Author Topic: GETTING INTO STRONGMAN?!  (Read 3049 times)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
GETTING INTO STRONGMAN?!
« on: October 05, 2007, 05:53:39 AM »
I've been thinking about it alot lately and think I'd really enjoy doing a strongman event just for the sheer fun of it. It looks like a blast and even though I've never trained for it nor do I have the facility to,  I'd sure love to do one. How does one go about finding out about local strongman events?!
 ???

I know lift does them, and the more he talks about it the more I'd love to do it!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: GETTING INTO STRONGMAN?!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 09:28:54 AM »
NASS....North American Strongman Society, a guy down by you started it, the guy's name is Bill Holland, i think he turned it over to a guy from here in St. Louis named Willie Wessels the famous 242 class powerlifter who totalled 2400 officially, i think him and his wife Dionne run it now, they've got meets all over the place, google the name of the federation and there should be info on how to join.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 04:45:02 PM »
nastrongmaninc.com is the place to find upcoming events in your area. Whether or not you have trained the events you will tear it up! Just throw yourself in it and see how you come out. I always have a blast! Be aware that once you get into strongman you will never look at powerlifting the same. You may get pulled in to the whole scene and before you know it you have tires and stones and beaten plates all over the place.

Let us know which one you will be doing! And believe me, if you enter as novice you will destroy people.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 04:52:25 PM »
i did a couple of local level meets in it was some of the funnest times i've had in my life, very challenging but awesome nonetheless, we would do our regular gym training during the week and then all get together in the back gym parking lot where we had all the equipment and do 5-6 events and event training on Saturday mornings.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 05:16:04 PM »
That is the typical strongman group, haha!

How far did you get into it, squad? Did you win any NAS shows?

You're right though, best time I've ever had too! Every guy there is encouraging you to do better and understands what it takes to do this stuff. You really cant know what its like until you do a couple. I firmly believe that Strongman is going to be one of the biggest sports on the planet once people get into it and understand what it takes. Some European countries already see it this way (like Poland for example).

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 05:19:09 PM »
That is the typical strongman group, haha!

How far did you get into it, squad? Did you win any NAS shows?

You're right though, best time I've ever had too! Every guy there is encouraging you to do better and understands what it takes to do this stuff. You really cant know what its like until you do a couple. I firmly believe that Strongman is going to be one of the biggest sports on the planet once people get into it and understand what it takes. Some European countries already see it this way (like Poland for example).
exactly, a group of about 10-12 of us would get together on Sat. mornings and EVERYONE encouraged everyone else, i remember the first time i tried the farmers we were using 220 pound tanks and no bullshit i picked them up and stumbled 5 steps with them and there were guys my weight literally picking them up and practically running with them, that was my worst event but i got better at it eventually, the best i did was 2nd in one meet and 4th in two others.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 10:14:31 AM »
exactly, a group of about 10-12 of us would get together on Sat. mornings and EVERYONE encouraged everyone else, i remember the first time i tried the farmers we were using 220 pound tanks and no bullshit i picked them up and stumbled 5 steps with them and there were guys my weight literally picking them up and practically running with them, that was my worst event but i got better at it eventually, the best i did was 2nd in one meet and 4th in two others.

Good job bro! Yeah, the farmers are hard to get used to. Its all core and grip, two things that elude most people.

Wheres Wicked ???

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 08:34:28 AM »
MAn I've been talking to local powerlifting clubs and such. Looking on the net at strongman organizations and everything is in the midwest/east coast! A days drive away! I'm trying to find a place around here to see if they have a club where I cna get together with some guys to do some of this shit!

And I realized I'll be a bitch in the log lift...I'm only putting up a hair over 200lbs and I weight in the 240's! GOTTA BRING THAT SHIT UP!!!

I can't stop thinking about doing this stuff...I'd so love to be able to do it!

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 09:26:14 AM »
200 on the OHP with the other numbers you have!?!? I wasnt getting more than a sloppy 245 until I stopped prioritizing bench. When the bench muscles get really tight it limits the ROM on lockout overhead. Your front delts are pulling your arms back down and forward. Now I can get 300+ overhead. My bench is lame though. I might be able to hit a 405x1 but that doesnt matter in strongman. Throw in some fast and heavy 1/4 front squats for that leg drive you need in the overhead.

Check out my friend Dan's form on this. He IS all natural too! I shit you not!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZSTL9fyoj0

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 09:40:33 AM »
hahaha dude that is fucking awesome!

Yeah man my over head SUCKS ASS but I like doing it SO much better than seated military presses...it feels alot harder! I think I could do 225 for a double or so if I didn't do 135 and 185 for sets of 10-12 before trying it though HAHA!  ;D

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 01:01:54 PM »
MAn I've been talking to local powerlifting clubs and such. Looking on the net at strongman organizations and everything is in the midwest/east coast! A days drive away! I'm trying to find a place around here to see if they have a club where I cna get together with some guys to do some of this shit!

And I realized I'll be a bitch in the log lift...I'm only putting up a hair over 200lbs and I weight in the 240's! GOTTA BRING THAT SHIT UP!!!

I can't stop thinking about doing this stuff...I'd so love to be able to do it!
what the hell are you talking about, you live in Dallas, right? isn't Euless near Dallas? you've got Metroflex near there and there's a lot of guys who train strongman there.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 01:03:47 PM »
200 on the OHP with the other numbers you have!?!? I wasnt getting more than a sloppy 245 until I stopped prioritizing bench. When the bench muscles get really tight it limits the ROM on lockout overhead. Your front delts are pulling your arms back down and forward. Now I can get 300+ overhead. My bench is lame though. I might be able to hit a 405x1 but that doesnt matter in strongman. Throw in some fast and heavy 1/4 front squats for that leg drive you need in the overhead.

Check out my friend Dan's form on this. He IS all natural too! I shit you not!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZSTL9fyoj0
holy shit, if he did that in my old gym he'd be out on the street with his membership in his hands.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 01:11:13 PM »
holy shit, if he did that in my old gym he'd be out on the street with his membership in his hands.

Hahaha! 405 hitting the rack from 4 feet above it will usually get you tossed out! Must have messed that bar up.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 01:11:39 PM »

why?!?!

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 01:18:28 PM »
what the hell are you talking about, you live in Dallas, right? isn't Euless near Dallas? you've got Metroflex near there and there's a lot of guys who train strongman there.

yeah that's what i'm planning on doing tomorrow morning..calling metroflex and seeings what's up since I can't find any local clubs or comps going on and touch base with them about what facilities they have for it and how much they charge, etc. They're the only place I could think of here close that would have it.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 01:21:22 PM »
shit you've got that place Stroud's that JOJ and Branch used to train at too, that place looks pretty hardcore, i'll gaurantee if you look around it will be easy to find some strongman meets around there, Dallas is a huge city.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 01:22:59 PM »
why?!?!
i've trained at gyms owned by some extremely hard ass people who would throw you out for the slightest things like clicking db's together at the top of presses, dropping weights, not unloading bars and machines, etc. if it was my gym i'd do the same thing, good equipment is expensive.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 01:24:01 PM »
Hahaha! 405 hitting the rack from 4 feet above it will usually get you tossed out! Must have messed that bar up.
wasn't that Gold's Venice?

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 01:30:47 PM »
I believe it was Golds, yes.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2007, 05:38:21 AM »
BRIAN OVER AT METROFLEX HAS IT!!! HELL YES!! I'm going over there the first chance I get to check it out!!!