Author Topic: The Tyranny of NAD+, or Where'd My Dessert Go?  (Read 1352 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
The Tyranny of NAD+, or Where'd My Dessert Go?
« on: September 24, 2007, 08:06:24 PM »

The Tyranny of NAD+, or Where'd My Dessert Go?

More evidence has just been published showing how reducing the caloric intake of cells influences their survival. Anyone want to take a guess as to what happens when a living organism (eukaryotes only, please) is subjected to noshing only on insultingly small morsels of food? Such asceticism of course is an outrage to those of us who follow the modern method of nutritional ingestion.

Again, the question: What happens when eukaryotic cells are subjected to nutrient restriction?

A. Cell survival is promoted by a reduction in apoptosis.
B. Cell survival is impaired by the genotoxic effects of fasting.
C. Cell survival is neither improved nor reduced.
D. No one knows because the post-doc fellow accidently set the lab on fire while trying to heat up his lunch.

The answer is "A." I know you got it right - you're smart, not like what everybody says.

The paper was just published by Yang and colleagues in the scientific journal Cell, in a collaboration between four different institutions. What they found is that mitochondria exposed to stress and nutrient restriction can still maintain adequate levels of the important coenzyme NAD+, and that rats fasted for 48 hours can increase production of mitochondrial NAD+ by activating the gene that can increase production of NAD+. It goes by the delightfully sesquipedalian name nicotinamide phosphoribosyltransferas e, or NAMPT. It may be the most important anti-aging gene in the eukaryotic cell, not to mention us humans. But don't just take my word for it -- here's a quotation from a recent Journal of Biological Chemistry article on NAMPT:

In contrast, introducing the Nampt gene into ageing human SMCs [smooth muscle cells] delayed senescence and substantially lengthened cell lifespan, together with enhanced resistance to oxidative stress...These data indicate that Nampt is a longevity gene [my italics] that can add stress-resistant life to human SMCs...
Dr. Yang and his fellow authors summarize these very interesting findings, which are detailed with mine-eyes-glaze-over detail in their paper, as follows:

We hope that these insights into the importance of mitochondrial NAD+ will facilitate a new understanding of and the development of novel approaches to treating diseases such as cancer and neurodegeneration.
Now we're getting somewhere. Reducing the calorie intake of a mammal may delay the aging process and protect against such devastating age-related illnesses such as cancer and Alzheimer's disease. How do we report this in such a way as to not offend those Americans who are addicted to eating more than their body requires? That's easy:

"New Clue To Why Eating Fewer Calories Can Help You Live Longer"
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/83268.php

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
Re: The Tyranny of NAD+, or Where'd My Dessert Go?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 08:09:01 PM »
Epic copy paste.. anyway, I invite you to post up some new pics for the viewing pleaure of getbig on the "SNEAK PREVIEW OF Mr GETBIG" thread  :)
follow the arrows

The Coach

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 08:09:38 PM »
This pertains to bodybuilding how?

warchild

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 08:12:55 PM »
Great copy and paste skills TA

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 08:16:51 PM »

TA, why no Mr. getbig this year?
are you delusional?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 08:16:59 PM »
This pertains to bodybuilding how?
Calorie restriction shown to boost longevity and slow loss of muscle mass in animal experiment
Monday, July 10, 2006 by: NewsTarget
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(NewsTarget) A study recently published in the Journal of Gerontology: Biological Sciences suggests that eating less may help people stay strong even in old age.
Scientists from the University of Calgary found that rats fed a nutritious, calorie-restricted diet maintained their muscle mass much better than rats that ate a normal amount of food. "It's the equivalent of an 80-year-old rat with the muscles of a 20-year-old rat," said Russ Hepple, a physiologist at the University of Calgary.

Although it is well-documented that a low calorie diet increases life expectancy, this is the first study showing a connection between diet and strength. In Hepple's experiment, rats that consumed a low calorie diet lost only 20 percent of their muscle mass as they aged, with no loss of muscle function. Rats fed a normal diet lost 50 percent of their strength and 50 percent of their muscle function as they aged.

Researchers are still trying to understand how a low calorie diet preserves muscles. Experiments performed so far seem to show that cutting calories helps the mitochondria function better, which improves the rats ability to rebuild and replace cells as they age. Hepple's next study will focus on antioxidants, exercise and gene therapy to see how these areas affect muscle maintenance.

While cutting calories by 40 percent showed significant improvement in the study rats, Hepple does not recommend such severe calorie restriction for the average person. He encourages people to eat a healthy diet and stay active throughout their lives.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 08:19:40 PM »
TA, why no Mr. getbig this year?
Whateva should be required to defend the title.

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 08:22:25 PM »
Whateva should be required to defend the title.

Damn.... guess what? ....... i agree with you on this one!
are you delusional?

The Coach

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 08:24:43 PM »
Calorie restriction shown to boost longevity and slow loss of muscle mass in animal experiment

(NewsTarget) A study recently published in the Journal of Gerontology: Biological Sciences suggests that eating less may help people stay strong even in old age.
Scientists from the University of Calgary found that rats fed a nutritious, calorie-restricted diet maintained their muscle mass much better than rats that ate a normal amount of food. "It's the equivalent of an 80-year-old rat with the muscles of a 20-year-old rat," said Russ Hepple, a physiologist at the University of Calgary.

Although it is well-documented that a low calorie diet increases life expectancy, this is the first study showing a connection between diet and strength. In Hepple's experiment, rats that consumed a low calorie diet lost only 20 percent of their muscle mass as they aged, with no loss of muscle function. Rats fed a normal diet lost 50 percent of their strength and 50 percent of their muscle function as they aged.

Researchers are still trying to understand how a low calorie diet preserves muscles. Experiments performed so far seem to show that cutting calories helps the mitochondria function better, which improves the rats ability to rebuild and replace cells as they age. Hepple's next study will focus on antioxidants, exercise and gene therapy to see how these areas affect muscle maintenance.

While cutting calories by 40 percent showed significant improvement in the study rats, Hepple does not recommend such severe calorie restriction for the average person. He encourages people to eat a healthy diet and stay active throughout their lives.

Doesn't pertain to bodybuilding at all......bodybuilding is about macro-controlled intake, hitting a goal in a certain amount of time. before I started training for this show, I was calorie-controlled but only to keep lean, when I decided to finally do a show, I changed to macro-controlled for obvious reasons. I told you before and I'll tell you again, calorie controlled is great for the average fitness person who want to stay lean and "tone" up, but it by NO means works for bodybuilding....especial ly in the last weeks and days leading up to it.

Your study is nothing new, it's commonsense for people who know what they are doing.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2007, 08:27:47 PM »
is this an excuse to be frail?

sgt. d

• Getbig V
  • Don't tase me bro
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2007, 09:09:38 PM »
Adonis what happen to jizzabell?

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2007, 09:22:29 PM »
This isnt bullshit ive read about it as well... supernutrition and nourishment does increase the cell death rate .. or more prolongs the cell life. This i believe.

oldman

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2007, 10:44:08 PM »
is he referring to PopTarts, well I dropped frosted strawberry and cinnamin.  now what...

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2007, 11:47:10 PM »

How does this stack up with your claims of "you can eat whatever you want", and your bodybuilding diet of Oreos, Ben & Jerry's and pretzels?

As empty as paradise