Author Topic: Tough Industry Talk with Malibu Barbie  (Read 26972 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Tough Industry Talk with Malibu Barbie
« on: September 24, 2007, 07:52:03 AM »
God, I hope Malibu never goes after me like this - I'd hate to have to defend myself against a 6-point attack!   ;)

In defense of FigureRx, I've met Stephen and some members of their team and in addition to providing competitor sponsorships, they also help to coordinate paid photo gigs for their athletes.  Even if you personally are not a fan of pose-for-pay work (former P4S), these gigs are a viable source of income for the physique models.  It's inaccurate to say that the producers are the only ones profiting from this type of work. 

They promote their athletes in other ways and are welcome to speak on that, if they'd like.

That said, I am somewhat surprised to see you attack the magazine industry, Malibu.  When a female physique model does a magazine shoot, she knows the deal - unless she is paid for that appearance by one of her sponsors, then it's up to her to paylay that 'exposure' into cash (assuming that getting paid is the goal). 

I don't know what you expect from J.M.'s FMG.  He started his management company several years ago and has recruited several of the top competitors.  But J.M. also represents several women who are good, though not necessarily at the top. 

I've been saying for years now that anyone else who wants to can start a competitor management company.  I know that some of the so-called 'gurus' operate in that capacity, but so far, no one - aside from JC Lopez - has had an interest in getting into physique athlete management. 

Why?

BECAUSE THERE'S NO MONEY IN IT.  If it were worthwhile, believe me, everyone and his brother would be jumping over themselves to get into athlete management. 

You raise a valid question about the IFBB's tax-exempt status.  I'm not convinced that this 'Canadian registered non-profit' is operating without earning a profit here in the U.S.  All I know for certain is that a lot of the language on the IFBB's own website has changed quite a bit in the last couple of years.  Things that make ya go hmm....

Regarding substance use, my position is that I don't believe that certain things should be illegal.  I think that the lobbyists should continue pushing to have them legalized, but in the meantime, those who DO continue to use have to know that they're doing so at their own risk (of getting caught).  In other words, I have no problem with 'use', in general, but those who break existing laws - no matter how unjust - have to be prepared to accept the consequences.

If Suzie Muscles uses substance-X to achieve her outstanding conditioning for the Olympia, I'm ok with that.  I'm interested in the limits of human physique development and not that interested in how they get that way.

Barbie, I wholeheartedly agree with your statement that no single competitor - regardless of her title(s) - has an obligation to be an ambassador for the sport.  If she chooses to do so in her spare time or in conjunction with her normal life, that's fine, but it's not at all reasonable to expect her to set aside real life in order to do that.  It would be nice if the Olympia champions all enjoyed a 6-figure income from the industry, but that's just not the reality. 

The paysites serve a vital function in the industry, which is why you keep seeing new ones pop up practically every month.  Fans want to see their favorites more than once a month, so the electronic media are a more viable option than the print media these days.  Moreover, the paysites generally pay the women who model for them (if a model chooses to do a shoot for free, that's on her), money which can represent the difference between 3 shows and 4 shows for a competitor.  And if a competitor does 4 shows instead of 3, that's more money for the promoters.

Every deal is different, but a popular model can generally set a very high price for her services and if she's smart, then she makes sure that she, too, has the right to sell the content shot by the photographer.  If I were an athlete manager, this is a condition I would insist upon. 

Lastly, he can defend himself, but Stephen of FigureRx hardly seems self-serving when compared to me or *gasp* to someone like JC Lopez/Marc Thyssen.  I don't know his entire plan, but what I've seen so far has impressed me and even if you do not like what he's said in his contest previews, you've got to admit that a lot of work has gone into writing them. 

If you look around the industry, most people don't care enough about the pinnacle event in IFBB Figure to do so.  Attack his specific opinions if you want, but be mindful of the context, and don't attack the man for giving a crap about something most of those profiting from this industry do not.   

Steven,
There is controversial and then there is rude, disrespectful and dumb and you don't even have the ca hones to own up to having been the latter. Not that I wish to offend anyone in any way.  :) If you truly believed the figure and fitness competitors deserve to be treated like top athletes in the world why rudely spout off stupid stuff about the reining Ms. O and then make dumbsh#t assumptions about last years runner up. What they don't fit into your *all* athletes category ???.

Since you (Great White Hope Investment Banker) expect that any Olympia winner should put personal interests aside and work for the benefit of the sport, are you personally going to be compensating them accordingly to do so (say to the tune of $100K or higher). Ya, I doubt it.  ::) Competitors (including Olympia winners) don't owe Johnie Come Lately web portal operators like you, smoe photographers, potential elusive sponsors or the rip off magazine industry jack sh#t. Maybe if more women on the Olympia stage realized this they might start to demand their worth for a change. Maybe, but I doubt it, competitors might start to realize all the personal and important interests they have set aside and sacrificed to stand on a stage so that others can gain money off of their doing so isn't the way to go. Respecting all aspects of their life might be. Maybe it might occur to them they are selling off some of the most valuable things in life for cheap.

As to this being a silly industry......:
1. Well, of course there is the ever looming dark cloud of JM Management or Fitness Management Group or whatever it's called. At best this is an unbecoming impropriety that casts doubts on fairness in judging. At worst this is a conflict of interest for a non profit and a law suit waiting to happen. (What you think Denny? You are a big shot lawyer. Can you see $ signs before you eyes.)
2. Let's see. Oh, yeah what mainstream publicity have we had this year? The Craig and Kelly saga.
3. Then there is the reality that probably every one of the women on that stage has done or is currently doing something that is or has been extremely unhealthy to their body. Most if not all on that stage are probably taking some type of substance that is not FDA approved. Yes, even your Green Goddess herself is probably juicing more than weatgrass.
4. The fact that Olympia Men make what now $100,000 prize money and Olympia Women make $20,000 or so and few question this....especially the women because if they did they would not have a chance in hell of winning. Oh, ya and now they have a responsibility to put aside their personal lives and play Ambassador for the sport.
5. Knowing that there are women in the industry who pay planefair, hotel fees, hundreds of dollars for costume changes to be photographed by some guy (sometimes creeps) who rarely pay them anything is, well, silly. These guys generally get profits from their smoe websites that rarely benefit the women. If the photographer is lucky he can sell his shots to a magazine and profit further, rarely if ever do the women.
6. Last but not least is the realization that there are multitudes of women who will flock to your site and believe any spiel from any guy would claim to be the "investment banker" looking out for their best interest and offering potential sponsorship. I hope I am wrong, but I have to agree with Denny you seem like another self serving impostor. (a smooth talking slick one I must say.)

Denny Crane

• Getbig II
  • I also date midgets.
Re: Tough Industry Talk with Malibu Barbie
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 07:59:03 AM »
Barbie is the sexiest woman on earth. Next to Dina. Unless of course you go for preggos, in which case, it's Christine.

Tre, Here's a tip my friend. Never, ever talk about anything to do with taxes. Makes you boring. Second, it's political. You gotta figure half the people are against you.
Denny Crane. Denny Crane.

siouxcountry

• Getbig IV
  • Team Ripitupbaby!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 04:25:12 PM »
Who is Malibu Barbie? I do not see any competitor stars under her title.

I think FigureRX is doing a fine job!

marc_thyssen

• Getbig II
  • DJ & Photographer
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 04:55:13 PM »

Here, Here!

Great work Stephen :)
myspace.com/marc_thyssen

Malibu Barbie

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 06:24:03 PM »

Ya, what's with that! Where's my stars, dang it!!!!  :'( I have been bitching about that for years now. They told me if I keep posting I will get more, tis, tis, but to no avail. I would think it would be based on writing about content and relevance to the subject matter on the boards rather than just my ability to diet, stand in stripper shoes (aka drag queen shoes) and poise in a rhinestone studded bathingsuit. Dam, what's a girl gotta do? ??? Denny don't touch that one.....well, go ahead. I am intrigued by a man that knows how to handle his gun.

siouxcountry

• Getbig IV
  • Team Ripitupbaby!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 06:47:59 PM »
 ::)

Ya, what's with that! Where's my stars, dang it!!!!  :'( I have been bitching about that for years now. They told me if I keep posting I will get more, tis, tis, but to no avail. I would think it would be based on writing about content and relevance to the subject matter on the boards rather than just my ability to diet, stand in stripper shoes (aka drag queen shoes) and poise in a rhinestone studded bathingsuit. Dam, what's a girl gotta do? ??? Denny don't touch that one.....well, go ahead. I am intrigued by a man that knows how to handle his gun.

marc_thyssen

• Getbig II
  • DJ & Photographer
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 07:02:43 PM »

Nice work Dina, i mean Barbie

myspace.com/marc_thyssen

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 07:26:36 PM »
Nice work Dina, i mean Barbie
I don't know Barbie but can assure you she's not Dina.

Barbie you and Tre sound like you two need to get together. Marc - don't get too jealous.

Elevate Your Image.™

marc_thyssen

• Getbig II
  • DJ & Photographer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 07:43:43 PM »

Barbie you and Tre sound like you two need to get together. Marc - don't get too jealous.

As long as ur man enough 2 take some photography tips from me when i meet ya....i just had a look at ur myspace  ;)

i cant keep up with the fakes around here *yawn*
myspace.com/marc_thyssen

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 07:48:07 PM »
As long as ur man enough 2 take some photography tips from me when i meet ya....i just had a look at ur myspace  ;)

Pahlease, I'll put my photography skills against yours any day of the week.

If you want some training tips, I can provide you with those as well.

You're still new here, we don't expect much out of you.

Elevate Your Image.™

siouxcountry

• Getbig IV
  • Team Ripitupbaby!
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 08:00:45 PM »

Isaac does a fine job. Some of my favorite photos have been taken by Isaac.

Where can I find your work?

Malibu Barbie

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 08:03:39 PM »

Now, now Issac. Quit being such a bad boy. :( I don't think so. As I said Barbie only messes with the best. Besides, I'm still fumming at Tre for referring to be as "That Whore Barbie". Well, not enough to write a 6 point monologue. ;) The only one who gets away with that stuff is Ken late at night when were cuddling between the sheets. Well, Denny Crane might be able to too. In the words of my friend Paris......"he's Hot". :-*

marc_thyssen

• Getbig II
  • DJ & Photographer
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 08:03:52 PM »
Pahlease, I'll put my photography against yours any day of the week.

If you want some training tips, I can provide you with those as well.

You're still new here, we don't expect much out of you.

then please do your models a favour and invest in a reflector &/or a flll in flash.
many of ur photos are incorrectly exposed and are full of unflattering shadows

here are 3 examples from your myspace:

Unflattering shadows & exposure on all three.
For the 1st: A basic rule in photography states do not place a bright light behind your subject. Unflattering!
For the 2nd: You're almost there, but the shadow could easily be fixed by noting where the sun was placed or using a fill flash.
For the 3rd: The choice in exposure has made the models hair look like part of the tree.

If you'd like to match my work, feel free to take some examples from my myspace or this page here:
http://homepage.mac.com/marc_thyssen/PhotoAlbum1.html

You will only embarrass yourself & i dont even have a website.
Malibu, i always choose carefully who i shoot with, and it wont be u luv.

myspace.com/marc_thyssen

siouxcountry

• Getbig IV
  • Team Ripitupbaby!
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 08:21:12 PM »
Marc you are an absolutely horrible photographer!

Calm down I am just joking!  ;D I like your work too!

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2007, 08:27:13 PM »
Now, now Issac. Quit being such a bad boy. :( I don't think so. As I said Barbie only messes with the best. Besides, I'm still fumming at Tre for referring to me as "That Whore Barbie". Well, not enough to write a 6 point monologue. ;) The only one who gets away with that stuff is Ken late at night when were cuddling between the sheets. Well, Denny Crane might be able to too. In the words of my friend Paris......"he's Hot". :-*

You remember that???   :-[

You know that, not only do I love you, Barbie...but I also respect you, too. 

I just needed to figure out who you were, that was all.  ;) 

Rick Lohre

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2007, 08:29:51 PM »
OK, so I think this is at least a little funny....

So I claim not to be a Robert Reiff or Conor Mongan...but at least if you post photos for coaching purpose of Mr. Lift, then at least make the first one an awesome example.  I too have fallen prey to many a photography faux-pa, and I'm sure you could find many faults with my work.  Just do me this favor, look at this image and see if you disagree....

-Sorry, but your first image, Blown completely out at the top of the frame and lacks focus.  (Remember your rule #1...I could be wrong but where's the main light source here.  The halo effect around her arm and head are totally inconsistent with the rest of the exposure.
-The model, while positioned in a very interesting pose, is cut off at the arm.

(I'm not going to say anything about the color, because it's either one of two things 1. Contest color is giving this girl her Sunkist Orange glow or 2. My monitor is not calibrated)

While I don't claim to be a photographic GOD, let's at least agree on this...you too are not.  However, I do like some of your work.  

BTW, I see you've shot with Jelena, she is really a fantastic model, not to mention a really nice person.  You are very lucky to have shot with her.

Rick Lohre

PS - Don't take this as a personal attack as it is not intended that way.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2007, 08:31:33 PM »
Terrible shots of great models:

Dina

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2007, 08:37:20 PM »
i think we need a photography forum...lol

Barbie is not me... I love her to death and anyone who knows me knows I say what I want under my real name... no hiding... plus I got a pic of me n Barbie n Isaac somewhere.... hmm maybe I cloned myself

marc_thyssen

• Getbig II
  • DJ & Photographer
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2007, 08:38:32 PM »
Rick, after looking ar your folio http://www.lohrecreative.com/Portfolio.html
Talk about taking the piss, you're a total hipocrit. You've cut off arms and legs everywhere! Not just tips of elbows like me.

In addition, you practically have the SAME POSE in EVERY SHOT. BORING! Maybe you should call yourself Rick Lohre Creative?
Tanya had the contest colour on bc she competed at NPC USA's the night before, not much i can do about that.

Another example from the same shoot:

If there is a fix for that, id like to know. With sunset light it shows more, but the tip of an elbow isnt much to cut off in my mind.
Yes, I doubt Jelena Abbou would shoot with you might i add.

Tre, FYI that second pic of Tara Caballero made Inside Sport magazine & the 3rd made FHM Oz. So I think the editors would disagree. And i've seen your work, girls clamour to shoot with you right?
Yours arent even worth the effort of posting

::)

Dina its nice to know ur listening  ;)
myspace.com/marc_thyssen

Rick Lohre

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2007, 08:57:25 PM »
You've got a major chip on your shoulder and it shows man.  Like I said, I've got nothing against you...but you're not making it easy to get along with you man.  And "taking the piss" must be a Down Under thing.  I'm not into that whatever it means.

As far as the photos...While yes, I have a very limited folio out for view - I make no claims to Lift or anyone else that they are welcome to peruse and learn from it.  I'll be honest, I have been meaning to go through my folio folder on my computer, but really haven't had the time.  I'll let you know when I get a full folio online ;)

BTW...what about your rule #1?

I'm not sure what you're referring to with the "Rick Lohre Creative" man, but if it was a jab, it went completely over my head. 

While I didn't mean that you were "lucky" that she shot with you.  I was simply trying to say, good job, or something nice since she is really one of the most successful models in the industry.  Not that "Gee Billy, I wish I could shoot with her..."  But hey, I've never asked her....but glad you speak for her. 

Dina, I like your idea.  Maybe a neat add to the Ladies area.  We'd have to dedicate a "Sticky" just for Dina Pics though!

Rick

Conor

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 08:59:49 PM »
If there is a fix for that, id like to know.

Isolate the skin with masks, then use channel mixers and/or desaturate certain colors (reds, in this case).

Rick Lohre

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 09:03:09 PM »
See now there's an intelligent response! 
Or you could go the cheapie cop out way and just B&W it!!!!

marc_thyssen

• Getbig II
  • DJ & Photographer
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 09:03:15 PM »

oopss, my bad mate! Sorry rick, dont mind the Aussie slang.

I didnt read your last line:
PS - Don't take this as a personal attack as it is not intended that way.

So used to this forum being a playground, you know! lol
If you're at the Olympia, look out for the guy who wears the same t-shirt colours as Gene....(that will be me..lol)

Conor, i try not to use Photoshop to make my photos better, i prefer them untouched
But sure that would be the best way, post-processing...now where thats CS3 manual!

;)
myspace.com/marc_thyssen

Rick Lohre

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2007, 09:04:49 PM »
Nah, its awrighhht - Just a Peice of Piss....

Worked with some Aussies in Hong Kong and that's one phrase I never got my head around.  So I asked them what the F&*^% does Peice of Piss mean (easy task).  I figured it slang, but thought I'd try to be a real smart ass...

marc_thyssen

• Getbig II
  • DJ & Photographer
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2007, 09:07:56 PM »
Nah, its awrighhht - Just a Peice of Piss....

Worked with some Aussies in Hong Kong and that's one phrase I never got my head around.  So I asked them what the F&*^% does Peice of Piss mean.  I figured it slang, but thought I'd try to be a real smart ass...

what about this one i shouted out when it was hard to open a tap in the kitchen....and my roomies laughed

"Mate, its as tight as a nun's"

;D
myspace.com/marc_thyssen