test Judges" and many of them would simply throw there hands up in the air half way through a contest because of the difficulty of the expenience in the process.

So let me get this straight. The group that picks the same guys as the current IFBB judges get to be judges and THAT eliminates any complaints about fixing contests?  ::)

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 08:48:19 PM »
So let me get this straight. The group that picks the same guys as the current IFBB judges get to be judges and THAT eliminates any complaints about fixing contests?  ::)

hahaha, monster logic, stuntmovie = pwned

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 08:51:56 PM »
Not really, Don. This is just a suggested scenario and it would have to be improved upon before it was actually put to use. Comments similar to yours would be helpful in setting it up correctly.

But I personally feel that a basis such as the official judging panel would have to be established. Something has to be established so that others can be graded against.

OR, better yet, draft up a system that would incorporate all 11 judging panels and develop some form of statistical analysis that would determine and justify the results based on the input from all the panels.

This could get complicated! Any college trained statisticians here?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 08:59:26 PM »
Are you guys aware of the many formulas used in many athletic endeavors?

There is a complicated statistical formula to grade bodybuilding judges, but I don't know if they use it anymore.

There is another formula (not as complicated) to compare the strength of Powerlifters.

I'll do my best to look them up if anyone is really interested. Maybe one of the BB judges on this site can tell us if the Judges' Scoreing Analysis is still in use. In my day it was too damn complicated for most of us, but it was always included at the bottom of every judge's scoresheet to keep record on how well that judge was doing.

But once again and as Don so intelligently states ..... the individual judge's resulting score was graded against the overall scoreing results.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 09:05:27 PM »

There is a complicated statistical formula to grade bodybuilding judges, but I don't know if they use it anymore.

It wasn't that complicated, really:

If they picked the guy Weider wanted, they got an "A".

If they didn't, they got an "F".

::)

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 09:26:06 PM »
Is that a fact, Goat, or just your mind working overtime?

I gotta make this clear though and say that I am talking "NPC" formula here and not IFBB. To the best of my knowledge, there never has been a formula to grade the judges by within the IFBB

But ....

if you know anything about Bodybuiding Judging within the NPC you would have to agree that the exclusion of the Highs and Lows make it damn difficult for any individual judge to cheat or attempt to manipulate the scoreing system.

If you doubt that you should sit in as a test judge and see what's involved and how well it works.

But cheating in favor of one athlete over another would be possible if the results were tampered with AFTER each judge has made his decision in writing on the official score sheet or if all the judges have conspired to cheat in favor of a particular athlete before the judging process even started.

That would be a good excuse for placing lower than one expected but in my years of active experience, I have yet to see it happen except for one occurance in another organization many years ago.

To this date, I have yet to hear any disgrunteled former NPC official claim that judging within the NPC was fixed in favor of one athlete over another and the only IFBB contest decision I still question was the contest when Arnold beat Mentzer in Australia... but I wasn't there to see that one myself.

I also question the day when Serge Nubret lost to Arnold. But I wasn't at that one either. Those thoughs are solely based on the feelings and conversations of friends who were actually present.

And don't forget ----- You're seeing a different contest if you're more than two rows behind the official  judges' table or if you're looking at photos on the internet.

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 08:42:04 AM »

I like the idea of involving fans.  but yeah, the logic is a little flawed as presented by the threda starter.
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

UK Gold

• Getbig IV
  • Riding on the Getbig wind
Re: How I would judge the Mr. Olympia (idea)
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 08:53:36 AM »

But you're a Hollywood mogul that hangs out with megastars. Why do you care??? ::) ::) ::)

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 11:35:30 AM »
To this date, I have yet to hear any disgrunteled former NPC official claim that judging within the NPC was fixed in favor of one athlete over another and the only IFBB contest decision I still question was the contest when Bob Chick won the Master's... but I wasn't there to see that one myself.

;D

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2007, 11:37:28 AM »
Is that a fact, Goat, or just your mind working overtime?

I gotta make this clear though and say that I am talking "NPC" formula here and not IFBB. To the best of my knowledge, there never has been a formula to grade the judges by within the IFBB

But ....

if you know anything about Bodybuiding Judging within the NPC you would have to agree that the exclusion of the Highs and Lows make it damn difficult for any individual judge to cheat or attempt to manipulate the scoreing system.

If you doubt that you should sit in as a test judge and see what's involved and how well it works.

But cheating in favor of one athlete over another would be possible if the results were tampered with AFTER each judge has made his decision in writing on the official score sheet or if all the judges have conspired to cheat in favor of a particular athlete before the judging process even started.

That would be a good excuse for placing lower than one expected but in my years of active experience, I have yet to see it happen except for one occurance in another organization many years ago.

To this date, I have yet to hear any disgrunteled former NPC official claim that judging within the NPC was fixed in favor of one athlete over another

My comments referred to the IFBB, not the NPC.  I thought that was obvious, but maybe not.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 11:41:17 AM »
I would have the Tropicana Girls & some strippers do the judging. That way, guys would know what the hotties want. The end. :D
a

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 11:42:49 AM »
I would have the Tropicana Girls & some strippers do the judging. That way, guys would know what the hotties want. The end. :D

universe is forever. until the Prince of Chork comes for his pork.