Author Topic: Muay Thai versus Karate part II  (Read 11720 times)

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
Re: Muay Thai versus Karate part II
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2007, 05:14:18 PM »
I just wanted to make sure it wasn't an attempt at being humerous, but apparantely you're serious.

So you stick by your opinion that Muay Thai, is tougher than other martial arts, because Muay Thai, have a tougher warm up than other martial arts.

Interesting.  ::)

Having studied Karate, Systema, Boxing and Muay Thai, I officially feel that MT has a more rigorous warm up session then I ever had in karate. In Karate I wasn't sweating buckets after 30 minutes of warming up with high energy intense cardio.. in fact it was pretty mild compared to MT where we keep going like machines for 30-45 minutes straight..  That's my personal opinion :)

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2007, 05:14:43 PM »
it can be, it is what you make it. same with boxing or some styles of karate.

You won't be spending 15-30 minutes a class doing kata's, or practicing against non resisting opponents.  At both MT schools I trained at, it was 100 mph from the minute you started.  You should know this, you had 19 fights.  

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2007, 05:16:34 PM »
Having studied Karate, Systema, Boxing and Muay Thai, I officially feel that MT has a more rigorous warm up session then I ever had in karate. In Karate I wasn't sweating buckets after 30 minutes of warming up with high energy intense cardio.. in fact it was pretty mild compared to MT where we keep going like machines for 30-45 minutes straight..  That's my personal opinion :)

well make that 1 hour next time and you'll spend all energy before even the real training starts, sounds very smart  ::)

Z

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2007, 05:21:48 PM »
well make that 1 hour next time and you'll spend all energy before even the real training starts, sounds very smart  ::)

In all honesty, have you ever been in a real Muay Thai class ?!? or was it Tae Bo or some other kind of Fitness Kickboxing designed for teenage girls ??..

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2007, 05:25:35 PM »
In all honesty, have you ever been in a real Muay Thai class ?!? or was it Tae Bo or some other kind of Fitness Kickboxing designed for teenage girls ??..

yes. and i never spent more than 15 minutes warming up. the key is the same as bodybuilding - warm up but not to the point where it will affect your training negatively.

hope this helps.
Z

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2007, 05:52:09 PM »
Bluto is correct. It depends on the school how they train. I basically covered this in my response.
I've seen kickboxing schools that look more like an aerobics class but I don't count that as "real" kickboxing.
It's funny how many people bust a nut over Muay-Thai like it's the greatest standup.
Andy Hug beat the hell out of the Muay-Thai guys, and a karate guy holds the K-1 cup today!

Next thing they'll be saying Bruce Lee was the first Mixed Martial Artist hahaha.
TEAM REPTILIAN

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2007, 05:56:52 PM »
muay thai is the best

been training for about 3 years.  keeps you in great shape.

love throwing knees and elbows.

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2007, 06:01:08 PM »
muay thai is the best

been training for about 3 years.  keeps you in great shape.

love throwing knees and elbows.

Karate throws knees and elbows too.  And the champion of standup fighting is a Seidokaikan fighter. :o
TEAM REPTILIAN

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2007, 06:03:06 PM »
Karate throws knees and elbows too.  And the champion of standup fighting is a Seidokaikan fighter. :o

Karate's a joke, it's for little kids.. good luck using your karate in a street fight..  I bounce on the weekends, in 7 years of bouncing karate has done ZILCH for me, while muay thai has kept me from getting my face fucked up and jaw broken.

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2007, 06:07:46 PM »
Karate's a joke, it's for little kids.. good luck using your karate in a street fight..  I bounce on the weekends, in 7 years of bouncing karate has done ZILCH for me, while muay thai has kept me from getting my face fucked up and jaw broken.

The world champion of standup fighting is a Seidokaikan fighter!  :o

You don't know anything about real karate. Sounds like some mom and pop Tae Kwon Do class.
TEAM REPTILIAN

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2007, 06:13:57 PM »
The world champion of standup fighting is a Seidokaikan fighter!  :o

You don't know anything about real karate. Sounds like some mom and pop Tae Kwon Do class.

I know about enough fighting in 'street' situation and inside packed clubs to tell you that Karate in the *REAL* world is USELESS. It's great for exhibition's and tournaments, but in a real life fight situation it's not very useful, the strict stances make it too rigid to fight and defend against another trained fighter, esp. if the opponent has a wrestling or jiu jitsu background.

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2007, 06:14:40 PM »
"There were "Karate vs. Muay Thai fights" February 12, 1963. The 3 karate fighters from Oyama dojo (Kyokushin later) went to the Lumpinee Boxing Stadium in Thailand, and fought against 3 Muay Thai fighters. The 3 karate fighters' names are Tadashi Nakamura, Kenji Kurosaki and Akio Fujihira (as known as Noboru Osawa). Japan won by 2-1 then."

"Beating the hell out of the Muay-Thai guys since 1963."

The stances aren't strict in actual sparring and tournaments.
Jiu-Jitsu isn't the best in a brawl because cops or someone's "bros" can show up while you're rolling around.
The current world champ of standup fighting all styles is a Seidokaikan fighter.
TEAM REPTILIAN

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2007, 09:35:55 PM »
watch the latest silva vs franklin fight, great muay thai skills.

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2007, 10:00:21 PM »
watch the latest silva vs franklin fight, great muay thai skills.

Silva yes, Franklin no.

He's just not on Silva's level athletically. He's Dana's golden boy though.
TEAM REPTILIAN

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2007, 10:03:14 PM »
  what about Tank Abbott?  ;)

What dicipline is that?

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2007, 10:03:37 PM »

What dicipline is that?

Benching 600
TEAM REPTILIAN

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2007, 10:08:58 PM »

What dicipline is that?

Fat lazy drunk who landed some bombs against people who wouldn't even make dark matches now a days. TANK SUCKS AS MUCH AS KIMBO.... :o :o :o

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2007, 11:18:14 PM »
Fat lazy drunk who landed some bombs against people who wouldn't even make dark matches now a days. TANK SUCKS AS MUCH AS KIMBO.... :o :o :o

Nah Tank just got old. He was a top guy 10 plus years ago. He almost beat Don Frye. He was a force in a standup war circa 93
TEAM REPTILIAN

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2007, 02:15:05 AM »
Bluto is correct. It depends on the school how they train. I basically covered this in my response.
I've seen kickboxing schools that look more like an aerobics class but I don't count that as "real" kickboxing.
It's funny how many people bust a nut over Muay-Thai like it's the greatest standup.
Andy Hug beat the hell out of the Muay-Thai guys, and a karate guy holds the K-1 cup today!

Next thing they'll be saying Bruce Lee was the first Mixed Martial Artist hahaha.

You do realise that Andy Hug lost to Ernesto Hoost thrice, and Peter Aerts twice.  And I know you will call them kickboxers, but most people know them as thai boxers.

The reason a karateka is the K1 champ is because under K1 rules, and K1 rules will not allow elbows to the head, no clinching/elbowing, or clinching/kneeing.  If you do one, you can't do the other.  Taking away some of the benefits limits the effectiveness of muay thai. 

If you search youtube, you will find a fight between Changpuek Kiatsongrit versus Hug in kyoshukin rules.  The first round, the lighter Kiatsongrit was killing Hug.  He wanted to clinch, but was chastised by the ref.  This is the same fighter who made Rick Roufus, and brother Duke become Thai fighters after he destroyed Rick in a kickboxing match. 

You talk about Lyoto supplementing his karate with muay thai, why don't muay thai fighters supplement with karate?  Anderson Silva got his black belt in TKD before starting muay thai, is he considered a TKD stylist.  GSP, Bas, got started in kyoshukin, but all of them gravitated toward muay thai.  WHY?  I don't think GSP is training karate when he trains with his primary stand up coach Phil Nurse.  Duke Roufus was an American kickboxer who now teaches Muay Thai under Master Toddy.  Why?  Xtreme Couture and all the camps listed above have Thai trainers, but no Karate, WHY?

Again, Karate does have it's merits, but please, if you will, address these questions.  Anderson Silva's, Alan Belcher's Muay Thai looked pretty good tonight, didn't it? 

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2007, 08:37:09 AM »
Nah Tank just got old. He was a top guy 10 plus years ago. He almost beat Don Frye. He was a force in a standup war circa 93

Please just don't say anything ridiculous like Tank in his prime would be a top ten fighter now... TANK SUCKS and ALWAYS HAS!

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2007, 04:25:24 PM »
Please just don't say anything ridiculous like Tank in his prime would be a top ten fighter now... TANK SUCKS and ALWAYS HAS!

Skill wise, 100% agreed.. he did have one hell of a right hand though... WOW

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2007, 04:28:28 PM »
tank would beat most people in a street fight
Z

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2007, 04:52:45 PM »
You do realise that Andy Hug lost to Ernesto Hoost thrice, and Peter Aerts twice.  And I know you will call them kickboxers, but most people know them as thai boxers.

The reason a karateka is the K1 champ is because under K1 rules, and K1 rules will not allow elbows to the head, no clinching/elbowing, or clinching/kneeing.  If you do one, you can't do the other.  Taking away some of the benefits limits the effectiveness of muay thai. 

If you search youtube, you will find a fight between Changpuek Kiatsongrit versus Hug in kyoshukin rules.  The first round, the lighter Kiatsongrit was killing Hug.  He wanted to clinch, but was chastised by the ref.  This is the same fighter who made Rick Roufus, and brother Duke become Thai fighters after he destroyed Rick in a kickboxing match. 

You talk about Lyoto supplementing his karate with muay thai, why don't muay thai fighters supplement with karate?  Anderson Silva got his black belt in TKD before starting muay thai, is he considered a TKD stylist.  GSP, Bas, got started in kyoshukin, but all of them gravitated toward muay thai.  WHY?  I don't think GSP is training karate when he trains with his primary stand up coach Phil Nurse.  Duke Roufus was an American kickboxer who now teaches Muay Thai under Master Toddy.  Why?  Xtreme Couture and all the camps listed above have Thai trainers, but no Karate, WHY?

Again, Karate does have it's merits, but please, if you will, address these questions.  Anderson Silva's, Alan Belcher's Muay Thai looked pretty good tonight, didn't it? 

I already answered all this in my long post. Shit, I'm going to start quoting myself.
There would be no point in Bas continuing to train karate because he's already and expert, and the additional moves they teach in karate aren't ring-legal. He already learned how to do a front kick and a roundhouse kick expertly in karate
before he ever started Muay-Thai.
How many katas and bareknuckle matches has he already been through in knockdown karate? Thousands.
It would be a waste of time to continue practicing this

He's been there done that, and he'll still use it in a street fight. He's an expert in karate.
Muay-Thai means more time he can train for the ring-legal strikes. In a recent interview he said he still does katas though.

The rest of your post is speculation. True Muay-Thai guys train more in the clinch, but they don't have Andy's signature axe kick, spinning back kicks, side kicks, etc. All those kicks take real training to use effectively,
 so you won't so it from the sloppy hayseeds Dana promotes on the UFC, cept from GSP.
In fact, I rarely see a decend front or roundhouse kick from UFC fighters, save GSP and thats from training in Karate 10 + years.

Clinching is grappling. All things being equal, size and strength, I believe the very best karate guy will beat the very best Muay-Thai guy. Like I said though, Karate has all the techniques of Muay-Thai and more, thus it takes longer to become good at it. What opponent are Muay Thai guys facing when they punch a bag? Is that a resisting opponent?

This thread is called Muay-Thai vs. Karate...

Well guess what, Muay-Thai vs. Karate already happened in 1963 and the Karate guys won 2 - 1 in Lumpinee stadium, Thailand
long before people started crosstraining I might add.
TEAM REPTILIAN

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2007, 06:13:48 PM »
Someone needs to find that youtube video where a Muay Thai fighter absolutely destroys a Tae Kwon Do (similar to Karate) fighter in the ring... the TKD guys moves have absolutely no effect on the MT fighter.

realkarateblackbelt

• Getbig IV
  • Numero UNO!!!!!!!
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2007, 06:52:58 PM »
Someone needs to find that youtube video where a Muay Thai fighter absolutely destroys a Tae Kwon Do (similar to Karate) fighter in the ring... the TKD guys moves have absolutely no effect on the MT fighter.

Here you are. Same guy that lost here to the kyokushin (full-contact) guy.
Tae Kwon Do isn't that similar because they don't do nearly as much full-contact training if any as they do in knockdown karate.
It might be different in Korea but I don't know. A Tae Kwon Do guy that cross trains in kickboxing could be very good. The arsenal of kicks are the same as all the principal standup styles. It's the conditioning that puts TKD guys behind other Karate and Muay-Thai.

Here's an example of a TKD guy that's "ring-ready"

TEAM REPTILIAN