Author Topic: dumbbell overhead extensions  (Read 3918 times)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
Re: dumbbell overhead extensions
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2007, 08:37:00 AM »
Ya, another good reason to brace your back against a pad with a flat surface on it to rest the DB before using it.
thats how i do them.

i just got done with a tri's bi's workout, and i did these...

i warmed up with the 80
moveed to the 90 for another warm up
then did three working sets with the 100 for about 8-10 reps per set.

like i said...no way sf could do the 130's.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2007, 08:56:58 AM »
thats how i do them.

i warmed up with the 80

lets see your picture. :D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2007, 09:41:14 AM »
thats how i do them.

i warmed up with the 80

even if he's not shredded..dave's still a big dude. And anyone who lifts on the regular shouldn't have any problem doing a two handed over head dumbbell movement with that kinda weight.

speaking of which... did you try your deads after your squats the other day SF?!

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2007, 10:55:15 AM »
This is a good movement to get caught up in the weight but that only leads to shoulder and elbow problems.  Focus on the muscle contracting and 90 lbs can feel like 150.  If you get to the point where you can do 150 lb DB with ease (in terms of contracting the muscle, not moving the weight) then load up an EZ bar like JPM said.  Lee Priest used to go up to 200 lbs with these but now look at his elbow problems.  I doubt he goes above 140-150 these days, if that.
Squishy face retard

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2007, 01:01:06 PM »
If the reps are kept moderate or high, the amount of weight's irrelevant and won't cause problems if coupled with a good warmup.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2007, 01:17:01 PM »
even if he's not shredded..dave's still a big dude. And anyone who lifts on the regular shouldn't have any problem doing a two handed over head dumbbell movement with that kinda weight.

speaking of which... did you try your deads after your squats the other day SF?!
yeah i did, got a double with 550 from mid shin, it's a pain in the ass because we have a shitty rack on which the holes don't start until almost two feet off the floor so i had to stand on 3 45 pound plates to get the right starting position.

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2007, 04:24:56 PM »
I've heard that over heads  the best  exerise to hit the tris. I've given up on them b/c there a pian to get up to to your shoulder when you train alone.. I've seen when back to the sull crunchers.  you lift it. 

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2007, 04:59:12 PM »
i did them today after inclines and close grips, didnt go very heavy - just a lot of reps.  It is awkward-i wouldnt try to max out on this lift-injury waiting to happen.  It does really hit the triceps though, good exercise for long head triceps along with skull crushers.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2007, 05:48:36 PM »
I've heard that over heads  the best  exerise to hit the tris. I've given up on them b/c there a pian to get up to to your shoulder when you train alone.. I've seen when back to the sull crunchers.  you lift it. 
i did them today after inclines and close grips, didnt go very heavy - just a lot of reps.  It is awkward-i wouldnt try to max out on this lift-injury waiting to happen.  It does really hit the triceps though, good exercise for long head triceps along with skull crushers.
This is where using a more moderate weight for better and slower reps.  Stick to 90-100 lbs, do 10-12 reps and make them slow and focus on the contraction.  You should be able to kick that heavy of a DB into place.
Squishy face retard

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2007, 08:31:21 AM »
Would MR 550 for Doubles care to produce a video of that lift. He seems to be so caught up in others producing a truth detector, than he should lead by visual example. Setting his own high standard for the rest of us to follow. And not a pic of the reflection of the Philsbury Doughboy wearing a skirt.

If MR 550 for Doubles would invest in some heavy planks for better footing and adjustment he would not have to use those 45's. Or he could place a few planks on the floor,under the BB to be lifted, to raise it to the height he wanted. Most PR's I have seen have the pin settings (holes) start about a foot to a foot and a half from the bottom postion. No reason to start any lower.

If MR 550 for Doubles would ever visit a heavy duty gym he may get an idea of how to use lifting equipment the correct way.  Good Luck.
F

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2007, 08:53:45 AM »
Would MR 550 for Doubles care to produce a video of that lift. He seems to be so caught up in others producing a truth detector, than he should lead by visual example. Setting his own high standard for the rest of us to follow. And not a pic of the reflection of the Philsbury Doughboy wearing a skirt.

If MR 550 for Doubles would invest in some heavy planks for better footing and adjustment he would not have to use those 45's. Or he could place a few planks on the floor,under the BB to be lifted, to raise it to the height he wanted. Most PR's I have seen have the pin settings (holes) start about a foot to a foot and a half from the bottom postion. No reason to start any lower.

If MR 550 for Doubles would ever visit a heavy duty gym he may get an idea of how to use lifting equipment the correct way.  Good Luck.
hahahahhaa, you're obsessed with me pusssy ;D when are you going to post your picture? :D

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2007, 08:57:08 AM »
yeah i did, got a double with 550 from mid shin, it's a pain in the ass because we have a shitty rack on which the holes don't start until almost two feet off the floor so i had to stand on 3 45 pound plates to get the right starting position.

you like it better? or you sticking with what you were doing before instead?

yeah I hafta stand on one of those support board plastic things which, everytime I pick up anything heavy, i'm scared is going to collapse from under me.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2007, 09:00:02 AM »
you like it better? or you sticking with what you were doing before instead?

yeah I hafta stand on one of those support board plastic things which, everytime I pick up anything heavy, i'm scared is going to collapse from under me.
yeah i'm gonna stick with that for awhile and see how it goes, lower back felt good and warmed up by the squats, it's been about 6 months since i pulled anything serious as far as deadlfits go, i had been sticking with barbell rows.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2007, 04:00:14 PM »
thats how i do them.

i warmed up with the 80

Why are you impersonating the real "candidate"?  I outed you on the Mr Getbig Board.  I am not going to let you get away with this shit and enter the MGB as a troll. >:(

P.S. Squadfather's right arm has more muscle mass than your entire body, troll boy.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2007, 04:01:47 PM »
Why are you impersonating the real "candidate"?  I outed you on the Mr Getbig Board.  I am not going to let you get away with this shit and enter the MGB as a troll. >:(

P.S. Squadfather's right arm has more muscle mass than your entire body, troll boy.
hahahhaa, he claimed he did reps on overhead extensions one time with a 120 pound bell with these arms. ;D

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2007, 04:06:55 PM »
hahahhaa, he claimed he did reps on overhead extensions one time with a 120 pound bell with these arms. ;D

120 grams maybe ;D

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2007, 04:08:15 PM »
I can do a 110 lber for 10 so I believe SF doing 130 lbs.
Squishy face retard

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2007, 04:09:55 PM »
I can do a 110 lber for 10 so I believe SF doing 130 lbs.

that's damn good cap, most of the time i do close grip benches, lying extensions and pushdowns but every once in a while i'll do overheads as a change, not kidding Cap that's awesome, very rarely see guys using a 110 for that type of rep range.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2007, 04:18:30 PM »
that's damn good cap, most of the time i do close grip benches, lying extensions and pushdowns but every once in a while i'll do overheads as a change, not kidding Cap that's awesome, very rarely see guys using a 110 for that type of rep range.
Thanks man.  I took a while off of them doing the same as you, except dips instead of presses, but I am back to them again.
Squishy face retard

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: September 21, 2007, 05:24:55 PM »
I think i could put up some heavy poundages on those if i started my workout with them, but by the time i get to dumbbell extensions ive done close grip bench and inclines-my triceps are already pretty fried. I just recently started doing them though after reading this shitty thread  ;D

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2007, 05:48:16 PM »
I think i could put up some heavy poundages on those if i started my workout with them, but by the time i get to dumbbell extensions ive done close grip bench and inclines-my triceps are already pretty fried. I just recently started doing them though after reading this shitty thread  ;D
Give it a try.  The body will always adapt.  I do mine after having done seated BB presses and weighted dips.  It is really beneficial as many have stated.  Like Pumpster has said, the long head is really the meat of the tricep complex and frankly the most underdeveloped IMO.  I see many guys curling or doing pressdowns and it looks like their long head is not existent.
Squishy face retard

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2007, 06:40:30 PM »
ill go heavier every week, one issue with me is always rotator cuff safety-im not going to be an asshole and try to do 150's and rip something in my shoulder.  Ill see how much i can do after doing them a few weeks increasing every time. I havent done them ince i was 18, and just started doing them again after reading this shitty thread  ;D

2big4u

• Getbig II
« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2007, 06:43:31 PM »
overhead db exts are a great tricep builder,throw in skull crushers and narrow grips,and you got a great routine.throw the kickbacks in the trash they suck.

Cap

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2007, 09:19:07 PM »
ill go heavier every week, one issue with me is always rotator cuff safety-im not going to be an asshole and try to do 150's and rip something in my shoulder.  Ill see how much i can do after doing them a few weeks increasing every time. I havent done them ince i was 18, and just started doing them again after reading this shitty thread  ;D
I have a similar problem.  Be careful with the cuff injury and use less weight with more reps.  I'd even do overhead cable extensions if you have a serious problem.
Squishy face retard