Author Topic: 240's proposed Initiative for the board (sticked for 24 hours)  (Read 8532 times)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: 240's proposed Initiative for the board (sticked for 24 hours)
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2007, 06:31:17 PM »
Berserker's rules say no personal attacks.

I attacker his assertion and valued it as poor.

BB, your assertion that they hate us because we exist, and they don't hate other countries because they don't care... well, it's something I'd expect from an elementary school student trying to explain it. 

How do you equal valueing an assertion as

"poor"

with

"something I'd expect from an elementary school student"?
As empty as paradise

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2007, 06:42:46 PM »
How do you equal valueing an assertion as

"poor"

with

"something I'd expect from an elementary school student"?

{LOL} Hedgehog, in your attempt to dissect it, ...even you are unable to do so without admitting the comparison made was between "the assertion and the elementary student" and NOT Beach Bum, and the elementary student. Clearly the subject of 240's attack was the assertion itself.
w

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 06:48:26 PM »
Berserker's rules say no personal attacks.

I attacker his assertion and valued it as poor.  He then committed a personal attack.  He didn't follow the rules of Berserker.

If the rule has been changed, let's change it and have some fun here talking some shit.  But we all know that if I were to insult BB right now, the post would be removed.  COnsistency and clarification is all I want.  He mocked me for being a stay at home dad and called me a woman.  I would love to spend the next 5 posts talking shit back.  But, he'll remove them for violation of the rules.

Mods, you need to please clarify what the rules are. Cause BB isn't following the existing rule of no personal attacks.

From what i understand the rules to be as they were outlined when MM69 was attacking Jags is that in the context of a debate personal attacks are not outlawed, however attacks out of the blue, including sexists or racial attacks are prohibited. 

So if while arguing/debating Bob tells Jim he's an idiot for thinking the way he thinks is ok, but to call Jim an idiot without being in a debate like if for example Bob starts a thread saying "Bob is an idiot" or jumping into a debate between Jim and another person and calling Jim an idiot without any reasoning related to the debate is NOT ok.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2007, 06:51:18 PM »
{LOL} Hedgehog, in your attempt to dissect it, ...even you are unable to do so without admitting the comparison made was between "the assertion and the elementary student" and NOT Beach Bum, and the elementary student. Clearly the subject of 240's attack was the assertion itself.

Direct or indirect an insult is an insult.  This was indirect, but the meaning is still the same.   for example: "if i was a real A-hole  I'd say "Bob" is an idiot, but i'm not a A-hole so i won't."   

Get it?   I still called bob an idiot.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2007, 06:55:03 PM »
Direct or indirect an insult is an insult.  This was indirect, but the meaning is still the same.   for example: "if i was a real A-hole  I'd say "Bob" is an idiot, but i'm not a A-hole so i won't."   

Get it?   I still called bob an idiot.

I expect mature grown ups to get it...

;)
As empty as paradise

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2007, 07:06:22 PM »

From what i understand the rules to be as they were outlined when MM69 was attacking Jags is that in the context of a debate personal attacks are not outlawed, however attacks out of the blue, including sexists or racial attacks are prohibited. 

So if while arguing/debating Bob tells Jim he's an idiot for thinking the way he thinks is ok, but to call Jim an idiot without being in a debate like if for example Bob starts a thread saying "Bob is an idiot" or jumping into a debate between Jim and another person and calling Jim an idiot without any reasoning related to the debate is NOT ok.
Yeah, I remember Jag making a thread like that and not getting banned.  Lol.  As far as the insults, if you cannot take it then you really should not be on a political/debate board because this stuff happens.
Squishy face retard

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2007, 07:28:23 PM »
Happy Sunday everyone.

I've been following this "debate" while i have been watching the Niners redefine the phrases:  "No offense and multiple turn overs"  They have twice as many turn overs as points.

Honestly,

I don't see where the big deal is here in terms of personal attacks with-in the context of a debate/argument.   

240 and BB both have engaged in personal attacks with other people and each other.   So what? 

If you get to the point where you take what people say to you on a message board too personally i feel it's time to stop posting for a while, take deep breath, go hug your loved ones, and take inventory of what's really important in life.  In doing this you find that this forum is on the bottom half of the list.

Stick and stones fellas..............(speaking as a person who engaged in a 3 thread insult war with MM69 that lasted several days and look at us now, we get along great....so what's the big deal?)

IMO  a system of checks and balances will only over complicate a pretty simple board and in the short and long term just create more problems.

Should BB have moved the complaint?  Maybe yes, maybe no. 

Is the issue BB moving it or is it the insults?

The insult issue is a stupid thing to discuss becuase if we pursue it, this board will turn into Barney's PC playland enforce by over sensitive PC nazis.

The moving issue might be debatable until you realize that 240's whole issue is being discussed right here right now.

So what do i think?

I think we all have a civic duty to pay more attention to that fact that we look as though we might engage in hostilities with Iran and what that will mean to the future of our country, our children, and our freedom.

Also we should consider or find out if it's too late to replace the offensive coordinator for the niners.

And i love both you guys, 240 & BB.  (in a brotherly sort of way  ;))

Ozmo, ever the voice of calm reason.  ;D

BTW, nice job diplomatically putting what we're all thinking. The threads shouldn't have been moved.

If a mod. gets into a battle he shouldn't move the thread or delete posts. Some mods. take it far too seriously and abuse the power especially when they leave a snide little comment that can't be replied to when they move the thread. That's the action of a coward. 

This is the Politics board and we're all adult enough to handle the back and forth without deleting or moving posts and or threads.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2007, 07:40:12 PM »
Ozmo, well said.

If we locked this place down to the degree people couldn't eye roll it would be dead over night.  I personally don't want to lose the right to tell someone they've got their head up their asses if that's the way they're acting.  What I don't like to see is a debate degrate into an exchange of insults effectively killing the discussion.  It's really easy, anytime this happens where the whole thread has been wacked by a serious of insults, just report it to be reviewed by a mod.  If it's a harsh personal attack, report it to be reviewed.  Have some thick skin for the petty stuff tho.  I have many times clipped extensive exchanges of crap out of threads to keep the thread on point.  If it gets out of hand, the mods are well within their rights to wack it.  I love reading 240's posts and missed his presence on the board while he was gone, but I think he needs to learn to just ignore BB's baiting.  Oh and BB, you do bait the hell out of 240 so you saying that you don't start it is pure BS.  With that said, I think BB is doing a fine job at the mod helm.  I wouldn't have moved the threads but BB in my opinion still gets an A for his modding and I also don't really have any problem with the way the forum is moving along.  Problems that arise are few for the amount of posts made.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2007, 07:43:13 PM »
I also like that we are all having this talk, I personally think it's good for the forum.  8)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2007, 07:48:50 PM »
BB does a fine job, except for 3 things.

1) He intentionally escalated this situation.  I graded the leve of his assertion.  He insulted my family life and job.  Bit difference.

2) He moved my response to his insults.  Mod abuse.

3) His personal attacks were of a sexist nature.  Can I post 1500 degrading pics of women each day here?  Or are there limits to the degredation we allow here?  If he can do one, then any of us can do 1500 a day. 

I don't think anyone likes to see mods move repsonses to another board.  We talk about passionate issues here, there will be sparks  But to insult my life in an escalatory manner - then MOVE my response?  That is garbage moderation.  It's time to take out the trash.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2007, 08:39:54 PM »

1) He intentionally escalated this situation.  I graded the leve of his assertion.  He insulted my family life and job.  Bit difference.

3) His personal attacks were of a sexist nature.  Can I post 1500 degrading pics of women each day here?  Or are there limits to the degredation we allow here?  If he can do one, then any of us can do 1500 a day. 

I don't think anyone likes to see mods move repsonses to another board.  We talk about passionate issues here, there will be sparks  But to insult my life in an escalatory manner - then MOVE my response?  That is garbage moderation.  It's time to take out the trash.
We just got done saying there are limits, of course there are limits.  That's not even in question and has been stardard.  If you feel someone goes to far or a thread gets derailed with post after post of insults, report it for review.  The only PM I got about this was after it all went down.  The thing to do is to report it when it happens.  A little jabbing is no big deal as long as the debate continues.  When it disolves into a back and forth insult war, report it.  If I'm the one doing it, report it to BB or Ozmo and they can say, Berserker, you're out of line, I'm wacking the insult exchange.  If BB does it, contact another mod.  That's the beauty of our mod setup.  We're participating mods who oppose eachother politically but have always been able to meet eachother on the mod level.  It's a delicate balance that has all the right ingredients for chaos so in my opinion, it's outstanding that we've made it work.  But you all have to use the system we have set up.  It works.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2007, 08:51:16 PM »

Look, I really think you are blowing this out of proportion and you are misstating the facts.  I moved a thread, not a response, then split and moved the same complaint that I just moved to the Complaints Board, then moved two additional complaint threads containing the same stuff.  In any event, you are obviously upset over this, given that you have made about 50 posts in the last 24 hours about it.

If I offended you, I apologize.  I am not attacking your family.  I don't know you or your family.  This is a message board.  I come here for entertainment purposes and I actually learn quite a bit.  I never take the back and forth banter seriously, even when it involves personal insults.  You apparently do.  Does this mean I will never respond to ad hominem?  No, but I will try and be more sensitive.  I'm sorry if offended you or your family.

If you want to pick up the discussion of why Iran hates us, I am more than happy to do so in the existing thread.     

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2007, 09:00:40 PM »
Look, I really think you are blowing this out of proportion and you are misstating the facts.  I moved a thread, not a response, then split and moved the same complaint that I just moved to the Complaints Board, then moved two additional complaint threads containing the same stuff.  In any event, you are obviously upset over this, given that you have made about 50 posts in the last 24 hours about it.

If I offended you, I apologize.  I am not attacking your family.  I don't know you or your family.  This is a message board.  I come here for entertainment purposes and I actually learn quite a bit.  I never take the back and forth banter seriously, even when it involves personal insults.  You apparently do.  Does this mean I will never respond to ad hominem?  No, but I will try and be more sensitive.  I'm sorry if offended you or your family.

If you want to pick up the discussion of why Iran hates us, I am more than happy to do so in the existing thread.     

thanks man.  sorry to blow it out of proportion as well.  peace.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2007, 10:46:02 PM »
awesome :)

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2007, 11:09:10 AM »
ring ring ring...hey pot? this is 240, just wanted to let you know you were black
gotta love life

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2007, 03:20:36 PM »
ring ring ring...hey pot? this is 240, just wanted to let you know you were black

???

What's wrong with being Black? Now that we've gotten one issue out of the way, ...don't be starting another.  ;)
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2007, 03:28:42 PM »
I may have called the occasional person here a dumbass or lame but doubt they took it personally.

Even though I was right. :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2007, 04:33:52 PM »

lol... get off the computer and go get some trigger time, my friend.  oil prices dropped today, thanks for that ;)

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2007, 04:51:32 PM »
lol... get off the computer and go get some trigger time, my friend.  oil prices dropped today, thanks for that ;)

answer me this...if oil was at $80 a barrel and gas price was 2.50..how come when oil was $70, gas was 3.50?
gotta love life

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2007, 04:52:14 PM »
If I offended you, I apologize.

thanks man.  sorry to blow it out of proportion as well.  peace.

Good Stuff!  8)
S

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2007, 06:34:07 PM »
answer me this...if oil was at $80 a barrel and gas price was 2.50..how come when oil was $70, gas was 3.50?

Corporate gouging?
w