Author Topic: Would you do whatever it takes?  (Read 2288 times)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
Would you do whatever it takes?
« on: September 15, 2007, 05:50:58 PM »
This is a question that any competitive person out there asks themselves. Because here is the truth, if you want to be THE BEST then you are going to have to do as the best. If you want to be Mr. Olympia you will have to gear up. If you want to be a champion powerlifter its the same. If you are going to win Worlds Strongest Man you will either need an extreme genetic gift (like Samuelson) or hit the juice like Marius.

So is it ethical to use such performance enhancers. Should you do it because everyone else does and its the "standard?"

I personally have never used but considered it many times. Never very seriously. I think there is a purity to Strongman and thats a big reason I compete. But there is always that thought of "do I want to be the best and will I do whatever it takes?"

Discuss.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: Would you do whatever it takes?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 06:03:47 PM »
This is a question that any competitive person out there asks themselves. Because here is the truth, if you want to be THE BEST then you are going to have to do as the best. If you want to be Mr. Olympia you will have to gear up. If you want to be a champion powerlifter its the same. If you are going to win Worlds Strongest Man you will either need an extreme genetic gift (like Samuelson) or hit the juice like Marius.

So is it ethical to use such performance enhancers. Should you do it because everyone else does and its the "standard?"

I personally have never used but considered it many times. Never very seriously. I think there is a purity to Strongman and thats a big reason I compete. But there is always that thought of "do I want to be the best and will I do whatever it takes?"

Discuss.

I'm a powerlifter, for me the issue is the others I'm competing against, but my numberone competition is myself.  I think powerlifting should be such that the drug free compete against other tested/ drug free, however drug free have the option to compete in "Open" meets if they choose to do so.  I do not think drugged athletes should have that option.   I personally don't juice because of my job.  However I do compete in nontested meets.  Why?  Because I'm out there to be the absolute best I can be.  This means lifting the most weight for my class.  If the only meet around for 6 months is not drug tested, I don't care.   It should be drug tested vs drug tested or drugged vs drugged with the option for clean individuals to compete against the drugged if they choose to do so. 

I sort of look at the equipment in powerlifting the same way.  I typically only use single ply poly or denim (for my bench shirt) or I compete raw.  I see nothing wrong with a multi-plye/canvas/briefed out squat as long as every lifter in that class has the same option for use of gear.  They can then choose what they want to and do not want to use for gear. 

Now if there was a ton of money involved, like a million dollar contract or some such, I'd consider other means of performance enhancement.  Its just for me, the outcome doesn't have enough benefit.  I love my current job, I don't have legal problems and I don't want to lose that job or have to deal with lawyers and arrests.  Its not worth it.     

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 06:24:50 PM »

Discuss.

I chose to compete in a tested federation, and I'm not gonna try break those rules. Never been an option.

Instead, I'll support every effort done to catch those who tries to cheat in my federation. Also, I always thinks it's good when sports with anti-doping policies catches cheaters. It levels the playing field for those who play by the rules.

JMO.

BTW, I know of a few world class powerlifters who I definitely believe are clean. Which shows it's possible to get to that level without enhancers.

At least those who use should have the decency to compete in non-tested feds, I gather. That's why I think Ed Coan and the Russians are worth zero respect while guys who never been to the tested feds deserves cred for playing by the rules.

A guy like Mimnaugh also deserves cred, only competed in a tested fed when he actually was eligible.

As empty as paradise

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 07:20:31 PM »
I totally agree with both replies.

Hedge, there are those people who can do it naturally but should that close the door on other who maybe just dont have the same hormonal balance? My view is that they should be separated (tested and non) but the problem is that the drugged will always do better and that is all that counts to many people. Yes, we do these things for ourselves and to better ourselves but wouldnt you like to be at the VERY top one day? The only way to be the guy with the biggest squat in the world is to have the absolute biggest squat. Not just the biggest natural squat.

Im well aware that this is not the case for us but if you knew you could be the best if you just took these enhancers....would you? And if you believe its possible but you dont take them, does that say anything about your true belief in yourself? Will you one day regret that you didnt take the chance to be best or will you say "eh, I could have done it if I really wanted to."

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 03:06:18 AM »

Discuss.
i am one of those people who did whatever it took,and i do not regret anything.the only reason i stopped what i was doing is because of the career i wanted.so i have been clean for over two years.

bench

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 10:02:18 AM »
i am one of those people who did whatever it took,and i do not regret anything.the only reason i stopped what i was doing is because of the career i wanted.so i have been clean for over two years.

bench

That is the only reason I dont do "whatever it takes." I would like to be a firefighter and most places require a 5-10 year separation between application and drug use. They polygraph so its hard to lie about it. As far as drug test I wouldnt be too concerned as long as I had time to "clean out", its the polygraph.

Its a very difficult decision for those who even care to think about it. Most just get it and dont look back. I would not actually use for at least a couple more years but it already weighs on my mind.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 04:49:41 PM »
That is the only reason I dont do "whatever it takes." I would like to be a firefighter and most places require a 5-10 year separation between application and drug use. They polygraph so its hard to lie about it. As far as drug test I wouldnt be too concerned as long as I had time to "clean out", its the polygraph.

Its a very difficult decision for those who even care to think about it. Most just get it and dont look back. I would not actually use for at least a couple more years but it already weighs on my mind.
polygraphs are bullshit,i failed mine on shit that i honestly answered and the chief said "who gives a fuck,these things aren't admissible in court anyway"  ;D

not trying to change your mind or anything,but i really hate polygraphs.

as a person who has been thrue a very similar situation,just stay clean.it will be easier and cheaper.

bench

Puller

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 06:14:27 PM »
I think everyone already does what they need to to be the best they can be. There are those who dont juice but spend $400 a month on legal supps like test boosters and sh#t, for what? to say they are natural? I agree that there should be meets for those who want to complete "naturally" but the best in the world is still the best. In my opinion, Pudz is still the best strongman ever and coleman is one of the best BBer, regardless of the gear. If others want to be better they need to do what it takes. And remember - a bottle never lifted a pound.

That's my little meltdown

:)

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 05:34:50 PM »
While I lifted to do the best I could, using roids was never an issue with me because quite frankly I didn't care that much! I just enjoyed the sport.  There's no million dollar contracts, they were just starting to have a few money meets but still I saw no reason to lift any other way but clean.
Masters- 50-54
148#

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 12:16:55 PM »
While I lifted to do the best I could, using roids was never an issue with me because quite frankly I didn't care that much! I just enjoyed the sport.  There's no million dollar contracts, they were just starting to have a few money meets but still I saw no reason to lift any other way but clean.

This is interesting. You could really take your statement two ways. One being that you just didnt care enough to be "the greatest" for one reason or another (possibly due to a great satisfaction in other areas of your life?). And two, you may see taking AAS as greedy because some may be doing it for the money involved nowadays (which sometimes is significant) rather than to be a role model or represent their country in competition.

For whatever reason someone chooses not to use ("its unnatural", or "cheating", or "its illegal"...) there are as many reasons to do it. I believe that either way you go you can still be respected as long as you do it for the right reasons. That is another can of worms all together though!

Thanks for the input!