Author Topic: Differences between Dorian Yates' Blood and Guts and Mentzer's Heavy Duty?  (Read 4738 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
I know that Dorian first learned his Blood and Guts style from Mike Menzter but later modifed it. What exactly differentiates Dorian's Style from Mentzer's Heavy Duty?
I hate the State.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
Re: Differences between Dorian Yates' Blood and Guts and Mentzer's Heavy Duty?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 05:10:46 PM »
I know that Dorian first learned his Blood and Guts style from Mike Menzter but later modifed it. What exactly differentiates Dorian's Style from Mentzer's Heavy Duty?

well...mentzer had different versions of his heavy duty program.

but in general mentzer had even lower volume than yates and lower frequency.

in the early 80s he talked about 3 days per week, but later he lowered frequency to every 4th or even once a week and lowered volume even more.

menzter also used some superset combos...yates was never into that.

yates used more exercises than mentzer too.

the funny thing is that when mentzer (before he went totally crazy 84 or so) was serious about training he never trained less than 3 days per week...

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 04:50:34 AM »
Yates said in an interview that -" In the perfect world you only need one working set per exercise/week. Well, the world ain't perfect so I do two."

Armstrong

• Getbig III
  • Victor got screwed.
Yates said in an interview that -" In the perfect world you only need one working set per exercise/week. Well, the world ain't perfect so I do two."

One set?  I guess once your already Mr. Olympia you can do one set.  But what about the rest of us who dont have 35 inch quads.
Everything is BIGGER in Texas!!!

Rydawg

• Getbig I
I've read books by both of them. Yates talks about using one "work set" in which you go to failure, but in reality he did three total sets per exercise (two warm-up and one work set). Yates also favored free weight exercises more than those done on machines.

Mentzer's style was that you did some warm ups before you began your actual sets and that you only do one set to failure, per exercise. Although he used a lot of freeweight exercises, he was a big fan of machine exercises, especially Nautilus machines.

Mentzer also talked about pre-exhausting a muscle group. Take for example a chest workout. Mentzer said that you should pre-exhaust your chest by beginning with flies and then immediately move on to pressing movements. The idea behind this is that during bench presses, your triceps will reach failure before your chest muscles, unless the chest muscles are already more fatigued than the triceps. From what I remember, Dorain liked to begin his workouts with heavier, compound movements like presses.

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
've read books by both of them. Yates talks about using one "work set" in which you go to failure, but in reality he did three total sets per exercise (two warm-up and one work set). Yates also favored free weight exercises more than those done on machines.
Yes of course he'd warmed up first. But one all out maximum set was the goal. Director of B&G wanted an another take on bb rows, guess what Yates had replied? "Naa, you'll film it again next week." He didn't want any bullshit to that tape!

I believe he started out with heavy free weight basic stuff and went more towards machines with his injuries?

Rydawg

• Getbig I
I believe he started out with heavy free weight basic stuff and went more towards machines with his injuries?

Yeah, he did have to modify this routine because of all of his injuries. I know that he had to change from barbell squats to smith squats because of a hip problem and that he also switched to the Hammer Strenth flat bench machine, instead of flat bench presses with the barbell.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
dorian recommended both free weights and machines. after his retirement he has been using mostly machines tho...because of his injuries. so for upper body pressing movements he is using only machines. he still does db flyes tho.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 07:43:43 AM »
yates version was more for the real world, builds real slabs of muscle too, most of the uk lads base there training around what he was doing... people get the wrong idea of one set training, its just building up to one all out set, most people are doin it with out realising it

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 07:54:31 AM »
yates version was more for the real world, builds real slabs of muscle too, most of the uk lads base there training around what he was doing... people get the wrong idea of one set training, its just building up to one all out set, most people are doin it with out realising it

exactly. pyramid weight up to one final top set. most pros do it.

street

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 01:22:13 AM »
So when yates was pyrimiding up and doing three  work sets and then later 2 work sets per excercise this would make him one of the highest volume trainers around.Then by the time he got down to 1 set he was just training at a normal volume ,same as everybody else.

Yates was  high volume trainer?