Author Topic: Olympia Superbowl references  (Read 1705 times)

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
Olympia Superbowl references
« on: October 04, 2007, 04:00:16 PM »
I'd just like to say next year i hope we can stop all superbowl/Olympia references.  The Olympia is NOT the superbowl.  I know the meaning is 'the superbowl is the biggest day in football' and the Olympia is suppose to be the same for bodybuilding.  My point is that if bodybuilding is ever to become more than a fringe sport we (the fans) need to stop referring to it as 'our superbowl' why? simple, by saying it is our superbowl all we do is cheapen the Olympia.  You don't hear baseball fans saying they can't wait for 'their superbowl' the world series do you? you don't hear NBA fans saying their finals are 'the superbowl' of basketball do you? No.  By saying it is the superbowl you take away the identity of it, you cheapen what it is.  The worlds best bodybuilders on stage (allegedly but that's for another time) competing to see who has the greatest physique on the planet. It's not the superbowl, never will be the superbowl so please next year instead of calling it the 'superbowl of bodybuilding' call it what it really is - the Olympia.

Thank you.
Abandon every hope...

marcus

• Getbig IV
Re: Olympia Superbowl references
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 04:02:53 PM »
You guys hear that this year's "Superbowl" of bodybuilding was fixed from the start?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 04:07:27 PM »
I'd just like to say next year i hope we can stop all superbowl/Olympia references.  The Olympia is NOT the superbowl.  I know the meaning is 'the superbowl is the biggest day in football' and the Olympia is suppose to be the same for bodybuilding.  My point is that if bodybuilding is ever to become more than a fringe sport we (the fans) need to stop referring to it as 'our superbowl' why? simple, by saying it is our superbowl all we do is cheapen the Olympia.  You don't hear baseball fans saying they can't wait for 'their superbowl' the world series do you? you don't hear NBA fans saying their finals are 'the superbowl' of basketball do you? No.  By saying it is the superbowl you take away the identity of it, you cheapen what it is.  The worlds best bodybuilders on stage (allegedly but that's for another time) competing to see who has the greatest physique on the planet. It's not the superbowl, never will be the superbowl so please next year instead of calling it the 'superbowl of bodybuilding' call it what it really is - the Olympia.

Thank you.

Why does this bother you so much? Whats the difference?

I myself, have referred to it as the "Superbowl of BB"...the "Fall Classic", and many other metaphor's.....stop taking things so literal.

marcus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 04:11:07 PM »
The Superbowl = the most anticipated and biggest competition in football. The Mr. Olympia is the same for bodybuilding only on a much smaller scale. So there's no reason not to use it. However I think it was used more this year due to the outcome of it. It's the same as watching two teams go at it when the outcome has already been predetermined. Saying "the Superbowl of bodybuilding" helps illustrate how big the outcome impacted the fans.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 04:28:39 PM »
You can't compare an event followed by a few thousand, to the Superbowl (one of the biggest events on the planet).  ::)
HAHA, RON.....

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 10:59:45 AM »

I myself, have referred to it as the "Superbowl of BB"...the "Fall Classic", and many other metaphor's.....stop taking things so literal.

because bodybuilding shouldn't be cheapened by reference's to other sports.  To me it feels like it's not good enough in peoples eyes so they have to use hype from another event to make it sound worth watching or following.
Abandon every hope...

Bruffy

• Getbig II
  • If it's not metal, it's crap!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 11:19:56 AM »
What is the big deal.  The term "Superbowl" is normally used as a comparison for those individuals who don't normally follow bodybuilding.
Example: 
Outsider: "Hey what are you doing this weekend?"
BB:         "I'm watching the Mr. Olympia."
Outsider: "WTF is the Mr. Olympia?"
BB:         "It's the SUPERBOWL of bodybuilding."
Outsider: "What's bodybuilding?"

I

Dorian01

• Getbig IV
  • Coach loves the sticky studs
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »
They call Wrestlemania the "superbowl of wrestling" and it didn't stop wrestling from getting pretty big.

Riddick

• Getbig II
  • There's no guarantee that you'll see the next day!
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 04:49:49 PM »

Thank you.

Did you just join the forum JUST to tell us how you feel?

Here is something to help you out:

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 04:52:43 PM »

Your desperation to associate oily men in thongs "battling it out" on stage with the word sport is a failed attempt indeed. Perhaps one should look to other hobbies?

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 04:53:26 PM »
They call Wrestlemania the "superbowl of wrestling" and it didn't stop wrestling from getting pretty big.

oh yeah because wrestling is a legitimate 'sport' huh?
Abandon every hope...

Riddick

• Getbig II
  • There's no guarantee that you'll see the next day!
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
oh yeah because wrestling is a legitimate 'sport' huh?

Wrestling is real. didn't you know that?