Author Topic: Olympia Expo Thoughts: Good or Bad?  (Read 10966 times)

Jerryme7

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Check out www.muscleshoppe.com for the best prices
Re: Several Reasons why the Expo was so poor this year
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2007, 09:52:44 AM »
Expos are meant to get free stuff!!

bb doc

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2007, 09:54:48 AM »
"what we did"

Chick, what was your role in setting up the Expo?

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Olympia Expo Thoughts: Good or Bad?
« Reply #77 on: October 03, 2007, 09:58:16 AM »
You are right, Lift. Some of those shots were taken on Thursday while the set-up crew (Champions) was in the process of erecting the booth spaces.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2007, 10:00:27 AM »
"what we did"

Chick, what was your role in setting up the Expo?

I help with many different aspects of the Olympia, as I am part of the Olympia production team....

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #79 on: October 03, 2007, 10:04:50 AM »
I never take free stuff at the expo's (i don't want to lug it around for one thing)
second reason is ...................i just use a Whey isolate for supplements (and ill just buy it)

call me weird i guess.............

Jerryme7

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Check out www.muscleshoppe.com for the best prices
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2007, 10:06:02 AM »
Im poor as hell so hand outs are welcomed in my book!

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2007, 10:14:36 AM »
Appreciate the props on the Press conference...

"appeared" is the key word...we actually had MORE vendors and booths....what we did was expand the size as well as the aisle width to accomodate the amount of people attending and the massive bags being carried. Anyone who has gone to the ASC will tell you, it's complete gridlock and very annoying when you cant get from A to B because of the crowded areas...

As for samples...that's up to the individual vendors

Bob, tell me why the audience is always in a hurry to clear the room once the Mr O is announced. is it either a lack of respect for the athlete or are they just disappointed?
Get Big, or Die Trying

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2007, 10:18:07 AM »
Jerryme was very accurate in his description.  As for bluto and the dumpster diving comment, I disagree.  Last year, many companies unveiled new MR bars and flavors.  I don't like sampling stuff thats been sitting around for 2hrs with 200 hands all over it.

As for the more room as chick said, it was more pleasant to move around.  I do reccomend that anyone who is a true fan of BBing to go next time and check everything out from the press conference on.

I really would like to see all 3 screens being used above the stage at the olympia rather than just the middle one, with the other 2 used as advertisements for muscletech.  I couldn't get a good look at the figure comparisons, but had the other 2 screens been used I know I could have.
Most are all show no go!

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2007, 10:18:30 AM »
Its obvious the supplement companies have taken a hit because of getbig's member's relentless criticisms of their decietful practices and shitty products. They have cut their marketing budgets realizing they can no longer fool bodybuilders, weightlifers.

I bet they are going to put their marketing money towards some other naive niche  group that they can rip off.

The money pit with bodybuilders has dried up thanks to getbig members.

affy

« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2007, 10:25:18 AM »
I never take free stuff at the expo's (i don't want to lug it around for one thing)
second reason is ...................i just use a Whey isolate for supplements (and ill just buy it)

i guess thats why you're such a monster

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2007, 10:25:36 AM »
Its obvious the supplement companies have taken a hit because of getbig's member's relentless criticisms of their decietful practices and shitty products. They have cut their marketing budgets realizing they can no longer fool bodybuilders, weightlifers.

I bet they are going to put their marketing money towards some other naive niche  group that they can rip off.

The money pit with bodybuilders has dried up thanks to getbig members.
LOL. Sounds like you are channeling Vince Basile, here.  :-\

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2007, 10:33:35 AM »

Bob, tell me why the audience is always in a hurry to clear the room once the Mr O is announced. is it either a lack of respect for the athlete or are they just disappointed?

THey're not...and havent been in any hurry in the last two years....last time I seen the room clear was when Ronnie won his 8th straight....show was over, same result was given in te last 8 tries, and people were out to the vegas strip....

NO ONE left last year....and few did this year.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2007, 10:38:01 AM »
I was only able to attend the Press Conference for a few minutes, but what I saw was very impressive. The placed was packed and the stage set-up was impressive. Almost liked like a million dollar set from a high ranking TV game show.

I was also impressed by the Expo. My only complaint there was the cost involved getting the gear from the loading dock to the booth space site. Most products could have been carried in by the vendors but since it was a union operation, everything had to be carried in by the union personel and that got rather expensive.

Rumor was that it cost $25 to carry one case of drinks from the loading dock area to any of the booths inside. Any truth to that one?

Bob, you guys did one hell of a great job making that expo work for one and all. I made the complete tour/rounds at least six times over the two day period.

The most impressive thing I saw was the little 4 year old karate kid doing warm-ups in the ring by jumping four feet into the air and landing on the deck in the split position. Cocky little kid but he did impress everyone.

I still feel that women's bodybuilding has gone overboard, but I gotta admit that I still have lots of respect for their efforts. I didn't agree with the Jay decision and discovered soon afterwards that there were many other who thought that Martinez should have won it.

Best dude in the whole damn expo has to be Noah Steer! One who never seemed to crack a smile was Ferrigno. Milos was always busy talking business. Cena was super polite to all his fans. Chick was touring the place and speaking to eveyone as time allowed. Ron was having a great time soaking it all in. Lift was shooting pictures and shaking hands.
Soloman (mon?) was a great guy to talk with and has the kind of voice that the movie industry is always looking for... brings back memories of Stirling Holloway. Jeff Everson towering over the crowd and shaking hands with just about eveyone in passing. Robby Robinson still looking younger than he did 30 years ago. Quincey appeared to be the most generous pro giving ample time to each of his many fans for conversation and picture taking. James "Flex" Lewis and Peter Putnam and Brandon Curry (the future of bodybuilding) making new fans at this expo with courtious talk and photo ops. I know and have met lots of fighters since the days of Joe Lewis and Jack Dempsey, but the one fighter who most amazes me is the one fighter whose name I can't remember, so I'll include his photo at the bottom. Talk to this fighter for just two minutes, and I know that you'll agree 110%. He brings class ot MMA.

I'm forgetting many others and some beautiful ladies who made every  guy feel like he was the only person in the place.
One lady in particular knows what I mean.

Had a great time! Thanks to all who made that possible.

Sorry for this blurry shot.....

untitled

• Getbig II
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2007, 11:06:54 AM »
Thats Forest Griffin

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2007, 04:52:54 PM »

take the free stuff and sell it.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2007, 05:14:33 PM »
I was only able to attend the Press Conference for a few minutes, but what I saw was very impressive. The placed was packed and the stage set-up was impressive. Almost liked like a million dollar set from a high ranking TV game show.

I was also impressed by the Expo. My only complaint there was the cost involved getting the gear from the loading dock to the booth space site. Most products could have been carried in by the vendors but since it was a union operation, everything had to be carried in by the union personel and that got rather expensive.

Rumor was that it cost $25 to carry one case of drinks from the loading dock area to any of the booths inside. Any truth to that one?

Bob, you guys did one hell of a great job making that expo work for one and all. I made the complete tour/rounds at least six times over the two day period.

The most impressive thing I saw was the little 4 year old karate kid doing warm-ups in the ring by jumping four feet into the air and landing on the deck in the split position. Cocky little kid but he did impress everyone.

I still feel that women's bodybuilding has gone overboard, but I gotta admit that I still have lots of respect for their efforts. I didn't agree with the Jay decision and discovered soon afterwards that there were many other who thought that Martinez should have won it.

Best dude in the whole damn expo has to be Noah Steer! One who never seemed to crack a smile was Ferrigno. Milos was always busy talking business. Cena was super polite to all his fans. Chick was touring the place and speaking to eveyone as time allowed. Ron was having a great time soaking it all in. Lift was shooting pictures and shaking hands.
Soloman (mon?) was a great guy to talk with and has the kind of voice that the movie industry is always looking for... brings back memories of Stirling Holloway. Jeff Everson towering over the crowd and shaking hands with just about eveyone in passing. Robby Robinson still looking younger than he did 30 years ago. Quincey appeared to be the most generous pro giving ample time to each of his many fans for conversation and picture taking. James "Flex" Lewis and Peter Putnam and Brandon Curry (the future of bodybuilding) making new fans at this expo with courtious talk and photo ops. I know and have met lots of fighters since the days of Joe Lewis and Jack Dempsey, but the one fighter who most amazes me is the one fighter whose name I can't remember, so I'll include his photo at the bottom. Talk to this fighter for just two minutes, and I know that you'll agree 110%. He brings class ot MMA.

I'm forgetting many others and some beautiful ladies who made every  guy feel like he was the only person in the place.
One lady in particular knows what I mean.

Had a great time! Thanks to all who made that possible.

Sorry for this blurry shot.....

Thanks Bill!

Concerning the Union costs...it's out of our hands, as you well know...any union run expo hall has outrageous costs for even the simplist things...just part of the game...

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2007, 05:17:48 PM »
I help with many different aspects of the Olympia, as I am part of the Olympia production team....
Like handing out pencils and score cards to the judges?  ::)