Author Topic: Bush, Congress say NO to Armenian Genocide  (Read 1913 times)

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
Bush, Congress say NO to Armenian Genocide
« on: October 10, 2007, 02:22:02 PM »
I wonder if in 100-200 years that with increased Palestinian political clout we will no longer recognize the Jewish Holocaust in order to appease Palestinians.  In France and Switzerland, amongst other European nations, it is illegal to deny any facet of the Armenian Genocide, in which 1.5 Armenians were slaughtered by the Ottoman Empire in 1915.  I'm confused as to exactly how and why systematically killing 1.5 million people does not constitute as genocide in the eyes of the US and Israel.  I can't believe politics and an entire "what if" policy of speculation are the key components in not officially recognizing an historical fact.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/10/10/us.turkey.armenians/index.html

White House: Genocide resolution would hurt relations with key ally Bush says passage of resolution would cause "great harm"

House resolution calls killing of Armenians during World War I "genocide"

Condoleezza Rice says Turkish support critical to U.S. efforts in Mideast
Turkish president says passage of resolution would create a "backlash"

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Bush and key figures in his administration lobbied hard Wednesday against a House resolution that labels the killings of Armenians in Turkey during World War I as "genocide."

President Bush urges the House not to pass a resolution he says would harm U.S. relations with Turkey.
The president, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Defense Secretary Robert Gates said passage of the resolution would hurt relations with an important U.S. ally.
Bush urged lawmakers to oppose the resolution, which he said would cause "great harm" to U.S. relations with Turkey, which he called a key ally in NATO and the "global war on terror."
"We all deeply regret the tragic suffering of the Armenian people that began in 1915. This resolution is not the right response to those historic mass killings," Bush said at the White House.
A similar resolution passed the committee by a 40-7 vote two years ago, but it never reached the full House floor. House Republican leader John Boehner, noting the critical military and strategic alliance with Turkey, said bringing the resolution to the floor would be "totally irresponsible."

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
Re: Bush, Congress say NO to Armenian Genocide
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 07:10:55 PM »
Don't kid yourself - these guys never have any principles where money or oil is involved.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2007, 07:13:42 PM »
Good.

I wanna keep gas prices under $3 bucks.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2007, 07:46:40 PM »
WTF? Just about every civilized country acknowledges the Armenian Genocide. Why can't the USA?  :-\
w

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2007, 07:48:50 PM »
WTF? Just about every civilized country acknowledges the Armenian Genocide. Why can't the USA?  :-\

did it make the newspapers over here?

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2007, 07:58:05 PM »

Most people who are intelligent can look it up for themselves.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 08:02:08 PM »
Most people who are intelligent can look it up for themselves.

I guess that rules out the majority of the citizenry of your country huh?  ;D
w

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 02:17:20 PM »
Most Americans cannot even spell Armenia, let alone identify where it is on a map. 

I do not know much about their history or their culture, but I've really liked and admired almost every Armenian-American that I've ever met. 

I think Armenian women are beautiful!

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 09:13:04 PM »
Most Americans cannot even spell Armenia, let alone identify where it is on a map. 

I do not know much about their history or their culture, but I've really liked and admired almost every Armenian-American that I've ever met. 

I think Armenian women are beautiful!

The funny thing is people say the Jews know how to make money. {lol}
Man-oh-man, ...they've obviously never seen an Armenian in action!
w

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 06:05:39 AM »

it was recognized by the us when it was happening...read your history before you make your point.

plus, if you can't see this as a political issue you need to stop selling those gas caps and start reading newspapers...
footloose and fancy free

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 10:53:00 AM »

Armenians are all business and I've enjoyed all my previous dealings with them.