Author Topic: Mccnabe says black qb's critasized more  (Read 5555 times)

body88

Mccnabe says black qb's critasized more
« on: September 18, 2007, 08:02:31 AM »
Haha ok Mccnabe. How do you explain the second horrible performance you have had this season last night? Must be the racists casuing you to overthrow balls and miss open guys. His point about Manning is ludacris. Manning has been HOUNDED for years about his terrible playoff performances.

African-American quarterbacks face more pressure and more criticism than their white counterparts, Philadelphia Eagles QB Donovan McNabb says in an interview scheduled to air on HBO on Tuesday night.

McNabb
McNabb, in an interview on "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel," tells interviewer James Brown that African-American quarterbacks such as himself face added pressure because there are fewer black QBs -- and because some still don't want black athletes playing the position.

"There's not that many African-American quarterbacks, so we have to do a little bit extra," McNabb tells HBO. "Because the percentage of us playing this position, which people didn't want us to play ... is low, so we do a little extra."

Later in the interview, Brown presses McNabb on criticism of his performance -- and if African-American QBs are graded more harshly.

"I pass for 300 yards, our team wins by seven, [mimicking] 'Ah, he could've made this throw, they would have scored if he did this,' " McNabb tells HBO.

"Doesn't every quarterback go through that?" Brown asks.

"Not everybody," McNabb replies.

Brown then asks if the media is tougher on him than on white quarterbacks such as Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning.

"Let me start by saying I love those guys," McNabb tells HBO. "But they don't get criticized as much as we do. They don't."

In the interview, McNabb also talks to Brown about playing in Philadelphia, a city known for passionate sports fans who aren't afraid to criticize the city's pro athletes.

"Every year I'm part of some criticism," McNabb tells HBO. "But every day that we go through life, you're faced with a lot of adversity. Now the answer is how do you handle the adversity. How do you respond?

"I try to handle myself with class. I try to handle myself with dignity. I think sometimes people look to players to act out, speak loudly, pretty much be an idiot. But that's not me."

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Re: Mccnabe says black qb's critasized more
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 11:15:33 AM »

Regardless of his claims, his performance so far this season has been piss-poor.

If Philly had a better option, he'd already be on the bench.

The window of opportunity for Reid and the Eagles was slammed shut when they got rid of T.O.  This team will not win a Super Bowl with McNabb at the helm. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 11:32:27 AM »
McNabb is done... He only plays 60% of the time due to injury, and when he does play, it's never that great.

Jeff Garcia should be the #1 guy in Philadelphia, but Reid was swinging on McNabb's nutsack and would never trade his boy... So Garcia goes where he can do some good.

Screw Reid, and McNabb.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2007, 11:40:25 AM »
He has nobody to throw to and he can't scramble as he once did. I  don't know why they didn't or don't try and bring in guys to catch the ball. Their defense is all banged up (wk 2 ::) and they let Trotter go. I think Reid has more problems to worry about just now anyway.
L

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 11:41:38 AM »
He has nobody to throw to and he can't scramble as he once did. I  don't know why they didn't or don't try and bring in guys to catch the ball. Their defense is all banged up (wk 2 ::) and they let Trotter go. I think Reid has more problems to worry about just now anyway.

Brian Westbrook is easily the best thing in Philadelphia.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 12:26:50 PM »
He's the only guy Mcnabb has any faith in, and he plays catch and run better then taking the hand-off. Another sub-par NFC team.
L

body88

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 12:38:08 PM »
Brian Westbrook is easily the best thing in Philadelphia.

Scary fast

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 12:56:25 PM »
Hey Mcnabb,  remember when your fat, lazy, unconditioned, black ass was puking before plays during the final drive of the super bowl??  Try getting in shape and winning the super bowl and THEN talk about how much criticsm u receive. Seemed to work well for manning, young, elway...

body88

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 12:58:11 PM »
I think black qbs get more leway. A lot of people dont want to say anything in fear of being called a racist.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 01:03:57 PM »
I think black qbs get more leway. A lot of people dont want to say anything in fear of being called a racist.

i think all qb's get judged the same; you either lead your team to winning the super bowl or you get hounded for not doing so. unfair, but true.  Steve Young STILL doesn't get the credit he deserves just because he only won 1 super bowl, ie, you get judged by how much you win.  Brady isn't nearly as good as manning, but he's won more super bowls, therefore history will judge him more kindly, unless manning catches up.  Its the same story for all qb's.

body88

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 01:23:08 PM »
i think all qb's get judged the same; you either lead your team to winning the super bowl or you get hounded for not doing so. unfair, but true.  Steve Young STILL doesn't get the credit he deserves just because he only won 1 super bowl, ie, you get judged by how much you win.  Brady isn't nearly as good as manning, but he's won more super bowls, therefore history will judge him more kindly, unless manning catches up.  Its the same story for all qb's.

You can say "not as good" if that is your opinion, but to say not nearly as good is ludicrous. I would say 90 percent of qb analysts/coaches would disagree with the "not as good" comment, and 100 percent would disagree with the not nearly as good comment. Just last night jaws rated Brady higher then Manning. One of the few talking heads that watches a ton of film. Not to mention the Brady and Manning played in different offensive schemes up until this point. Manning's offense was so much more stacked than Bradys up until this year it not even funny. Brady had frekin Antwone Smith running the rock compared to Edrgin James with Manning. Reggie Wayne and Harrison compared to to Branch and Givens? Branch and Patten? Caldwell and Gaffney? Pats have had 3 sets of at best number 2 guys, to one set of hall of famers on the colts. Come on. Last year Brady passed for over 3500 yards to players like Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney (who?). Pats had a nice chunk of offensive injurys to boot last year. By years end they where actually playing well and put up big numbers in the playoffs. He has to form chemistry with those guys on the fly. They didnt even know the offense at first.

Brady finally has talent around him on offense like Manning has always had. Over the first two games vs better teams Brady's qb rating is over 130 while Manning's is at 100, Brady has 6 td's to Manning's 4 , both have one int , and they both have just about the same passing yards. I find Brady to Moss Welker Stallworth very impressive so far considering Moss didn't even play in the preseason and this is all there first year. While manning has been with his pro bowl guys since day one and they have never changed.

Not taking a thing away from Manning he is one of the greatest ever. Colts have always run a pass happy offense. While pats have not.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2007, 01:37:50 PM »
Nothing has changed for Manning..he's had the same coordinators and wide-outs pretty much his whole time. Brady has had a series of undersized receivers and Antwain Smith as his RB for two out of 3 SB's. I think he's due for a huge year. I'd like to see him beat out Manning for the TD's. Yards isn't a big deal I'd rather see the backs rush for over a grand each.
L

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 01:54:05 PM »
I can't believe people still throw around the race card in the NFL, an NFL in which there hasn't been a team that had a white majority in 15 years.  As for McNabb's case, I think the fans in PHilly particularily are the worst in sports so of course McNabb is going to feel the heat a lot more than Peyton, Brady, or Palmer, who are loved in their hometowns.  I'm not even sure though he could exactly quantify it all, unless he specifically wanted to listen to all the hundreds of sports talk shows, interenet sites, news broadcasts, sports channels, and so on and so on(in other words, a buncha grossly obese old white guys or fat washed up football players making their living talking about a damn game) and did a side by side analysis.  But it's just easier to play the race card, because once played, there is never an option or chance to discredit it.

And McNabb never did say who exactly doesn't want to see an african-american at the QB position.  I've yet to meet one, but yet, according to him, they are out there in droves.  Please drop a name.

Oh, last thought...didn't Rush Limbaugh get kicked off of ESPN for saying the exact OPPOSITE?

body88

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2007, 02:10:19 PM »
Nothing has changed for Manning..he's had the same coordinators and wide-outs pretty much his whole time. Brady has had a series of undersized receivers and Antwain Smith as his RB for two out of 3 SB's. I think he's due for a huge year. I'd like to see him beat out Manning for the TD's. Yards isn't a big deal I'd rather see the backs rush for over a grand each.

Manning is also the benifactor of an offensive line that allowed one sack every 19 drop backs last year. Best in the nfl. Manning is great, but those who ignore his offensive line and hof offensive weapons he has had for his whole career are nuts.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2007, 02:13:03 PM »
You can say "not as good" if that is your opinion, but to say not nearly as good is ludicrous. I would say 90 percent of qb analysts/coaches would disagree with the "not as good" comment, and 100 percent would disagree with the not nearly as good comment. Just last night jaws rated Brady higher then Manning. One of the few talking heads that watches a ton of film. Not to mention the Brady and Manning played in different offensive schemes up until this point. Manning's offense was so much more stacked than Bradys up until this year it not even funny. Brady had frekin Antwone Smith running the rock compared to Edrgin James with Manning. Reggie Wayne and Harrison compared to to Branch and Givens? Branch and Patten? Caldwell and Gaffney? Pats have had 3 sets of at best number 2 guys, to one set of hall of famers on the colts. Come on. Last year Brady passed for over 3500 yards to players like Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney (who?). Pats had a nice chunk of offensive injurys to boot last year. By years end they where actually playing well and put up big numbers in the playoffs. He has to form chemistry with those guys on the fly. They didnt even know the offense at first.

Brady finally has talent around him on offense like Manning has always had. Over the first two games vs better teams Brady's qb rating is over 130 while Manning's is at 100, Brady has 6 td's to Manning's 4 , both have one int , and they both have just about the same passing yards. I find Brady to Moss Welker Stallworth very impressive so far considering Moss didn't even play in the preseason and this is all there first year. While manning has been with his pro bowl guys since day one and they have never changed.

Not taking a thing away from Manning he is one of the greatest ever. Colts have always run a pass happy offense. While pats have not.

Dude, i love tom brady, i really do... but manning can pick apart a defense in ways that brady could never dream of, and with more of the cheating scandal coming to light, we will REALLY see how good brady is.  This cheating scandal is only just STARTING, its not over by a long shot.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2007, 02:13:48 PM »
Epic playing the race card, not winning the NFC title games, then failing to win the superbowl, despite the big money contract.

And to think, I thought he had class.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2007, 02:13:56 PM »
Manning is also the benifactor of an offensive line that allowed one sack every 19 drop backs last year. Best in the nfl. Manning is great, but those who ignore his offensive line and hof offensive weapons he has had for his whole career are nuts.

Dude, Aikman had the greatest O-line ever and he never put up numbers like Manning.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2007, 02:14:05 PM »
I agree with McNabb.

He would definitely be in a better position to give this critisism if he was on top, but from what I've seen in ovalball over the years, it's pretty accurate.

There is racism surrounding the QB position in the media.

And it's a disgrace.
As empty as paradise

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2007, 02:16:23 PM »
Blame whitey

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2007, 03:43:29 PM »

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2007, 05:11:35 PM »
I agree with McNabb.

He would definitely be in a better position to give this critisism if he was on top, but from what I've seen in ovalball over the years, it's pretty accurate.

And it's a disgrace.

There's such a hype usually surrounding a black qb.  they never live up to their hype (michael vick anyone?) and then the media comes down hard on them.  Granted vince young looks pretty good and randall cunningham could've been a hall of famer had his knees held up, but one has a long way to go and the other is a big IF.  Donovan is a pretty good qb, but he's also fat (yeah he's fat, look at most other successful qb's in the league and they are in much better shape... take garcia for example) and that hurts everything.  More weight on the knees= less likelyhood of healthy seasons, for mcnabb at least.  The media judges everyone fairly though, they've come down on little manning much harder than mcabb.  Race card bs is ridiculous and is a cop out for mental duress.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2007, 05:35:49 PM »
I always do.

damn white mofo cut me off

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2007, 06:44:24 PM »
I agree with McNabb.

And it's a disgrace.

Had a little too much Absolut, my friend? Blacks are protected if anything, whether in the media or in normal social circles.

youandme and knows what's up.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2007, 09:26:11 PM »
McNabb needs to shut up and play.

I'm a little irritated that he hasn't been throwing the ball to Kevin Curtis, who I started as a WR3 the past two weeks.  One of my sleepers this year.  Maybe he doesn't like throwing the rock to a white guy?  >:(

body88

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2007, 04:55:08 AM »
Dude, Aikman had the greatest O-line ever and he never put up numbers like Manning.

If you are going to try to sit there and tell me having a offensive line that only allows one sack every 20 drop backs, one set of pro bowl and hall of fame caliber receivers over your entire career, a hall of fame running back, all pro caliber tight ends, and the same genius offensive coordinator since you came into the game is not going to help a very talented qb I don't even wanna argue with ya about it. Over the first two games Brady has had some actual time to throw, and some pretty nice weapons to throw to now. Vs better teams Brady has the better numbers. Bradys qb rating is over 30 pts higher, he has more tds and is equal in all other stats. What throws can manning make Brady can't? Watching both guys this year Brady is much cooler/calm in the pocket.

What irks me about Manning is the fact he has never really had to deal with real adversity. Always had the same players coaches and support system. They have always given him EVERYTHING he needed to succeed. Also people ignore all the weapons he has always had. Ignore his terrible playoff play. Last year he almost cost his team the sb again. When all the pressure was square on him in the KC and Baltimore games, he played terrible. Look at the numbers. Fact is lousy play on both opponents parts, and his d stepping up bailed him out. He didn't throw a td pass in the ravens game! His defense gave him a chance to play well vs NE and also da bears. He did play well in the NE game.

Like I said I think Manning is one of the greatest ever, but I don't agree he is "way better" then Brady. I don't know anyone who says that but only the most delusional colts homer ( not talking about you) Most all qb coaches and or analysts have Manning 1a and Brady 1b right now. Some still have Brady 1a. In a big game I take Tom every day of the week.