Author Topic: Ramadan is IN!  (Read 641 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Ramadan is IN!
« on: October 04, 2007, 01:12:46 PM »
House of Congress Votes to Honor Ramadan
Jim Brown and Jody Brown
OneNewsNow.com
October 4, 2007

The U.S. House of Representatives has voted for the first time to honor the Islamic holiday of Ramadan, but some conservative lawmakers wanted no part of it.

The language of the resolution sponsored by Representative Eddie Bernice Johnson (D-Texas) reads: "Recognizing the commencement of Ramadan, the Islamic holy month of fasting and spiritual renewal, and commending Muslims in the United States and throughout the world for their faith." The measure passed 376-0, with 42 members voting "Present."

Among those who voted present was freshman Congressman Doug Lamborn (R-Colorado). "I couldn't bring myself to vote 'yes' on that resolution," he admits. "I hope that we have more and more moderate Muslims speaking out about the cause of peace in the future." Lamborn says a recent attempt in Congress to honor Christmas was met with a great deal of opposition.

His colleague GOP presidential candidate and Congressman Tom Tancredo (R-Colorado) also voted "present" on the measure. Tancredo released a press statement after the vote, citing the resolution as "an example of the degree to which political correctness has captured the political and media elite" in America.

"I am not opposed to commending any religion for their faith," he says in the statement. "The problem is that any attempt to do so for Jews or Christians is immediately condemned as 'breaching' the non-existent line between Church and State by the same elite."

Representative Scott Garrett of New Jersey says he too was "troubled" by the Ramadan resolution. "There were a number of members who, as we call it down here, 'stayed off' that vote and did not support it because I think that they looked at it as something that Congress really should not be doing, should not be picking one faith out and commending that faith."

Garrett says during his five years in Congress he does not remember the House ever approving a resolution commending Christians for celebrating Christmas or Easter.
All Original Content Copyright 2006-2007 American Family News Network - All Rights Reserved

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Ramadan is IN!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 02:05:55 PM »
House of Congress Votes to Honor Ramadan

"I am not opposed to commending any religion for their faith," he says in the statement. "The problem is that any attempt to do so for Jews or Christians is immediately condemned as 'breaching' the non-existent line between Church and State by the same elite."

This doesn't really bother me, but I agree with the preceding comment. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Re: Ramadan is IN!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 02:35:50 PM »
This doesn't really bother me, but I agree with the preceding comment. 
Same here.  I agree with what Tancredo is saying.