Author Topic: 'God' responds to legislator's lawsuit  (Read 977 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
'God' responds to legislator's lawsuit
« on: September 21, 2007, 11:23:35 AM »
Crazy nonbelievers.   :)

'God' responds to legislator's lawsuit
Senator who sued God gets response; "God" says Nebraska lacks jurisdiction

LINCOLN, Nebraska (AP) -- A legislator who filed a lawsuit against God has gotten something he might not have expected: a response.

State Sen. Ernie Chambers of Omaha said he sued God last week to make a point about frivolous lawsuits.

One of two court filings from "God" came Wednesday under otherworldly circumstances, according to John Friend, clerk of the Douglas County District Court in Omaha.

"This one miraculously appeared on the counter. It just all of a sudden was here -- poof!" Friend said.

State Sen. Ernie Chambers of Omaha sued God last week, seeking a permanent injunction against the Almighty for making terroristic threats, inspiring fear and causing "widespread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth's inhabitants."

Chambers, a self-proclaimed agnostic who often criticizes Christians, said his filing was triggered by a federal lawsuit he considers frivolous. He said he's trying to make the point that anybody can sue anybody.

Not so, says "God." His response argues that the defendant is immune from some earthly laws and the court lacks jurisdiction.

It adds that blaming God for human oppression and suffering misses an important point.

"I created man and woman with free will and next to the promise of immortal life, free will is my greatest gift to you," according to the response, as read by Friend.

There was no contact information on the filing, although St. Michael the Archangel is listed as a witness, Friend said.

A second response from "God" disputing Chambers' allegations lists a phone number for a Corpus Christi law office. A message left for that office was not immediately returned Thursday.

Attempts to reach Chambers by phone and at his Capitol office Thursday were unsuccessful.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/20/suing.god.ap/index.html

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Re: 'God' responds to legislator's lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 01:08:10 PM »
I saw that on one of the blogs I read.   :P

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 05:18:06 PM »

unlike agnostics, deists appear 2 have a sense of humor.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 05:22:54 PM »

Atheists rock.

Who pays God's legal bills?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 12:54:50 PM »
unlike agnostics, deists appear 2 have a sense of humor.

True.   :)  Agnostics and atheists can be quite dull. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 07:29:36 PM »
Suit against God tossed over lack of address
Judge rules the Almighty wasn't properly served due to unlisted address

updated 9:59 a.m. HT, Wed., Oct. 15, 2008
LINCOLN, Neb. - A judge has thrown out a Nebraska legislator's lawsuit against God, saying the Almighty wasn't properly served, because of his unlisted home address. State Sen. Ernie Chambers filed the lawsuit last year seeking a permanent injunction against God.

He said God has made terroristic threats against the senator and his constituents in Omaha, inspired fear and caused "widespread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth's inhabitants."

Chambers has said he filed the lawsuit to make the point that everyone should have access to the courts regardless of whether they are rich or poor.

On Tuesday, however, Douglas County District Court Judge Marlon Polk ruled that under state law a plaintiff must have access to the defendant for a lawsuit to move forward.

"Given that this court finds that there can never be service effectuated on the named defendant this action will be dismissed with prejudice," Polk wrote.

Hole in the judge's ruling?
Chambers, who graduated from law school but never took the bar exam, thinks he's found a hole in the judge's ruling.

"The court itself acknowledges the existence of God," Chambers said Wednesday. "A consequence of that acknowledgment is a recognition of God's omniscience."

Therefore, Chambers said, "Since God knows everything, God has notice of this lawsuit."

Chambers has 30 days to decide whether to appeal. He said he hasn't decided yet.

Chambers, who has served a record 38 years in the Nebraska Legislature, is not returning next year because of term limits. He skips morning prayers during the legislative session and often criticizes Christians.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27201871/from/ET/