Author Topic: Squats and Milk  (Read 8850 times)

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
Re: Squats and Milk
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2007, 03:27:45 PM »
This is the old Randy Strossen(of Ironmind fame) "Super Squats" program that is partial based on Joe Hise's methods.

As was mentioned most people actually see far more fat gain, than strength and size gain using it:(. It does have value though in that it does get you use to squatting.

The 20 rep squat routine is pretty pointless the way many HITers do it.  They warm up with light sets then end with the 20 repper set.  I'd take 5 sets of 10 at a semi-heavy weight over 1 set of 20 any day.

boonstack

• Getbig IV
  • watch out ladies... chaos is on the prowl
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2007, 03:32:19 PM »
I've read up on a lot of articles and one that got my attention was the squats and milk article, a program so brutal but simple it puts mass on quick smart, it involves 20 rep squats and more and a gallon of milk a day for the programs duration, People have gained in between 12 - 40 lbs so it sounds sweet, I know some of this will be fat but different people get different rates

I started this program yesterday  and drank my 4 litres of milk over the day but mostly through the night and I had to go to the toilet many times, most of the milk basically went through me without being processed.

Is it suggested that I eat plenty of solid foods because that day I only ate noodles and fruit, all high in water content, also to make it easier should I drink the milk in portions through the day like a 333 ml every hour or should I just drop the gallon of milk down to like 2 - 3 liters a day instead

any suggestions or help would be appreciated

cause I'm keen on finishing this 6 week cycle

let me let u in on a little secret bitchwood, you can only expect to gain about 5 lbs of muscle in 7 months IF perfect conditions, and obviously if ur a beginner. so yea, "some" of the gain will be fat

boonstack

• Getbig IV
  • watch out ladies... chaos is on the prowl
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2007, 03:33:26 PM »
hahahhaa, epic fat gains.
''

i take it you dont follow this program----- so, whats your excuse, good lookin?  ::)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2007, 03:34:52 PM »
You guys are confusing what Paul Anderson did and Randall Strossen's book about the high rep squat routine.  

Anderson often drank milk during his workouts and all day long.  He drank lots and lots of milk, but that was not the only high calorie "food" of choice for him.  He had some other rather radical dietary habits which escape my mind at the moment.

Strossen recommends a lot of milk and high rep squats.  You will get bigger and stronger if you follow the program and are not already an advanced bodybuilder.  You will gain some body fat, but if you only follow the program for 30 days or so you will not gain excessive amounts of body fat.

Chris
not really, Paul Anderson was not a very big eater according to people who knew him but yes he did drink A LOT of milk.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2007, 03:37:14 PM »
Personally, I'm far more of a fan of the old Bill Starr 5 x 5 stuff, that was a nice well rounded program.

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2007, 03:52:29 PM »
Personally, I'm far more of a fan of the old Bill Starr 5 x 5 stuff, that was a nice well rounded program.

Starr > Favre.

HTH.
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

bb doc

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2007, 04:10:17 PM »
Main point Strossen emphasized though was to, paraphrasing:

"Take a weight you can do 10 reps with. Now do 20. No, I'm not kidding. Doesnt matter if you have to rest 1 minute twn reps 19 + 20 - Just Do Twenty Reps."

I did this as a teenager, and it taught me how to REALLY train hard on squats.

Doing 20 reps like this is a million times harder than doing 5 reps.

OP - I dont remember how much I gained, but it was signficant. It was a great 30d regimen that made me a much better + stronger squatter.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2007, 04:42:46 PM »
I don't believe Anderson drank a gallon of milk during workouts.  It's just not physiologically possible, I don't think, because of how, and how slowly, the body breaks down casein protein.  Now, if anderson did one-rep sets, that's another story.  but if he was doing high rep squats that really taxed his system, no fucking way.  I think this is just one of those myths about a legend of weightlifting.
he did not do high-rep squat workouts he only did like 2-3 reps at a time. but his workouts would last for many hours. he would do a couple superheavy squats then rest and sip on milk then do a few more and so on for several hours.
he ended up drinking so much milk per day. he only ate 3 normal meals a day. this is based on all ive read about him

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2007, 04:47:49 PM »
They are brutal and definitely can work.  If you drink that much milk and vary the whole food protein sources, you should do okay.  The idea behind this workout came from an Old Myth, Greek I believe.  Cool stuff.
Squishy face retard

chris_mason

• Getbig IV
  • Owner AtLarge Nutrition
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2007, 07:02:07 PM »
not really, Paul Anderson was not a very big eater according to people who knew him but yes he did drink A LOT of milk.

Please don't argue with me... I have the guy's own book that HE wrote. 
w

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2007, 07:05:20 PM »
he did not do high-rep squat workouts he only did like 2-3 reps at a time. but his workouts would last for many hours. he would do a couple superheavy squats then rest and sip on milk then do a few more and so on for several hours.
he ended up drinking so much milk per day. he only ate 3 normal meals a day. this is based on all ive read about him

Ah, ok, well that changes things a bit.  If he did low rep sets that were spaced out over time, I can see drinking milk during workouts.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2007, 08:48:34 PM »

Big Worm

• Getbig IV
  • Really ? You finished turd my flend? Maricon..
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2007, 08:55:00 PM »
hahahhaa, epic fat gains.
Epic knowing from experince.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2007, 09:05:48 PM »
Interesting stuff on Anderson's routine: http://www.naturalstrength.com/features/detail2.asp?ArticleID=306

Thanks for the link.  I had read this a while back and it was nice to give it another read.  I've always been a fan of Anderson--in my book, the strongest man in human history, all things being equal.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2007, 09:08:23 AM »
You guys are confusing what Paul Anderson did and Randall Strossen's book about the high rep squat routine.  

Anderson often drank milk during his workouts and all day long.  He drank lots and lots of milk, but that was not the only high calorie "food" of choice for him.  He had some other rather radical dietary habits which escape my mind at the moment.

Strossen recommends a lot of milk and high rep squats.  You will get bigger and stronger if you follow the program and are not already an advanced bodybuilder.  You will gain some body fat, but if you only follow the program for 30 days or so you will not gain excessive amounts of body fat.

Chris

chris

can you post any references to anderson drinking milk during workouts. i know this is a side issue but this is exactly the type of misinformation that causes young lifters to do some stupid stuff. drinking milk within an hour before a max intensity set of 20 rep squats sounds like a bad idea to me.

from what i've read from anderson himself, he ate gelatine during workouts.

biceps

• Getbig III
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2007, 12:32:33 PM »
I've read up on a lot of articles and one that got my attention was the squats and milk article, a program so brutal but simple it puts mass on quick smart, it involves 20 rep squats and more and a gallon of milk a day for the programs duration, People have gained in between 12 - 40 lbs so it sounds sweet, I know some of this will be fat but different people get different rates

I started this program yesterday  and drank my 4 litres of milk over the day but mostly through the night and I had to go to the toilet many times, most of the milk basically went through me without being processed.

Is it suggested that I eat plenty of solid foods because that day I only ate noodles and fruit, all high in water content, also to make it easier should I drink the milk in portions through the day like a 333 ml every hour or should I just drop the gallon of milk down to like 2 - 3 liters a day instead

any suggestions or help would be appreciated

cause I'm keen on finishing this 6 week cycle

Back in the late 60`s and 70`s I was drinking 2 liters Milk per day 1/2 liter immediately after workout,
the Milk has to be fresh non pasteurised, other wise will give you the runs. If you don't have access to fresh Milk take with the Milk probiotic capsules.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2007, 12:47:04 PM »
Back in the late 60`s and 70`s I was drinking 2 liters Milk per day 1/2 liter immediately after workout,
the Milk has to be fresh non pasteurised, other wise will give you the runs. If you don't have access to fresh Milk take with the Milk probiotic capsules.

Interesting, I hadn't heard that before.  Is it because the pasteurization kills the natural enzymes or whatever in the milk that make it more digestible by humans?

Captain Slin

• Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2007, 12:55:02 PM »
Mike Mentzer did this as a teenager actually.

he drank gallons and gallons of milk and said he out grew his entire wardrobe. He said luckily his parents told him he cant drink as much milk and they were tired of getting him new clothes because he said he got soo fat he didnt even look like he worked out really lol or something to that effect.

troponin

• Getbig III
  • www.troponinnutrition.com
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2007, 01:14:18 PM »
The 'crisco and couch' program is more effective.

I'd bet that you can put on as much as 60lbs in a month....

Simple too....
just eat a tub of crisco a day (or store brand lard, just as effective) in addition to your normal meals.
Focus hard on leaving the couch as LITTLE as possible each day. 

Some people have shortened the name to "C n C" program.  I still call it the "crisco and couch" though.

www.trueprotein.com
Troponin Nutritio

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2007, 01:16:28 PM »
The 'crisco and couch' program is more effective.

I'd bet that you can put on as much as 60lbs in a month....

Simple too....
just eat a tub of crisco a day (or store brand lard, just as effective) in addition to your normal meals.
Focus hard on leaving the couch as LITTLE as possible each day. 

Some people have shortened the name to "C n C" program.  I still call it the "crisco and couch" though.

lol, isn't this how "onlyme" built up to the 500 lbs of quality body mass he has right now?

biceps

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2007, 02:04:38 PM »
Interesting, I hadn't heard that before.  Is it because the pasteurization kills the natural enzymes or whatever in the milk that make it more digestible by humans?

Yes , even people with lactose intolerance will have no problem with fresh milk

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2007, 02:10:50 PM »
Yes , even people with lactose intolerance will have no problem with fresh milk

What's the risk factor in drinking unpasteurized milk?  Is it overrated like the risk factor in eating raw eggs?

biceps

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2007, 02:36:42 PM »
What's the risk factor in drinking unpasteurized milk?  Is it overrated like the risk factor in eating raw eggs?

No risk factor, what is important that the containers use for transporting the milk has to be sterilized, even if you not drinking the fresh milk in time will bi no problem, the milk will turn in yogurt. The unpasteurized milk has all the good bacteria and culture.