Author Topic: Canis Panther  (Read 8306 times)

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
Canis Panther
« on: September 14, 2007, 08:33:43 PM »
It looks like a thicker Doberman. Any of you heard about this breed before?

is this even a breed? just a cross breed

Origin: The Canis Panther was created in the 1970s in the United States. The men in charge of the breed’s development were Mr. Cleotha “Scorpio” Jones, Mr. Michael Stratten, and Mr. Lucas Lopez. Contributors to the breed include the Black Labrador, the Black Great Dane, the Doberman Pinscher, and the Staffordshire Terrier. Bloodlines for the Canis Panther have been established, and today the Canis Panther breeds true.

http://dogbreedinfo.com/canispanther.htm
http://www.canispanther.com/

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Canis Panther
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 08:56:18 AM »
wowow...

looks like a tank with legs  :o

seconds until flower adds one of those to her zoo: 6... 5... 4...

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 09:04:17 AM »
I didn't even realize that cross breed/"Breed" existed anymore.  I thought they went extinct in the 1990's with the death of the F2's that bred true. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 09:05:10 AM »
looks more like a GD to me

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 09:17:00 AM »
looks more like a GD to me

My understandign with these are they are sort of like the Lab/Rott hybrids that appeared in the early 1980s.  They never gained breed recognition by any major organization, but the cross did breed true. 

I've never seen one and I've never known anyone who had one.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 10:14:44 AM »
It's funny you said that....

we had a guy the other week that sweared our Rottie was from a Lab/Rottie Mix because his Head/Muzzle is pretty damn big.  Most Rotties have what I call a triangular appearance for a head.  Big broad forehead....narrow...tam pering muzzle.

Nope....we replied..he's just a big Rottie.

We also had someone ask us if he was crossbred with a Mastiff.   ::)

Most people are just shocked to see a Rottie that looks like him.  Honestly, when ever I look at pictures of Rotties (like in a calendar) they look small & weird looking compared to ours.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 02:20:05 PM »

we had a guy the other week that sweared our Rottie was from a Lab/Rottie Mix because his Head/Muzzle is pretty damn big.  Most Rotties have what I call a triangular appearance for a head.  Big broad forehead....narrow...tam pering muzzle.

Most people are just shocked to see a Rottie that looks like him.  Honestly, when ever I look at pictures of Rotties (like in a calendar) they look small & weird looking compared to ours.

You need to post some good pics Knny!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 03:18:15 PM »
You need to post some good pics Knny!

we've been wanting to get some recent "stacked" pictures done of him

Bastygone

• Getbig II
  • my wang
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 04:33:21 PM »
We?

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 04:50:49 PM »
we've been wanting to get some recent "stacked" pictures done of him

Stacked?  Is he on dbol?

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2007, 06:13:01 PM »
no   ::)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2007, 06:14:17 PM »

Is he a European or an American Bloodline.  To me the Rotts coming from Germany look very different from some of hte American Rotties.  And there is quite a bit of variability from one American kennel to the other. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 06:17:47 PM »
Is he a European or an American Bloodline.  To me the Rotts coming from Germany look very different from some of hte American Rotties.  And there is quite a bit of variability from one American kennel to the other. 

His mother has mostly American lineage.  His father has both American & German.

I used to raise labs...& never saw the differences in that breed (or most breeds) than I do with Rotties. 

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 06:34:06 PM »
His mother has mostly American lineage.  His father has both American & German.

I used to raise labs...& never saw the differences in that breed (or most breeds) than I do with Rotties. 

You must of raised labs a while back.  I've actually gotten pretty disgusted with laborador breeders.   My old lab was a big boned, big bodied hunt trial type dog.  He weighed right at ~90-92 lbs.  Those kind of dogs were pretty common when I was a kid in the 1970s and 80s, but when I got him in the late 1990's I waited almost 2 years to find the right dog.  I've been looking for another lab since he died, over a year ago, and still haven't found the one I like, but I've found a few big ones... very few.... They have gotten so small its almost amazing.  I had one breeder tell me she was never producing a lab that weighed over 50 lbs anymore because landlords draw the line at 50 lb dogs and she wanted to be able to sell her puppies.    ::)   

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 10:02:27 AM »
You must of raised labs a while back.  I've actually gotten pretty disgusted with laborador breeders.   My old lab was a big boned, big bodied hunt trial type dog.  He weighed right at ~90-92 lbs.  Those kind of dogs were pretty common when I was a kid in the 1970s and 80s, but when I got him in the late 1990's I waited almost 2 years to find the right dog.  I've been looking for another lab since he died, over a year ago, and still haven't found the one I like, but I've found a few big ones... very few.... They have gotten so small its almost amazing.  I had one breeder tell me she was never producing a lab that weighed over 50 lbs anymore because landlords draw the line at 50 lb dogs and she wanted to be able to sell her puppies.    ::)   

Yeah...my family was doing this between 1975-1980.  Our male "Joe" was just a little over a 100 pounder at his biggest.  Big head...big shoulders....big paws...big tail.  Easily between 27.5 - 28" tall at the shoulder.  He normally weighed in the mid 90's...but one time at the vet he was over 100.  When people saw him....all of the puppies were sold practically before they were born.  All of his puppies were big dogs.  His one son "Duke" (second litter..pick of the littler) matched him in size & he was sold to a family friend so I got to see him often.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2007, 04:34:45 AM »
That looks like a cross between a great dane and a doberman.  Do the ears get cropped that short?

:)