Author Topic: Great spotter...  (Read 3298 times)

flapjack

• Getbig II
Great spotter...
« on: October 07, 2007, 01:08:38 PM »

Monster81

• Getbig IV
Re: Great spotter...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 01:13:57 PM »
lol,......that guy will never be the same again

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 01:17:10 PM »
they're both douchebags.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2007, 01:19:54 PM »
How many of you know people who know how to spot correctly?

When I ask somebody in the gym to spot me while max benching it's only because I need somebody to lift the weigt of my chest when I maxed out... I have no faith in anybody "catching" the weight if it slips.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2007, 01:21:18 PM »
It's called a suicide grip for a reason! It'll make your nuts shake everytime going thumbless!  I've seen a few near misses in my local gym already. Guys see me using it so they try it and bounce the bar around all in the cage and shit. I tell them to either use their thumbs because their lil bitch hands are too small to do it well enough or chalk up and ignore the no chalk sign if they think it's more comfortable.

affy

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 01:23:20 PM »
that turd looks like he would have trouble pushing 115lbs

and he's using a thumbless grip thinking he's arnold or dorian..hahahaha...what a toolbag

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2007, 01:24:40 PM »
How many of you know people who know how to spot correctly?

When I ask somebody in the gym to spot me while max benching it's only because I need somebody to lift the weigt of my chest when I maxed out... I have no faith in anybody "catching" the weight if it slips.

They make the cage and the smith machine for this very reason. You can go balls out without worrying about a spotter.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2007, 01:25:08 PM »
It's called a suicide grip for a reason! It'll make your nuts shake everytime going thumbless!  I've seen a few near misses in my local gym already. Guys see me using it so they try it and bounce the bar around all in the cage and shit. I tell them to either use their thumbs because their lil bitch hands are too small to do it well enough or chalk up and ignore the no chalk sign if they think it's more comfortable.
i'm so used to going thumbless that i wouldn't know how to train wrapping my thumbs around.

Monster81

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 01:35:46 PM »
imo,,,doin it thumbless takes some of the load and stress from ur wrists and shoulders and put it on ur chest which is an advantage,,,......ive seen some guys use straps if doin it thumbless with heavy weights

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 01:42:23 PM »
i'm so used to going thumbless that i wouldn't know how to train wrapping my thumbs around.

YEAH I'M SO USED TO THUMBLESS THAT IT'S JUST SECOND NATURE!

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 01:51:21 PM »
damn that is nasty.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2007, 01:54:58 PM »
death.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 02:46:59 PM »
same here.

bench

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 02:54:47 PM »

They make the cage and the smith machine for this very reason. You can go balls out without worrying about a spotter.

Don't like the Smith I don't get the same kinda workout it feals like cheating

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 03:06:17 PM »
It wasn't the spotters fault AT ALL. What could he do? Nothing.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 03:20:38 PM »
The spotter was totally cool. The lifter is the idiot. No spotter in the world could have caught that bar.
a

bigbadwolfe

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Bigger Stronger Fatter then you!!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 03:44:03 PM »
First thing like all of you have already said Thumbless is very very dangerous. So why use it when doing that kind of weight. My guesstimation is that was around 300 pounds, my God you know that hurt!!! But the blame is not all on the kid, the spotter was fucking pathetic!!! The first thing he does on the first hand off is throw his damn hands in the air. WTF is that about???? And then on the second the stupid fuck does it again, looks like a highschool gym and he is prolly there strength coach, NICE real FUKK'n Nice!!! Stupid fukks like him piss me off badly!!!!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 03:45:13 PM »
First thing like all of you have already said Thumbless is very very dangerous. So why use it when doing that kind of weight. My guesstimation is that was around 300 pounds, my God you know that hurt!!! But the blame is not all on the kid, the spotter was fucking pathetic!!! The first thing he does on the first hand off is throw his damn hands in the air. WTF is that about???? And then on the second the stupid fuck does it again, looks like a highschool gym and he is prolly there strength coach, NICE real FUKK'n Nice!!! Stupid fukks like him piss me off badly!!!!
i would have thought you were a thumbless grip guy, Mike.

Captain Slin

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 05:20:01 PM »

ditto. when i saw the arnold pics in the encylopedia looong ass time ago i was just learning and i was like.. oh.. his thumb is outside.. thats how you do it lol and i just learned how to lift w/o thumbs.

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 05:33:41 PM »

I used to be until I dropped one and bounced 3 plates off my chest. Luckily I was doing close grips and had a pad on my chest.

bigbadwolfe

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
  • Bigger Stronger Fatter then you!!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 05:57:19 PM »
i would have thought you were a thumbless grip guy, Mike.

Hell no!!! I did that one time in Chicago casue I was having trouble with my shirt touching so I switched to se if it would help. Shit aint nothing like having 800 plus dangling in the air with out that thumb wrapped. NEVER AGAIN for me!!!!

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 06:28:51 PM »
I prefer the "thumb's up" grip where you keep the thumbs running along the bar

I think I saw Ronnie doing it once . . .

flapjack

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2007, 07:10:43 PM »
The spotter should never have taken his hands away after the kid pushed it into the rack the first time. Sure, I don't think the kid should have been using a thumbless grip, but this "accident" is clearly the fault of the spotter. Also the fact that he is older, you would think he would know better??? ::)

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2007, 07:28:49 PM »
they're both douchebags.

agreed....

spotters are there so the weight doesnt get stuck AFTER lifting it.......or helping you rack/ unrack the weight if you need help...

no spotter on the planet could of helped that shitstain....

a spotter isnt supposed to be able to catch hundreds of pounds falling at the speed of gravity...

douchebags X 2

Beener

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2007, 08:00:17 PM »
I prefer the "thumb's up" grip where you keep the thumbs running along the bar

I think I saw Ronnie doing it once . . .

Hah weird i do the same thing! I never noticed ronnie do it, but if i wrap my thumb around like normal, i get a peircing pain in my left hand, but im also affraid of the bar slippin, so this method kinda helps with both.