Author Topic: Think I might get a Great Dane too someday  (Read 11781 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Think I might get a Great Dane too someday
« on: October 12, 2007, 08:58:34 AM »
My neighbor just adopted a Great Dane/Lab mix from a rescue center.  He's the coolest looking pup.  He's only 1 (they said he was 2, but his mom and I think he's much younger...acts much more like a 1 yr-old pup).  She has a 2 yr-old Bull Mastiff named Stella who she brings to the bus stop every morning.  Stella is the sweetest dog.  My youngest daughter is crazy about her.  Anyway, the Great Dane pup, Sirius, has been wearing Stella out!!!!  Sirius is so goofy and his legs are going every which way!  lol  He's so awkward right now, but had a fantastic disposition.  He's going to be a great dog. 

When I get a Newfoundland, I think I might get a Great Dane too.  Very cool looking dogs. 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Think I might get a Great Dane too someday
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 10:20:25 AM »
Great dogs Ro!  You should get the puppies soon so you can post their pics here  :)

Have you posted Maggie and Buster's pics on this board yet  >:(   (I think I have a pic of them somewhere)

She has a 2 yr-old Bull Mastiff named Stella who she brings to the bus stop every morning.  Stella is the sweetest dog. 

Stella is a good dog name  :)

Ro, did you see Geo's niece-dog Stella:

R

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 07:13:47 PM »
Great dogs Ro!  You should get the puppies soon so you can post their pics here  :)

Have you posted Maggie and Buster's pics on this board yet  >:(   (I think I have a pic of them somewhere)

Stella is a good dog name  :)

Ro, did you see Geo's niece-dog Stella:

I haven't been able to find my pics of Buster and Maggie.  If you find the one I sent you before I do feel free to post it.   :)

Yeah, I like the name too.  Stella the Bull Mastiff represents the name well.  :D  She's a great pup. 

Can't get big dogs like that until the kids are much bigger.  I was supposed to get the Newfie for my 40th birthday, but we kept having kids.   :P   

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 07:33:46 AM »
Great Danes are GREAT dogs!!     :D  They are "puppies" til about 3 years, then they start to calm down a bit.    ::)

They are good with kids but sometimes don't know their size and around young kids could mistakenly knock them down.  But lots of people do have them around young kids.   An older dog might be better around young children, one that has settled down a bit. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 01:07:29 PM »
I was just talking about getting a big dog this morning.  My little one and I were walking on the beach at sunrise and saw some HUGE dogs.  As big as a Great Dane, but different.

Are Great Danes high maintenance dogs?   

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 03:26:26 PM »
Are Great Danes high maintenance dogs?   

No.  They do need exercise but not as much as some dogs. Of course bigger dog means bigger bills, food, beds (or couches!), vetting, etc.   Having a vehicle big enough to transport them comfortably and fit other stuff in if you have too  ::).   Dane proofing your house is a bit different than with shorter dogs because they can easily reach tables and counter tops. Or a wagging tale can easily clean off an end table. 

They do on average have a shorter life span, about 7-9 years, but I have heard of 11 and 12 year olds. 

One of the top reasons people give up their Dane is "it got too big".
  :-\ 

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 03:31:01 PM »

When I get a Newfoundland

hope you live someplace cool.  One of my neighbors has one . . . and she also has an air-conditioned dog-house.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 04:26:35 PM »
Also.....if you want a Great Dane....you need a big couch.

They won't sleep, lounge, or nap on floors.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 04:39:42 PM »
No.  They do need exercise but not as much as some dogs. Of course bigger dog means bigger bills, food, beds (or couches!), vetting, etc.   Having a vehicle big enough to transport them comfortably and fit other stuff in if you have too  ::).   Dane proofing your house is a bit different than with shorter dogs because they can easily reach tables and counter tops. Or a wagging tale can easily clean off an end table. 

They do on average have a shorter life span, about 7-9 years, but I have heard of 11 and 12 year olds. 

The "got too big" bullshit amazes me and is a testiment to human stupidity. 

I will say, the Dogo I've got now is the biggest dog I've ever owned (he's filled out to about 126-127 lbs) and he is one BIG dog.   I've always been a big dog fan, but I can see where having one his size or bigger can present problems.   I used to load my lab (he weighed 90 lbs) and both staffies in my ranger---with me and 190 lbs of dog in the truck, it was fully.   With the dogo, he simply won't fit in the ranger with any of the other dogs, even the puppy.   He also makes a great door standing on the steps when you try to move around in my house or off the back porch.   ;D

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 04:55:55 PM »
Also.....if you want a Great Dane....you need a big couch.

They won't sleep, lounge, or nap on floors.

LOL!!  Some people do enforce the no pets on the furniture rule.  But once you have let them do it, it is hard to stop them.  That goes for any dog, just with a Dane or other big dog they take up more room!

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 04:58:51 PM »
The "got too big" bullshit amazes me and is a testiment to human stupidity. 

I will say, the Dogo I've got now is the biggest dog I've ever owned (he's filled out to about 126-127 lbs) and he is one BIG dog.   I've always been a big dog fan, but I can see where having one his size or bigger can present problems.   I used to load my lab (he weighed 90 lbs) and both staffies in my ranger---with me and 190 lbs of dog in the truck, it was fully.   With the dogo, he simply won't fit in the ranger with any of the other dogs, even the puppy.   He also makes a great door standing on the steps when you try to move around in my house or off the back porch.   ;D

Yeah, people are stupid.  It's not like you don't know the average size beforehand. 

The vet tech today told me she has an Irish Wolfhound.  I actually considered them at one point, but they are just too big.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2007, 05:10:57 PM »
Yeah, people are stupid.  It's not like you don't know the average size beforehand. 

The vet tech today told me she has an Irish Wolfhound.  I actually considered them at one point, but they are just too big.

LOL. I love wolfhounds.   When I was a vet student, one of the receptionists had one.  SHe was all of 4'10 and maybe 100 lbs and the dog was well over 3 feet to the shoulder and about 165 lbs.  He was a BIG wolfhound.  It was hysterical to see her walking him.   She said he was the best protection she'd ever had because no one messed with her or him becaue he was so big.   He was a great dog too.  ;D

I've considered wolfhounds, but feel like I don't have enough yard/room for them.   Once my wife and I buy our next place, they may be on the list of dog breeds to consider when I'm looking for another dog. 

I'm sure my homeowners insurance is going to love us---pits, dogos, wolfhounds, and all the other crap I've got   ::)

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2007, 05:27:21 PM »
well....Marmaduke had his own couch in the comic strips

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2007, 08:30:50 PM »

Thanks.  The short life span worries me.  Few things more traumatic than when a pet dies.

I will not have an indoor dog, especially one as big as a Great Dane.  I guess they need a big yard too.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2007, 09:54:27 PM »
Thanks.  The short life span worries me.  Few things more traumatic than when a pet dies.

I will not have an indoor dog, especially one as big as a Great Dane.  I guess they need a big yard too.

Not counting size issues because yes a Dane in a 1 bedroom apartment would be a little cluttered...

the size of a house or yard is irrelevant to owning any dog.  Exercise should come from proper walks, no dog goes into a yard and exercises himself.  Playing fetch and frisbee, etc. is a bonus, albeit a very helpful bonus, and a bonus that every dog should have the privilege of, but walks should be the focus and centerpiece for every dog.  A mastiff can live in a one bedroom apartment, with no yard, for his entire life and be completely fulfilled in every way.

My dog won't even go in the yard by himself.  If i let him out in the yard he just follows me around, like he does every day in the house.  So if i shut the back door he will just look through the glass at me.  There's been times when I've left him outside for 5-10min and he will just lay down and wait.  It is kind of funny.  Dogs want to be with their owners, and next to maybe laying on the bed or the floor with you, lol, their #1 desire is to go for a walk with you.  Cherish that fact.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2007, 05:59:35 AM »
Great Danes are GREAT dogs!!     :D  They are "puppies" til about 3 years, then they start to calm down a bit.    ::)

They are good with kids but sometimes don't know their size and around young kids could mistakenly knock them down.  But lots of people do have them around young kids.   An older dog might be better around young children, one that has settled down a bit. 

Sirius seems like he would fit right in with my kids, at least my older three.  My 2yr-old needs a BIG dog and the goofier the better.   :D

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 06:02:30 AM »
hope you live someplace cool.  One of my neighbors has one . . . and she also has an air-conditioned dog-house.
I'm actually relocating to a cooler climate, so that will be good.  Newfie's are great dogs. 

Same here, bro.   :-\  I'm really attached to my dogs, and I'm having a hard time already with my two mutts getting older.  Not handling it well.  But I think the 7-10 years of joy that these bigger dogs could bring to my family is worth the memories. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 05:34:59 PM »
Not counting size issues because yes a Dane in a 1 bedroom apartment would be a little cluttered...

the size of a house or yard is irrelevant to owning any dog.  Exercise should come from proper walks, no dog goes into a yard and exercises himself.  Playing fetch and frisbee, etc. is a bonus, albeit a very helpful bonus, and a bonus that every dog should have the privilege of, but walks should be the focus and centerpiece for every dog.  A mastiff can live in a one bedroom apartment, with no yard, for his entire life and be completely fulfilled in every way.

My dog won't even go in the yard by himself.  If i let him out in the yard he just follows me around, like he does every day in the house.  So if i shut the back door he will just look through the glass at me.  There's been times when I've left him outside for 5-10min and he will just lay down and wait.  It is kind of funny.  Dogs want to be with their owners, and next to maybe laying on the bed or the floor with you, lol, their #1 desire is to go for a walk with you.  Cherish that fact.

Cool.  Thanks.  I was going to look into getting a Border Collie, just because they are supposed to be really smart, but I'll check into a Great Dane too. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 05:37:23 PM »
I'm actually relocating to a cooler climate, so that will be good.  Newfie's are great dogs. 
Same here, bro.   :-\  I'm really attached to my dogs, and I'm having a hard time already with my two mutts getting older.  Not handling it well.  But I think the 7-10 years of joy that these bigger dogs could bring to my family is worth the memories. 

Yeah.  I agree.  Right now all we have is two cats, which is kinda gay.  Not there's anything wrong with that.  :)

My daughter and I were laughing (to ourselves) at a guy the other day who was walking his poodle.  Real men don't own poodles.  Do they?   

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2007, 05:44:33 PM »
I looked into Newfi's but they drool, so i got a Bernese Mountain Dog, 22 on the smart dog list, big as hell, double coat, super with kids, pull wagons, DRY mouth...fuzzy and love to be hugged. She's 75 lbs at 7 months.
L

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 10:20:52 AM »
Bernese Mountain Dogs are cool....

but you know what I like:   ;)

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 08:49:19 PM »
Bernese Mountain Dogs are cool....

but you know what I like:   ;)

In the face area, he kinda looks like those Bernese =P

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 08:33:45 AM »
In the face area, he kinda looks like those Bernese =P

In the face...he looks like a Rottie

;)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 10:44:03 AM »

You mean never in the house?    :-\

Unless it is a working dog (on a farm or something) why have a dog then?

If I misunderstood, my apologies.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2007, 12:31:20 PM »

You mean never in the house?    :-\

Unless it is a working dog (on a farm or something) why have a dog then?

If I misunderstood, my apologies.

I always had dogs growing up and they were always outside.  Never in the house.  What's wrong with that?