Author Topic: Scouts Day in Emergency  (Read 2134 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Scouts Day in Emergency
« on: October 01, 2007, 10:54:29 AM »
It was a very lonnnnng day yesterday for teh ScoutMaster and me  :(

Long story short...
We spent the entire day at the emergency vet hospital.  Scout has some sort of abscess on his foot which developed quite rapidly (literally right before our eyes) which had caused a dangerously high fever, which caused his breathing to be elevated which is why I took him in there in the first place.  We've got about a weeks worth of soaking, wrapping, antibiotics and pain meds to hope for improvement.  If not, surgery might be needed.

Rather than paying full price for the drugs at the vet upon discharge, I opted to get them on my own.  $56 deducted from the $400+ bill.  Checked Walgreens on the way home = $43  :-\  Reluctantly, called Wall Mart, but couldn't pass it up.  $8.00  :o :o :o Same drugs $8 bucks -vs- $56  ::)
Regardless, I still won't shop there  :-X :-X :-X  The guy in front of me was refilling his Vicodin script and buying a container of chewing tobacky   ::)

Lesson learned:  Trust your gut (intuition) and
                       Never pay full price for drugs.
:

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
Re: Scouts Day in Emergency
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 11:15:13 AM »
Cone head... Poor scout.. Stick it out Chucka and Chaos both had one.. Give scout a belly rub for me..

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 11:18:28 AM »
damn....whats with all of these injuries?

Hope the Scout feels better

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 02:36:37 PM »
Aww I hope Scout feels better and avoids surgery.  SO true about the meds!

:)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 04:21:23 PM »
:(   Poor Scout!!!   Any thoughts on what caused the abscess and it to get so bad so fast?

Scout get back to stealing boots soon!!!!!!!

What is it around here lately?   :-\  As soon as one pet gets good news and is on the mend another one gets injured, ill, or some complication?!?

Enough Already!!   >:(   Somebody get a new puppy/kitten/spider or something and post some good news!!!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 10:16:23 AM »
Aww Scout!  Get well soon! 

R

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 03:11:18 PM »
Scout says thanx for all the Get Well wishes.  ;D  He's feeling much better.

I'm keeping a sock on his foot (turned inside out) to keep him from licking it (and keep the drainage off the carpet).  He figured out a way to lick his foot with the halo on  ::), but more importantly, it seemed to freak him out.  He would just stand there all paralyzed looking really scared and nauseas  :-[
:

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 09:49:24 AM »

I'm keeping a sock on his foot (turned inside out) to keep him from licking it (and keep the drainage off the carpet).  He figured out a way to lick his foot with the halo on  ::), but more importantly, it seemed to freak him out.  He would just stand there all paralyzed looking really scared and nauseas  :-[

The collar seems to affect a lot of dogs like that. Except for Addie, maybe it is a male dog thing?   ::)

So he probably won't need surgery?   What was the cause of the abscess?  How do you keep him from pulling off the sock?   (Pic of him in the sock please!!)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 09:52:33 AM »
   (Pic of him in the sock please!!) [/color]
R

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 11:38:46 AM »

Our dog did that the first day....then he was very lively after that.  To the point....he figured out how to chew the cone off

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 08:24:19 PM »
The collar seems to affect a lot of dogs like that. Except for Addie, maybe it is a male dog thing?   ::)

So he probably won't need surgery?   What was the cause of the abscess?  How do you keep him from pulling off the sock?   (Pic of him in the sock please!!)

>:( urggghhh  This
Hang on tight!
We are having connection problems. This may be caused by the server being busy or maintenance is being performed. Please try again later.
crap is getting on my nerves  >:(

It doesn't appear so.  Appears to be getting better.  There's no pain (so I'm not giving that med.) and he's getting around fine.  I'm soaking 2 or 3 times a day in epsom salts.

Vet, if you have any follow-up thoughts, please let me know.  We really don't know what caused it since there was no apparent penetration, however, I did take him on a long walk (no sidewalks) the previous day, so...  ???

I wrap tape around the sock at his elbow joint.  Seems to work.  :-\ and he doesn't even attempt to pull it off.  The second I take it off tho, he starts licking it  ::)

Nothing too humorous in this pic. (note the purple sock)
:

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 07:54:39 AM »

Nothing too humorous in this pic. (note the purple sock)

LOL @ purple sock!!   ;D

Glad to hear that he is doing better!!  What a good boy to leave the sock alone!
:D

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 11:03:56 AM »

How is Scout doing Princess?  Is his foot all better?   :-\

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2007, 11:50:55 AM »
How is Scout doing Princess?  Is his foot all better?   :-\

Thanks for asking.  He seems to be doing fine and acts like nothing ever happened.  Now I need to get a poop sample and follow up on the worm thing  ???
:

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 12:08:26 PM »

Thanks for asking.  He seems to be doing fine and acts like nothing ever happened.  Now I need to get a poop sample and follow up on the worm thing  ???

Yeah on the foot!!!

You can find a poop sample!   

Poop Doggy Dog!!     ;D

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 12:11:14 PM »

Yeah on the foot!!!

You can find a poop sample!   

Poop Doggy Dog!!     ;D

Oh, no problem on getting the poop.  It will be fresh and steamy ~ just not today cuz it's cold and rainy and I don't want to go out there  :D
: