Author Topic: What do you guys think is a better post workout?  (Read 7914 times)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
What do you guys think is a better post workout?
« on: September 25, 2007, 01:44:46 PM »
a lot of controversy about this lately, so what do you think, BCAA's, maltodextrin, whey protein, etc. or good old solid food like Ronnie does like chicken, rice, cornbread, etc?

Monster81

• Getbig IV
Re: POLL:WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK IS BETTER POST WORKOUT??????
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 01:48:42 PM »
u cant go wrong with a good quality solid food ,

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 01:49:36 PM »
probably good solid food...Sometimes I think protein drinks just pass through you.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 01:50:09 PM »
u cant go wrong with a good quality solid food ,
i agree but i like both approaches honestly, if it's been a long workout and it's been too long since i ate last i'll eat my solid food meal.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 01:51:43 PM »
asshole that just made my mouth water like nothing, still got 2.5 hrs before i can break the fast  >:(
follow the arrows

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 01:51:54 PM »
both!

heres my opinion=
amino acids 15 minutes prior to training...to send these straight into the muscle while you are working out. this goes along with milos idea of being able to be "hyperanabolic". there is some truth in that, i believe.
at the end of the workout 20-60 grams of a carb like dextrose or vitargo. amount depends on your metabolism. this replenishes muscle glycogen, preps body for uptake of what comes next.
immedietly after last set take in between 20-40 grams protein, between 5 to 10 grams creatine monohydrate, and between 5-10 grams of l-glutamine. all dosages are dependant on your metabolism, the size of the muscle group you just trained (for example...legs would require a larger dose than say biceps), and how intense of a workout you just completed.
45 mins to an hour later...take some fish oils, eat a large portion of protein, if you have a quick metabolism eat moderate amount of carbs, have soem veggies, and drink alot of water.

this is my opinion.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 01:53:02 PM »
I think waxy maze starch like vitargo is ok but its way too expensive.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 01:53:42 PM »
a lot of controversy about this lately, so what do you think, BCAA's, maltodextrin, whey protein, etc. or good old solid food like Ronnie does like chicken, rice, cornbread, etc?

Lets just say, you going to McDonalds then Taco Bell as a post workout activity is working great for you ::)

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 01:54:57 PM »
is there something keith?

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 01:55:20 PM »
haha candidate should work for a supplement company with all the tales he tells
L

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 01:56:09 PM »
is there something keith?
onlyme is just angry because yet another bed broke under his ponderous fat and he's sleeping on the floor again. :D

Monster81

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 01:59:06 PM »
onlyme is just angry because yet another bed broke under his ponderous fat and he's sleeping on the floor again. :D
lol

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 01:59:24 PM »
jaejonna. you dont think that getting nutrients into the blood stream while a huge portion of blood is still rushing into the recently damaged muscle is a good idea? if you wait to have solid food, and then have to wait for that solid food to digest...your looking at two, maybe three hours before the nutrients hit the blood stream. and even then its a slow and steady stream. by that time blood circulation is back to normal. you have an equal amount of nutrients flowing to all parts of the body.
wouldnt it be better for a quick recovery to send a bigstream of muscle repairing nutrients into the blood stream when a disproportionatley large amount of blood is heading into the part of your body where you need it most.

dont you think?

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 02:00:47 PM »
jaejonna. you dont think that getting nutrients into the blood stream while a huge portion of blood is still rushing into the recently damaged muscle is a good idea? if you wait to have solid food, and then have to wait for that solid food to digest...your looking at two, maybe three hours before the nutrients hit the blood stream. and even then its a slow and steady stream. by that time blood circulation is back to normal. you have an equal amount of nutrients flowing to all parts of the body.
wouldnt it be better for a quick recovery to send a bigstream of muscle repairing nutrients into the blood stream when a disproportionatley large amount of blood is heading into the part of your body where you need it most.

dont you think?
what makes you think that all the meals that you've eaten prior to your workout's amino's and protein aren't circulating in your body?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 02:02:40 PM »
what makes you think that all the meals that you've eaten prior to your workout's amino's and protein aren't circulating in your body?
exactly

Dballn247

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • That's how I roll.
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »
I like the shake right after my workout as it seems to have a higher absorbtion rate, then when I get home, shower and dick around for a bit.  I eat solid food for long lasting calories, then a shake again before bed.

Sometimes it's hard to choke down food after a hard squat of Deadlift workout.
\

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2007, 02:05:07 PM »
exactly
hahahahhaa these guys make it sound as if every morsel of the meal that you eat gets directly used by the muscle you just trained and nothing is left, hahahaha, if that's the way it worked you'd die after not eating for 6-7 hours. ::)

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2007, 02:11:19 PM »
Sometimes it's hard to choke down food after a hard squat of Deadlift workout.
That's a legitimate reason. I do shakes too when I can't eat.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 02:30:23 PM »

Solid food would be my vote.

Naked4Jesus

• Getbig IV
  • You can save a IFBB Pro today by donating a kidney
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 02:35:08 PM »

Offseason:  Steak, rice, apple pie
Precontest:  Steak, rice, T3, Clen

MoralMan

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 02:36:56 PM »
I have a scoop of protein shake in the gym straight after my last set, then i shower, drive home (20mins) cook a meal and then eat.

Naked4Jesus

• Getbig IV
  • You can save a IFBB Pro today by donating a kidney
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 02:39:03 PM »

That's what these queefs don't understand.  Frickin "Epic Window of Opportunity aka bracketing post workout hype"

Some real ways to grow:

1. Eat more
2. UP the dosage!
3. Combine 1 and 2

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 02:40:32 PM »
both!

heres my opinion=
amino acids 15 minutes prior to training...to send these straight into the muscle while you are working out. this goes along with milos idea of being able to be "hyperanabolic". there is some truth in that, i believe.
at the end of the workout 20-60 grams of a carb like dextrose or vitargo. amount depends on your metabolism. this replenishes muscle glycogen, preps body for uptake of what comes next.
immedietly after last set take in between 20-40 grams protein, between 5 to 10 grams creatine monohydrate, and between 5-10 grams of l-glutamine. all dosages are dependant on your metabolism, the size of the muscle group you just trained (for example...legs would require a larger dose than say biceps), and how intense of a workout you just completed.
45 mins to an hour later...take some fish oils, eat a large portion of protein, if you have a quick metabolism eat moderate amount of carbs, have soem veggies, and drink alot of water.

this is my opinion.

Judging by your physique alone, I'd never take your advice.

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 02:43:34 PM »
i agree but i like both approaches honestly, if it's been a long workout and it's been too long since i ate last i'll eat my solid food meal.

i like both. ill drink a med range protein shake...25mgs of prot, bcaas, etc on the way home. then ill cook dinner and eat it....usually within an hour to an hour and a half after the workout....

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2007, 02:44:02 PM »
People still drink PWO  shakes?

Epic Gullibilty