Author Topic: the mental game  (Read 2015 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
the mental game
« on: September 17, 2007, 09:16:50 AM »
when you guys are going for a big lift or a new pr...how do you get into the mental game? How do you get the shakes out and get your head out of your own damn way? My squats with 500 or higher kill me...how do you prep your head for what you know your body can do?

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: the mental game
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 10:31:48 AM »
when you guys are going for a big lift or a new pr...how do you get into the mental game? How do you get the shakes out and get your head out of your own damn way? My squats with 500 or higher kill me...how do you prep your head for what you know your body can do?

this sounds silly, but I don't think.    I just do it.    If I think, I'll psych myself out. 

Nose torque helps quite a bit if I'm thinking about thinking. 

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 10:37:28 AM »
this sounds silly, but I don't think.    I just do it.    If I think, I'll psych myself out. 

Nose torque helps quite a bit if I'm thinking about thinking. 

I almost bought some of that shit...good stuff?!

Something about standing under 10 plates freaks me out...and it shouldn't becasue it's not that much heavier than what i've worked with and i've squatted 585 easily for a double.. but 8 reps or hell my goal of 10 reps with 500lbs on squats makes me shakey! And we have gym nazi's....we can't get loud and get psyched up or we'll disturbed the abducter animals in machine section...

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 11:35:59 AM »
how do you prep your head for what you know your body can do?

You just answered your own question. I shout at the "voices" to leave me alone, then I mentally yell at myself that I CAN do this, I fill my mind with rage.

Troy Nash
757 RAW SQUAT
925 GEARED SQUAT
sept 10th APF

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 12:07:58 PM »
NEVER let failure enter your mind! think to yourself how EASY the lift is going to be!

Ammonia caps and a good smack on the back will get your mind right.

Get fired up, work yourself up and destroy the weights.

Adrenalin is more powerful than many people think...

8)

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 04:24:10 PM »
Ammo caps can definately help if your already in your groove and just need a nudge.

I talk to myself (in my head, haha). I look at the weight but dont actually acknowledge the fact that it is more than the last lift. Something like this: "What is that? A couple more pounds? Bring it on! The last one went up crazy fast so this one is coming up NO PROBLEM!" I then get angry and approach the weight like its a 225lb warmup, warm up my traps, and blow it straight off the rack!

As far as for max reps it some of the same but with much more "What?! You cant do it pussy?! Move your ass!"

I imagine this is much the same as other people do?

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 06:05:26 PM »
Ammo caps can definately help if your already in your groove and just need a nudge.

I talk to myself (in my head, haha). I look at the weight but dont actually acknowledge the fact that it is more than the last lift. Something like this: "What is that? A couple more pounds? Bring it on! The last one went up crazy fast so this one is coming up NO PROBLEM!" I then get angry and approach the weight like its a 225lb warmup, warm up my traps, and blow it straight off the rack!

I always lecture the weights when I'm done.  It must be funny as hell to see me do it---alot of like what Scott Cartwright has been taped doing  at various contests----you know shake my finger at the weight, tell it to fuck off.  Stupid shit.   But it gets it into my mind that I can do that weight again and again and again.   I literally went tourretsian after I had my hernia surgery the first time I pulled 500 again.   My wife still laughs at my tirade.