Author Topic: Barrera vs. Pacquiao  (Read 1877 times)

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
Barrera vs. Pacquiao
« on: October 06, 2007, 12:25:33 PM »
Probably Barrera's last fight, the rumors are that Barrera is in the shape of his life and looked like a beast in training, to the point to where Freddie Roach sent a spy into Barrera's training sessions to secretly record them.  Barrera will definately do better than he did last time, will he win?  Good question, I hope so, i'll be rootin for him.

Weigh-in
Predictions
 40/61

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Barrera vs. Pacquiao
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 12:50:29 PM »
Two of my all time favorites.  It's even harder for me to pick a winner this time than it was last time.  Manny just keeps getting better, he's gone from a great headhunter to a great boxer.  I think Manny will take it but Marco is going to make it a great one. 

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 01:00:07 PM »
Two of my all time favorites.  It's even harder for me to pick a winner this time than it was last time.  Manny just keeps getting better, he's gone from a great headhunter to a great boxer.  I think Manny will take it but Marco is going to make it a great one. 

Agreed, can't wait.
Predictions
 40/61

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 01:15:57 PM »
Definitely a classic match up.  I will be watching
A

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 07:43:45 AM »
at least the 3 fights on the undercard were pretty good,MAB pretty much just fought to survive but what could anyone espect from a guy that announced his retirement BEFORE the fight.....

always loved Barerra  but his legacy slipped a few rungs on the ladder after last night

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 09:18:16 AM »
I agree, he fought not to get knocked out instead of fighting to win.  Plus, I don't think that his corner was helping any by telling him he was winning the fight every round,  they should have instilled that sense of urgency and maybe he would have turned it on instead of throwing one or two shots at a time all night.  Pac-man is moving up to 135 after this fight, I think both Juan and Julio Diaz would make good opponents and give him all sorts of trouble.
Predictions
 40/61

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 04:38:30 PM »
I think both Juan and Julio Diaz would make good opponents and give him all sorts of trouble.

another option is to get manny in there with David Diaz (WBC champ) whose's not quite as experienced or dangerous,Manny started his career @ 108 so for him to get up to 135 with a title would be pretty amazing in it's self....

I think Julio would give him fits and I don't think manny watches up too well with Juan

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 08:48:02 AM »
I agree, he fought not to get knocked out instead of fighting to win.  Plus, I don't think that his corner was helping any by telling him he was winning the fight every round,  they should have instilled that sense of urgency and maybe he would have turned it on instead of throwing one or two shots at a time all night.  Pac-man is moving up to 135 after this fight, I think both Juan and Julio Diaz would make good opponents and give him all sorts of trouble.

The fight was little disapponting to say the least... Pac is a god in his country.. I remember them saying that the president gave him his own army bodyguards or something to that nature.... Crazy shit.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 09:42:50 AM »
The following is off the AP Newswire:

While Marco Antonio Barrera says farewell to boxing, Manny Pacquiao ready for new challenges

By GREG BEACHAM, AP Sports Writer
October 7, 2007

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Marco Antonio Barrera quietly signed autographs for eager fans, holding a pen in his left hand and his youngest daughter in his right arm.

Barrera's daughter curiously poked at the still-fresh cut on her daddy's right eye, fiddling away until the Mexican champion flinched ever so slightly.

Barrera wants to spend more time with his kids and less time in recovery. That's why the 33-year-old fighter, still a world-class competitor, but past his best nights,vows he's finished with boxing after losing a unanimous decision Saturday night in an entertaining rematch with Manny Pacquiao.

"This is my last fight inside this beautiful sport," Barrera said Saturday night while his trainer, Sendai Tanaka, quietly wept a few feet away. "I say goodbye to this beautiful sport, but I fought the best fighters. I fought my best tonight. I'm happy."

While many a brash boxer has reneged on a threatened retirement, Barrera doesn't seem to be bluffing. He's a serious, wealthy man who has never pretended to walk away before. Plus, Barrera probably sees he's not up to the lofty standard set by Pacquiao despite the Mexican champion's valiant effort in the rematch of their 2003 bout.

"He is a great champion," Pacquiao said. "I am very honored to beat him."

In front of a spirited, nationalistic crowd at Mandalay Bay, Pacquiao failed to put Barrera on the canvas, the first time that Philippines' favorite son didn't register a knockdown in seven fights since his last loss to Erik Morales in March 2005.

Barrera never hurt Pacquiao, except for a shady blow while the referee separated them in the 11th round, leaving Pacquiao momentarily woozy against the ropes. The slight was forgotten when Pacquiao led the standing ovation for Barrera at their post-fight news conference.

Pacquiao's victory was another boon to his native Philippines, currently bedeviled by battles between government troops and Marxist and Muslim insurgents. Some troops were drawn away from combat duties so they could watch the bout, while millions of fans emptied Manila's usually packed streets.

Freddie Roach, Pacquiao's trainer, was content with almost every aspect of his easily distracted superstar's effort, though it's easy to sense Roach's mild frustration with the minor weaknesses that prevent Pacquiao from being essentially perfect.

"Manny's in-and-out motion and the feints slowed (Barrera) down a lot," Roach said. "Manny's footwork was too much for him. He was fighting a smarter fight. Speed and power is not enough to stay in this game forever. I want him to keep working."

While Barrera's skills might have slipped a bit, Pacquiao still seems to be at his peak, and he has plenty of options for his next step, including a move up to lightweight.

"We've been talking about it," Roach said, adding that Pacquiao gained 14 pounds between Friday's weigh-in and fight night. "I think he definitely can fight at 135. It's getting a little harder to get down to 130, and I think he's ready to step up."

Pacquiao's most intriguing future prospect at 130 pounds might be a rematch with Juan Manuel Marquez, who fought Pacquiao to an entertaining draw in 2004.

Pacquiao knocked down Marquez three times in the first round of that fight, but Marquez rallied fiercely. Marquez faces Rocky Juarez on Nov. 3 in Las Vegas in a bout that was postponed from Sept. 14. Since promoters Oscar De La Hoya and Bob Arum have settled their long-standing legal battles, Pacquiao might be eager to take on another Golden Boy power.

Joan Guzman also appeared at Saturday night's news conference to publicly challenge Pacquiao, though Arum said Guzman should be worrying more about his 130-pound fight with Humberto Soto on Nov. 17.

Both would be compelling matchups for Pacquiao, as would David Diaz, the WBC champion who knocked Morales into retirement in August.

"I'll be happy whoever I fight," Pacquiao said. "I don't want to compare my talent. I just think I'm an ordinary fighter, that I can fight a good fighter or the best fighter. I don't think I'm the best."