Author Topic: How will this showing/loss affect Ronnie's legacy?  (Read 3144 times)

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
How will this showing/loss affect Ronnie's legacy?
« on: September 28, 2007, 09:54:30 PM »
Will it not do anything?  Will it taint it?
IMO he still had the best physique to ever step foot on a stage but he also has the worst for a Mr. O to step on a stage.  Kinda like Brett Farve with the TD record and soon the interception record.

slayer

• Getbig IV
Re: How will this showing/loss affect Ronnie's legacy?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 09:57:06 PM »
like i said before 8-2 does not look as good as haneys 8-0 arnies 7-0 or dorians 6-0 15 yrs from now , when the younger generation is talking about the greats!
they will just bring up his 03 and 99 pics ''im sure hulkster will be sitting behind his pc with a camode under him and a batch of cookies trying to convince the kids ronnie is the best ;) :)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 09:58:10 PM »
I think he will become a monk and fade from public life...
I hate the State.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 10:00:08 PM »
In the immediate aftermath of him losing this year (if he loses), I'm sure it will affect his temporary legacy.  But fast forward ten or twenty years and all the drama of these past few hours will be completely forgotten.  what remains, though, is the 8 Sandows in a row and the fact that he dominated the bodybuilding world like no one else before him for almost a decade. 8)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 10:00:29 PM »
legacy? kind of tainted now, he comes across as greedy and he doesn't know when to quit. he could have taken a year off, gotten the problem fixed and come back, but nooooooooo, now we get what he has become :-[
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

slayer

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 10:01:36 PM »
In the immediate aftermath of him losing this year (if he loses), I'm sure it will affect his temporary legacy.  But fast forward ten or twenty years and all the drama of these past few hours will be completely forgotten.  what remains, though, is the 8 Sandows in a row and the fact that he dominated the bodybuilding world like no one else before him for almost a decade. 8)
I guess you missed haney's run, he never was even challenged for 8 yrs and could have easilly won a few more!

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2007, 10:03:56 PM »
I guess you missed haney's run, he never was even challenged for 8 yrs and could have easilly won a few more!

How many he "could" have won?  That's all speculation--just like it would be speculation to ask if Ronnie would have won #9 with the lat nerve damage, etc.  The Haney comparison is not on the same level.  Remember that Coleman had stiffer competition to contend against, on the whole...

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2007, 10:06:29 PM »

his legacy's fine.  when it comes to raising the bar, it's still Dorian, Ronnie, TBD. 

Also Ronnie had Flex and kevin to contend with.

slayer

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2007, 10:08:21 PM »
How many he "could" have won?  That's all speculation--just like it would be speculation to ask if Ronnie would have won #9 with the lat nerve damage, etc.  The Haney comparison is not on the same level.  Remember that Coleman had stiffer competition to contend against, on the whole...
haney had gaspari, ronnie had cutler,  gaspari at his best was more of a challenge then cutler at his peak!

haney still looked untouchable when he retired, ronnie stopped looking like that 3 yrs ago!

levrone had no legs, so was really never a threat, flex was a few yrs and bye!

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2007, 10:08:30 PM »
his legacy's fine.  when it comes to raising the bar, it's still Dorian, Ronnie, TBD. 

Also Ronnie had Flex and kevin to contend with.

agreed.

ronnie still set the bar far above dorian in the late 90's.

Jay has not set the bar above that standard set by ronnie, and never will.

his genetics will not allow it.

Flower Boy Ran Away

slayer

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 10:09:39 PM »
agreed.

ronnie still set the bar far above dorian in the late 90's.

Jay has not set the bar above that standard set by ronnie, and never will.

his genetics will not allow it.

now you have to worry about how high wolfe sets the bar,,,

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 10:09:51 PM »
I think it's like any athlete(for lack of a better word ;D) who stumbles near the end of their career, you rememeber the good before the bad. No one talks about Willie Mays falling in the outfield playing for the Mets,they talk about him as one of  the greatest outfielder ever.  The same with Ronnie, they'll remember 8  Sandows and the greatest physique of all time and the domination of an era

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 10:10:10 PM »
haney had gaspari, ronnie had cutler

Ronnie also had Nasser and many more.  I've never seen Cutler even as a true #2 contender.  Always confused me as to why the judges always put him neck and neck with Ronnie.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2007, 10:11:45 PM »

if wolfe can get some more lower back, he will be the man.

triple_pickle

• Getbig IV
  • Pull Hard, Move Fast
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2007, 10:40:58 PM »
haney had gaspari, ronnie had cutler,  gaspari at his best was more of a challenge then cutler at his peak!

haney still looked untouchable when he retired, ronnie stopped looking like that 3 yrs ago!

levrone had no legs, so was really never a threat, flex was a few yrs and bye!

at his best, ronnie was untouchable so there was no "competition" for him no matter how good the other guys were....

Old-Skool

• Getbig III
  • Back in the Day....
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2007, 10:43:39 PM »
Forget legacy...what about his immediate earning potential....hope he has lots of money put away.....

slayer

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2007, 10:44:10 PM »
at his best, ronnie was untouchable so there was no "competition" for him no matter how good the other guys were....
haney was always at his best and untouchable for 8 yrs, end of story!

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2007, 10:47:45 PM »

great post!
Flower Boy Ran Away

McFarland

• Getbig V
  • Tastes Like WINNING
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2007, 10:50:56 PM »

Well there's always his Unbelievable video.  Think about it, that thing might not ever be topped.  That thing redefined human ability and physical performance.     

Old-Skool

• Getbig III
  • Back in the Day....
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2007, 10:52:44 PM »
Will he give retirement speech onstage.....?

D.L. 5

• Getbig IV
  • WILL HARRIS: BRINGING GAY BACK!
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2007, 11:06:52 PM »

against dorian?

shows how little you know. Haney knew to quit after dorian's showing against him. Like Samir Bannout said at one of Dorian's wins...he is '1st second and third place'
JAY "OLIVE OIL" CUTLER!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 11:19:26 PM »

Agreed, the numbers plus the pics can't be questioned.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007, 11:20:26 PM »

Maybe but the bottom line is he never looked as good as Coleman or other of the best Olympians and was highly flawed. Don't be fooled by numbers of wins considering his competition.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 11:22:52 PM »
Well there's always his Unbelievable video.  Think about it, that thing might not ever be topped.  That thing redefined human ability and physical performance.     

Yeah, good point.  I think Ronnie did set the standard for what can be achieved in the "new era" of bodybuilding, just like a lot of people think Arnold set it for the previous era.  It will be exciting to see where bodybuilding will go from here.  I agree with Disgusted that the insulin has to go if bodybuilding is to keep from stagnating.

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2007, 12:25:52 AM »

Labrada looked way better than haney in the tested year.  90 or 91?

Also, you just started a thread about why Cutler should win.  After seeing his horrible shape tonight.  You have no creidbility anymore slayer.  what happened to you, man?
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion