Author Topic: Beijing Olympic Games: Boycott?  (Read 1681 times)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Beijing Olympic Games: Boycott?
« on: September 30, 2007, 12:24:22 PM »
Me and a friend got into a discussion the other day whether the Beijing Olympic Games should be target for a boycott since it's not a democracy.

Political statements by John Carlos and Tommie Smith, and Muhammad Ali and others, were brought up as example. Also the boycott of South Africa during the apartheid, and those athletes who didn't honed that.

We kinda landed in two agreements:

1. That a boycott on Beijing would have a tremendous impact - if the initiative came from some key athletes like Federer, Phelps, big Track and Field stars with help from grass roots movement - and NOT from politicians.

and

2. That we would likely support such a boycott, and refuse to watch the Olympics, if the initiative came from the athletes, and not some upper decision maker, eg a sports federation.

What are your thoughts on this?
As empty as paradise

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
Re: Beijing Olympic Games: Boycott?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 02:49:27 PM »
Why do you care if China is a democracy or not?
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 03:10:15 PM »
Me and a friend got into a discussion the other day whether the Beijing Olympic Games should be target for a boycott since it's not a democracy.

Political statements by John Carlos and Tommie Smith, and Muhammad Ali and others, were brought up as example. Also the boycott of South Africa during the apartheid, and those athletes who didn't honed that.

We kinda landed in two agreements:

1. That a boycott on Beijing would have a tremendous impact - if the initiative came from some key athletes like Federer, Phelps, big Track and Field stars with help from grass roots movement - and NOT from politicians.

and

2. That we would likely support such a boycott, and refuse to watch the Olympics, if the initiative came from the athletes, and not some upper decision maker, eg a sports federation.

What are your thoughts on this?

A boycott would hurt us too, particularly our athletes.  Some of our athletes missed out on some major milestones the last time we boycotted the Olympics.  The only way I could see this having a significant impact is if major sponsors pulled out too.   

But this is an interesting issue.  I was talking to a couple of people from China the other day and they said China is going to make a huge effort to give the world a false impression that things in China are just fine.  There will be a lot of masking, makeup, etc.   

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 03:19:48 PM »
Not everyone favors democracy. So why would be boycott such a country that chooses it's own path? Tyranny of the majority is much worse. Ethnocentrism of people choosing that their country "is the greatest" is also dangerous.

Like Bum said it would backfire on any nation that choose to do so.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 03:44:48 PM »
A boycott would hurt us too, particularly our athletes.  Some of our athletes missed out on some major milestones the last time we boycotted the Olympics.  The only way I could see this having a significant impact is if major sponsors pulled out too.   

But this is an interesting issue.  I was talking to a couple of people from China the other day and they should China is going to make a huge effort to give the world a false impression that things in China are just fine.  There will be a lot of masking, makeup, etc.   

If someone like say Federer boycotted the Olympics, ie he himself made that initiative, it would show that he was willing to sacrifice a great deal in order to protest against the violations of human rights in China, the lack of Democracy there.

Federer would give up his realistic chance of winning a Gold Slam (Grand Slam+Olympic Title), and that would be a tremendous blow to Beijing of course, not having him there.

But like I said, for a boycott to get support from fans, and to be effective, I think it has to be certain key athletes that needs to start it.

Eg, a white tennis player and/or Michael Phelps in the USA, otherwise there would be the usual racial BS.

This is purely a hypothetical argument though. However, the idea of athletes showing some courage would be refreshing.

Thierry Henry, the footballer, is one of the few I can think of from the top of my head. Lilien Thuram, another one.

Why do you care if China is a democracy or not?

Because it's the right thing.

Democracy is equally important everywhere.

Not everyone favors democracy. So why would be boycott such a country that chooses it's own path? Tyranny of the majority is much worse. Ethnocentrism of people choosing that their country "is the greatest" is also dangerous.

Because we want democracy. And we can choose to show that we don't want to deal with China as long as they're not respecting human rights and democracy.

Like Bum said it would backfire on any nation that choose to do so.

You have to take stand sometimes. Tommie Smith and John Carlos did just that in Mexico City 1968.

I have immense respect for a guy like Jonathan Edwards, the great triple jumper, who for years missed out on medals and big prizes when competitions were held on Sundays.

Why? Because he was a devout Christian (he's an Atheist/Agnostic these days), and felt it would be against his beliefs to compete on Sundays.

He sacrificed a medal, and even cash, for something he believed was a greater cause.

I definitely respect that.
As empty as paradise

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 05:15:02 PM »
If someone like say Federer boycotted the Olympics, ie he himself made that initiative, it would show that he was willing to sacrifice a great deal in order to protest against the violations of human rights in China, the lack of Democracy there.

Federer would give up his realistic chance of winning a Gold Slam (Grand Slam+Olympic Title), and that would be a tremendous blow to Beijing of course, not having him there.

But like I said, for a boycott to get support from fans, and to be effective, I think it has to be certain key athletes that needs to start it.

Eg, a white tennis player and/or Michael Phelps in the USA, otherwise there would be the usual racial BS.

This is purely a hypothetical argument though. However, the idea of athletes showing some courage would be refreshing.

Thierry Henry, the footballer, is one of the few I can think of from the top of my head. Lilien Thuram, another one.

Although I am a tennis fan, I doubt a boycott by Federer would have a significant impact on Beijing.  Tennis isn't a big enough draw.  It would have to be a major track and field athlete; for example, one of the top sprinters in the world. 

I agree a boycott by anyone, including Federer, would send a strong message.  But a significant impact on communism in China?  I don't see it.  I think the time to send the message was when China was in the running to host the Olympics.  Refusing to award the Olympics to China because of communism would have been monumental.   

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 06:19:53 PM »
I don't see this proposal as having any legs whatsoever!

I don't see any G8 country or any WTO member country boycotting the Beijing games.

China and good relations with her is too desired by too many nations around the world.
China & India have the ability to re-shape global economics for the future and world leaders know this.

The sponsors of the 2008 games are strategically looking to get a foothold in the door prior to China entering WTO in 2012. No one is going to risk access to Chinese markets. China's population runs into the billions, and there is an emerging geometrically growing segment within China of conspicuous consumption, similar to the conspicuous consumerism north america experienced from the 50's thru the 90's. Anyone fortunate enough to do business with China in the past, have seen unprecedented profits on a scale never before dreamed of, ...and there is no way any nation is going to jeopardize this.

The Western nations have dominated for the past 50 years, and the next 50 years of global domination in economics will be determined by the decisions and ties forged by China & India combined. No nation in their right mind desirous of survival in the new 21st century economy will risk that.

What I will find real interesting is the affect the pollution has on the athletes.

I know Beijing is in a desperate bid to clean up all the pollution in time for the summer games.
Just like LA did in '84. Fortunately, myself and my colleagues have been able to help them in this regard, and it has proven to be an extremely lucrative market for us.  :P

A boycott of China may occur at some point in the future ...stranger things have happened, but I doubt 10 months is effective lead time to bring about such a thing. It won't happen by the 2008 games.
w

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 06:27:21 PM »
I don't see this proposal as having any legs whatsoever!

I'm not sure I've seen any proposals for it yet.

The point of starting the thread, was discussing how sports athletes themselves could make a difference, in this case, and in other instances as well.

Perhaps you'd be best off re-reading my initial post?
As empty as paradise

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 06:34:21 PM »
I'm not sure I've seen any proposals for it yet.

The point of starting the thread, was discussing how sports athletes themselves could make a difference, in this case, and in other instances as well.

Perhaps you'd be best off re-reading my initial post?

I believe the answer is contained within my earlier response. No legs whatsoever!
Sure every country wants to bring home gold medals, but I doubt any athlete who has spent the last 8 yrs training to win a gold medal is going to all of a sudden say "I'm not going". Even if one did, I doubt their country would back them, or support it for the very reasons stated above.
w

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 06:40:47 PM »
I believe the answer is contained within my earlier response. No legs whatsoever!
Sure every country wants to bring home gold medals, but I doubt any athlete who has spent the last 8 yrs training to win a gold medal is going to all of a sudden say "I'm not going". Even if one did, I doubt their country would back them, or support it for the very reasons stated above.

The Olympics are every 4th year.

I never said it was easy to do the right thing.

Muhammad Ali took tremendous amounts of shit for not going to Vietnam and fighting a war he didn't believe in.

He lost almost everything.

But he kept his self respect.
As empty as paradise

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 06:44:42 PM »
The Olympics are every 4th year.

I never said it was easy to do the right thing.

Muhammad Ali took tremendous amounts of shit for not going to Vietnam and fighting a war he didn't believe in.

He lost almost everything.

But he kept his self respect.

However, we are not talking about going to war are we?
...we are talking about going to the Olympics.  8)
w

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 06:58:29 PM »
However, we are not talking about going to war are we?
...we are talking about going to the Olympics.  8)

Sorry about not being clear: I was hoping to get the input from the board on athletes showing some interest in current events, and showing some balls, prepared to make sacrifices for something that means much to them.

I guess I'm looking for a new sports hero.
As empty as paradise

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2007, 07:19:00 AM »

I guess I'm looking for a new sports hero.

:)
E

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2007, 07:28:26 AM »
:)

Thanks danny.

Now I can die a happy man.
As empty as paradise

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2007, 09:17:32 AM »
Wasn't Beijing voted via democratic process that it was to hold the Olympics?

Doesn't the same organisation that made the vote represent the athletes?

All seems like a good old case of cutting off the nose to spite the face.

Hedge, I'd like to know the name of the country where true democracy exists. As far as I can see self labelled democratic countries only use a subset of democracy. It could be said parts of the Chinese economy machine are democratic.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2007, 10:04:19 AM »
Great points Hedge and Beach. 

And it's not about democracy so much as it a push for people having the right to be treated humanely, which something that DOES NOT happen in China.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 05:49:23 PM »
w

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 06:51:20 PM »
Wasn't Beijing voted via democratic process that it was to hold the Olympics?

Doesn't the same organisation that made the vote represent the athletes?

All seems like a good old case of cutting off the nose to spite the face.

Hedge, I'd like to know the name of the country where true democracy exists. As far as I can see self labelled democratic countries only use a subset of democracy. It could be said parts of the Chinese economy machine are democratic.

You've been reading your Robert Dahl I see.. ;D

His criterias for a democracy, which he claims no nation meets:

1. Effective Participation
   2. Voting Equality at the Decisive Stage
   3. Enlightened Understanding
   4. Control of the Agenda
   5. Inclusiveness

He speaks of polyarchies instead:

* Control over governmental decisions about policy is constitutionally vested in elected officials.

* Elected officials are chosen and peacefully removed in relatively frequent, fair and free elections in which coercion is quite limited.

* Practically all adults have the right to vote in these elections (as opposed to, for example, the case of the United States where close to four million U.S. citizens are excluded from participating to elect the President and cannot vote in elections that select voting-members of Congress: U.S. Government disenfranchisement of U.S. citizens residing in Puerto Rico).

* Most adults also have the right to run for the public offices for which candidates run in these elections.

* Citizens have an effectively enforced right to freedom of expression, particularly political expression, including criticism of the officials, the conduct of the government, the prevailing political, economic, and social system, and the dominant ideology.

* They also have access to alternative sources of information that are not monopolized by the government or any other single group.

* Finally, they have an effectively enforced right to form and join autonomous associations, including political associations, such as political parties and interest groups, that attempt to influence the government by competing in elections and by other peaceful means.

From what I recall, there are only 20 or so countries that fully meet the criterias of being a full polyarchy. USA not being one of them, mainly based on the fact that so many are excluded from voting (eg a felony sentencing leads to lifetime exclusion from voting in some states).

Semantics you may say. Or bollocks. 8)

I trailed off somewhat, due to your interesting question there. ;D

As far as China: It's easy to close the eyes on China and excuse their lack of democracy due to their culture. That's what Rupert Murdoch does.

But I am no liberal apologist, and no culti hugger either. So giving China a pass because they have a different culture, I won't do that.

Will you? 8)

(I rather liked how I managed to turn this around into you being a culti hugging liberal, quite astonishing, if I may say so ;D)
As empty as paradise

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2007, 02:26:24 AM »
Nice post.

My belief is that China should never have been given the games in the first place to it's "culture" or government style.

I personally believe most "democratic" countries fail on this issue:

4. Control of the Agenda

Haha, as if the average voter in UK/US has any control over the agenda ::)
الاسلام هو شيطانية