Author Topic: Al Gore circa 1992  (Read 1559 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Al Gore circa 1992
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 10:49:21 AM »

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 11:11:44 AM »
My goodness.  Decker have you watched this?  Any comments? 
No, I've read it (I don't have my speakers hooked up):  http://www.reasons-for-war-with-iraq.info/al-gore_9-29-1992.pdf

I think he's spot on.  He correctly attributes the US support of the monster Hussein to Reagan/Bush.  He is right to point out that Iraq used terrorist tactics...just like every other middle eastern country.  And where exactly does Hussein's support of Al Qaeda appear in the text of the speech?

It doesn't.

Plus that speech was given 15 years ago.  Since then the US sanctions crippled the country and the UNSCOM and UNMOVIC inspections effectively disarmed them.

Times changed.  In 2003, Hussein was a toothless dictator.

Good for Al Gore!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 11:18:53 AM »
No, I've read it (I don't have my speakers hooked up):  http://www.reasons-for-war-with-iraq.info/al-gore_9-29-1992.pdf

I think he's spot on.  He correctly attributes the US support of the monster Hussein to Reagan/Bush.  He is right to point out that Iraq used terrorist tactics...just like every other middle eastern country.  And where exactly does Hussein's support of Al Qaeda appear in the text of the speech?

It doesn't.

Plus that speech was given 15 years ago.  Since then the US sanctions crippled the country and the UNSCOM and UNMOVIC inspections effectively disarmed them.

Times changed.  In 2003, Hussein was a toothless dictator.

Good for Al Gore!

O Rly?  Let's compare what Gore said 15 years to what Gore said in 2002:

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."
Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002.

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."
Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 11:42:01 AM »
O Rly?  Let's compare what Gore said 15 years to what Gore said in 2002:

"We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."
Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002.

"Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."
Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002.

The first statement is incorrect--he is human and his opinion is in err.  The second statement is a fair assumption.  Thank goodness we had WMD inspectors on the ground in 2002 to verify the fact that Iraq had no WMDs.  That way we avoided a military confrontation.

My mistake.  Bush attacked the country anyways.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 11:49:31 AM »
The first statement is incorrect--he is human and his opinion is in err.  The second statement is a fair assumption.  Thank goodness we had WMD inspectors on the ground in 2002 to verify the fact that Iraq had no WMDs.  That way we avoided a military confrontation.

My mistake.  Bush attacked the country anyways.

Actually what Gore said for over a decade is consistent with John Kerry's position:

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction. "[W]ithout question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation. And now he has continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real ...
Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 11:52:14 AM »
Actually what Gore said for over a decade is consistent with John Kerry's position:

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction. "[W]ithout question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation. And now he has continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real ...
Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003.

That's fantastic.  Yet so irrelevant.  The WMD inspectors on the ground were finding no WMDs.  I don't care what Kerry, Gore, Lincoln or Washington THOUGHT about WMDs in Iraq. 

The repeated quotes are worthless to absolve Bush of his murderous guilt.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 12:00:32 PM »
That's fantastic.  Yet so irrelevant.  The WMD inspectors on the ground were finding no WMDs.  I don't care what Kerry, Gore, Lincoln or Washington THOUGHT about WMDs in Iraq. 

The repeated quotes are worthless to absolve Bush of his murderous guilt.

You mean you don't believe Ted Kennedy?

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seing and developing weapons of mass destruction."
Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 12:11:17 PM »
You mean you don't believe Ted Kennedy?

"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seing and developing weapons of mass destruction."
Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002.
hahahaha.

Yes, I take all that back and throw this at his feet.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 12:26:20 PM »
hahahaha.

Yes, I take all that back and throw this at his feet.

:D  Great!  Senator Rockefeller approves of your conversion:

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years . We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."
Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002

What happened to that guy anyway?  Talk about (to quote Mike Tyson) "fading into bolivian."  He went from presidential candidate to footnote status. 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 12:31:40 PM »
:D  Great!  Senator Rockefeller approves of your conversion:

"There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years . We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."
Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002

What happened to that guy anyway?  Talk about (to quote Mike Tyson) "fading into bolivian."  He went from presidential candidate to footnote status. 

Check the dates of your quotes.  Ancient History.  The inspections occurred btn march of 2002 and may of 2003...up to the attack.  The reports of Blix et al. to the UN starting in 2003 show no WMDs and no WMD programs.

Remember Kerry's, 'I voted for it before I voted against it' statement?  He voted for the 87 billion b/c he thought there were wmds in Iraq.  Then he heard Blix and saw Bush invade Iraq irrespective of the inspectors's findings and then he voted against the 87 billion.

Any sane person would do the same.  But the republican spin machine painted him as a flip flopper.

Yeah, I have no idea.  I think I saw him on Bill Moyer's NOW program not too long ago.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 12:55:07 PM »
Check the dates of your quotes.  Ancient History.  The inspections occurred btn march of 2002 and may of 2003...up to the attack.  The reports of Blix et al. to the UN starting in 2003 show no WMDs and no WMD programs.

Remember Kerry's, 'I voted for it before I voted against it' statement?  He voted for the 87 billion b/c he thought there were wmds in Iraq.  Then he heard Blix and saw Bush invade Iraq irrespective of the inspectors's findings and then he voted against the 87 billion.

Any sane person would do the same.  But the republican spin machine painted him as a flip flopper.

Yeah, I have no idea.  I think I saw him on Bill Moyer's NOW program not too long ago.

What I see are very consistent, uniform comments by Gore 15 years ago, the Clinton administration, and members of Congress before and after Bush took office saying Saddam has or is trying to acquire WMDs, is a threat, and needs to be removed, including Kerry's comments on 23 Jan. 03 calling for Saddam's removal.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 01:45:36 PM »
Well, Deck, I'll give it to you.  None of your Bush-hating cronies were gutsy enough to hang in there and argue the hypocrisy that we see from the liberal-minded on the Iraq/Suddam Hussein era.  Hats off to you, but like Beach is saying, there's a whole lotta duckin' and dodgin' of facts, which conservatives have been accused of and even more have succumed to, leaving them no choice but to abandon the president.