Author Topic: Police: Black student marked with 'KKK' at deaf school  (Read 2110 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Police: Black student marked with 'KKK' at deaf school
« on: October 03, 2007, 08:18:46 PM »
It's a shame that this stuff is happening with kids.  Are we breeding a whole new generation of bigots?  :-\

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A weekend incident with racial overtones at a high school for deaf students could result in criminal charges with "enhanced penalties for a hate crime," Metro Police Chief Cathy Lanier said Wednesday.

A black student was held against his will and then released with "KKK" and swastikas drawn on him in marker at the Model Secondary School for the Deaf on Sunday, she said.

No charges have been filed, and no names have been released, Lanier said.

The incident began when a group of black students and a group of white students were in a dorm. "My understanding is the two groups engaged in friendly horseplay," she said.

But, she said, the groups got "angry with each other."

The two groups separated, she said, but later, six white students and one black student -- all between the ages of 15 and 19 -- took one of the black students into a dorm room and "held him there against his will."

"They used markers to write 'KKK' and draw swastikas on the student," Lanier said.

The student was released after about 45 minutes. He notified dorm and school authorities, who called police.

Lanier said police have identified and interviewed the students involved and the "investigation is ongoing."

"The support we've received from the campus and from the school employees has been tremendous," Lanier said. "And I think they're supporting us in making a very strong statement that this investigation may lead to charges that could have enhanced penalties for a hate crime."

The school is a residential high school on the campus of Gallaudet University, a higher education facility for deaf and hard of hearing people. The high school is administered as a division of the university's Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center.

Dean of Clerc Center Katherine A. Jankowski said the seven students who participated in the incident were sent home.

Gallaudet provost Stephen Weiner said the school does "not tolerate any action, behavior of this type."

"We are taking action," he said. "We are looking at programs to help students understand we are a school with a diverse population."

"This incident is intolerable," he said. "That's why the Metro police are involved. That's how serious we are about this incident."

Jankowski said the school has also hired a consultant to work with the school and its students on diversity issues.

On Monday, teachers and staff hosted a school-wide assembly with students related to the incident, said Jankowski. Individual and group counseling services were also available to students, teachers and staff.

"We are committed to ensuring MSSD is a safe and supportive learning environment," she said.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/03/deafschool.racial.incident/index.html

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Re: Police: Black student marked with 'KKK' at deaf school
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 06:12:37 AM »

I guess they haven't heard that no one does that stuff anymore.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 06:40:17 AM »
It's a shame that this stuff is happening with kids.  Are we breeding a whole new generation of bigots?  :-\

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A weekend incident with racial overtones at a high school for deaf students could result in criminal charges with "enhanced penalties for a hate crime," Metro Police Chief Cathy Lanier said Wednesday.

A black student was held against his will and then released with "KKK" and swastikas drawn on him in marker at the Model Secondary School for the Deaf on Sunday, she said.

No charges have been filed, and no names have been released, Lanier said.

The incident began when a group of black students and a group of white students were in a dorm. "My understanding is the two groups engaged in friendly horseplay," she said.

But, she said, the groups got "angry with each other."

The two groups separated, she said, but later, six white students and one black student -- all between the ages of 15 and 19 -- took one of the black students into a dorm room and "held him there against his will."

"They used markers to write 'KKK' and draw swastikas on the student," Lanier said.

The student was released after about 45 minutes. He notified dorm and school authorities, who called police.

Lanier said police have identified and interviewed the students involved and the "investigation is ongoing."

"The support we've received from the campus and from the school employees has been tremendous," Lanier said. "And I think they're supporting us in making a very strong statement that this investigation may lead to charges that could have enhanced penalties for a hate crime."

The school is a residential high school on the campus of Gallaudet University, a higher education facility for deaf and hard of hearing people. The high school is administered as a division of the university's Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center.

Dean of Clerc Center Katherine A. Jankowski said the seven students who participated in the incident were sent home.

Gallaudet provost Stephen Weiner said the school does "not tolerate any action, behavior of this type."

"We are taking action," he said. "We are looking at programs to help students understand we are a school with a diverse population."

"This incident is intolerable," he said. "That's why the Metro police are involved. That's how serious we are about this incident."

Jankowski said the school has also hired a consultant to work with the school and its students on diversity issues.

On Monday, teachers and staff hosted a school-wide assembly with students related to the incident, said Jankowski. Individual and group counseling services were also available to students, teachers and staff.

"We are committed to ensuring MSSD is a safe and supportive learning environment," she said.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/03/deafschool.racial.incident/index.html
I hate to say it, Beach.  But I'm not surprised when I look at alot of the posts on this very site.   :-\

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 09:07:39 AM »
I hate to say it, Beach.  But I'm not surprised when I look at alot of the posts on this very site.   :-\

Sad but true. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 12:50:09 PM »

They were playing war games.  Apparently there was no ill intent at all. 

From my limited experience with groups of deaf individuals, they always seemed to have a "we're all the same" way about them, regardless of ethnicity. 

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 02:42:56 AM »

Sad to say, same here. :-\

My little cousin left the island for boarding school about 5 years back, nothing that bad happened to him, but there were quite a few incidents he experienced. One thing I will say it the school adminstration delt with them very well. He came back after 6 months though, as his parents sent him to get an education, not be treated like a second class citizen and fight hatred every day.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 04:17:01 AM »

You mean like a grown man calling another man Porch Monkey and worse and spitting in his face on this very site?
E

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2007, 05:02:41 AM »
Well, the did that because he couldn't hear them say "N****". I had to say it. From my experience in the MD court system, deaf people are some of the pushiest, asinine, and prejudice people--like they have chip on their shoulder.

It's sad what happened to that kid, and the fact that he had to learn about hate and racism that way.   

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2007, 05:26:39 AM »

True.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 08:40:57 AM »
Well, the did that because he couldn't hear them say "N****". I had to say it. From my experience in the MD court system, deaf people are some of the pushiest, asinine, and prejudice people--like they have chip on their shoulder.

It's sad what happened to that kid, and the fact that he had to learn about hate and racism that way.   

All the deaf kids I knew were funny, and just wanted to be part of the click.

Think about it though, can you really blame them? They most likely, have pre determined illusions that people are talking about them in a negative way.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 12:35:27 PM »
All the deaf kids I knew were funny, and just wanted to be part of the click.

Think about it though, can you really blame them? They most likely, have pre determined illusions that people are talking about them in a negative way.

Sometimes. But when I was dealing with them, they created problems due to their ignorance of the judicial system ( the procedural side), but would blow up at people even though it was no solution. For instance. Many times they have  called in for a ASL interpreter one week to a few days before their trial date, but ASL interpreters are hard to find in MD, so chances are we won't have one, and the case must be postponed. When they come to court and are told that---they blow the hell up. When they are that they should have given the court 2 weeks and it is explained on their paperwork, the act like they have been entitled to one in the first place, and they want a interpreter now, because we would get a non-deaf person one. I have even run into prejudiced  deaf people, yet I helped them anyway.

Again, that is only my experience where I used to work...I have meet plenty of deaf people who are cool, one of them is so built, the Mr. getbig would be his easily.   

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 12:40:49 PM »
Understandable, I heard of many cases where people are from other countries and pretend not to speak English...court case gets tossed since that county can not find a interpreter. Wonder if that can happen with the deaf.

I wish the Mr.Getbig had a popular vote, in place this year. Last year it made the board practically collapse, lol.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 12:53:27 PM »
Understandable, I heard of many cases where people are from other countries and pretend not to speak English...court case gets tossed since that county can not find a interpreter. Wonder if that can happen with the deaf.

I wish the Mr.Getbig had a popular vote, in place this year. Last year it made the board practically collapse, lol.

You don't know the half of it, I see that everyday, especially last night. Nobody knows English (but understand questions) and people have 3-4 diff names. And yes it has happened with the deaf. Actually I have helped them in this regard ( for minor traffic tickets) acting as a go between for them, and many times something can be worked out (and lots of paper in the process).

True about the Mr. Getbig....I hope the second place finisher does not crack like TA did last year...25 threads a day about how should have won messed everything up.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 04:29:55 PM »
When they are that they should have given the court 2 weeks and it is explained on their paperwork, the act like they have been entitled to one in the first place, and they want a interpreter now, because we would get a non-deaf person one.

But if the dependant spoke Spanish or Arabic, they'd have an interpreter by lunchtime. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 01:05:18 AM »
But if the dependant spoke Spanish or Arabic, they'd have an interpreter by lunchtime. 

Probably because there are more Spanish speaking people than there are deaf people.
w

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 04:15:55 AM »
Deaf people have a lot of grants available to them.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 03:39:52 PM »

No, they'd have a Spanish interpreter in 10-30 mins., if that.